Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 16: the other games. VFL Round.

Round 16: the other games. VFL Round.

Due to the vagaries of coronavirus, it's something of a retro round, with most, if not all, games being played in Victoria. At the time of writing, the AFL site is still indicating that Adelaide Oval is the venue for the Adelaide v Brisbane match. Which seems a bit odd, as I'm pretty sure that both South Australian sides have fled to Melbourne. But anyway, I suppose that we should be thankful that games are still being played and that none of our coronavirus outbreaks have got disastrously out of hand.

The round starts tonight with Gold Coast hosting Richmond at...umm...Marvel. It would be nice if Gold Coast helped out our ladder position with an upset win, but on their recent showings, that doesn't seem likely. But then again, Richmond haven't been doing much of late.

The Friday night game is Geelong v Essendon. I guess the preferred result would be a Geelong win, to keep Essendon outside the eight.

The first Saturday game is much the same deal. I don't think that we can catch Melbourne, but I worry that we can be caught by GWS. So, it's go the Demons.

The next game is the aforementioned Adelaide v Brisbane. Another one where an upset might be handy, but if it's shifted away from Adelaide Oval, I don't really see that happening.

The Fremantle v Carlton game has been shifted from Perth to the MCG. On the threat to us basis, I suppose that we have to go for a Carlton win.

At the same time, Hawthorn are playing Port at Marvel. Would probably prefer a Hawthorn win, as that would help to shift them away from the really juicy draft picks.

The first Sunday game is us playing West Coast in Geelong. The odds have us as narrow favourites at $1.84. Which I suppose is about right.

The next game has Collingwood as similar favourites: which doesn't really seem right? But they are playing St Kilda, so who knows what's right? Actually, I might try a system for predicting St Kilda's form. Throw a 50 cent coin and a 20 cent coin in the air. If both land on heads, then it's the Saints by 40+. Two tails, and they lose by 40+. If the 50 is heads and the 20 is tails, then it's the Saints by 1 to 40. The other way around, then they lose by between 1 and 40. If one of the coins lands on the other, then it's a draw. I know, it doesn't seem all that sensible, but it probably makes more sense than using their form as a basis for prediction. Now that I've written that, I suppose I'll have to do the experiment. Two heads. Saints by over 40.*

The final game is the Bulldogs v North. Ohh, how we would all love an upset here.

*Disclaimer. This is an attempt at humour, it is not to be taken as financial advice.**

**Disclaimer. I don't really think that anyone would take that as financial advice.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Aside from my usual wish for Easton Wood to crash into the knees of teammates, which I know upsets some people on here, but anyways . . . (and yes, I know he's not playing at the moment)

I'd like Gold Coast to win because:

* as you said, it'd help us
    * their stellar collection of excellent young kids have got to come good at some stage
    * it'd be outrageously funny.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Aside from my usual wish for Easton Wood to crash into the knees of teammates, which I know upsets some people on here, but anyways . . . (and yes, I know he's not playing at the moment)

I'd like Gold Coast to win because:

* as you said, it'd help us
    * their stellar collection of excellent young kids have got to come good at some stage
    * it'd be outrageously funny.
    Yes, re Gold Coast.

Regular in the Side
    Thanks for another outstanding preview DejaVoodoo.

I'll be barracking for whoever is playing Essendon & Hawthorn, and for North and the Gold Coast for the comedy factor. I'd like Collingwood to lose, but I really don't want St Kilda to win, so I'm on the fence with that one.
    I really need us to beat West Coast, but I'm not as confident as the bookies unfortunately.

Got a funny feeling about Gold Coast tonight.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Tigers must be down on confidence. Now is the time to strike! Reckon if the Suns can get a good start, they could easily throw Tigers off their game.

Senior Player
    Without Greenwood makes it hard.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    So far, your feeling is spot on! Long way to go, though.

Senior Player
    Suns seem intent on kicking themselves out of this one. Could easily be 5-6 goals up and coasting if anyone could kick straight.

Credit to them though, giving it a crack and not letting up.

Go GC!!!!

Ending a dynasty and keeping our finals chances alive.

On a sidenote: 10-2 free kicks in the final quarter in favour of GC. AFL/umps definitely have agendas and anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves. Its a serious blight on the game .... buttttt go GC!!!
    Last edited by longmile; 1st July 2021 at 10:56 PM.

9 points up. 90 seconds to go.

Big stewy dew!

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast