Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 16 • Sydney Swans v West Coast Eagles @Geelong

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Laidler much maligned as development coach. Blakey has kicked on as a defender as well. People too quick to turn on someone.
    Blakey has improved since we left Laidler in Newcastle.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    You can't be serious.Heeney on fire in last quarter. If he kicks straight, he bags 6.
    I'm as serious as when I said we should move Mills to the midfield, which also evoked a You can't. be serious.

Senior Player
    Great, great win. Every player had a dip and contributed.

I will own up, I called for Amartey to be dropped but he stood up and grabbed his chance today - well done!

Mills excellent again - he is so consistent. Hewitt was very good too. Dawson, Gulden, Parker all very good. Blakey showed a lot today - bloody happy for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    You wonder if McLean or Reid might be given a go down back?
    I'm not sure McLean has enough mobility to play down back. And Reid is too important as a genuine swing man (if we can ever get him fit) to solely go down back - but perhaps he will.

But Amartey is absolutely doing everything to make himself a valuable player, and improving week on week. He may well hit a ceiling that is below others around the club that will ultimately compete in time with him for a place, but he is doing everything right today.

Was very happy to see Bell have a good game too - shame about the last kick. I still don't think he will quite make it as an AFL footballer, but I think its been an enormous effort just to get to this point - and again, as long as he can improve week in, week out, then in time he might carve out a spot in this team, or at very least become a valuable squad player for us.

Gee having Gulden back makes a difference too - I know it didn't end up with a goal, but that bit of play in the 1st quarter I think it was where he used Franklin as the outside decoy, then did a beautiful kick back across his body into the 50 to hit up the target showed the intelligent footy brain that kid has. He is going to be a seriously good footballer in time.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    That ground is the polar opposite of Optus Oval. In WA they run on top of the ground and the ball bounces differently. At Geelong the ground is heavier and the ball doesn't run on. It is almost as if they play in lead boots. Maybe it was too cold for them today.
    The funny thing is Nico, its probably very unsimilar to the SCG! Long and skinny whereas the SCG is basically a cricket ground. We do adapt to it very well!

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I still think Blakey could make a very fine midfielder in time (or forward) - but I liked what he showed today, there was a lot to like of him in that role. Creates a bit more discpline on his immediate priorities, and a bit more of a focus on first thought in what he does with the ball. Great to see as he has been struggling so much this season trying to work out 'what he is'.

So much to like out of that performance today - and while West Coast were friggin awful, that was partially their fault, but a lot of it was the intense pressure from us, great workrate, and in general good ball use. We really do seem to play GMBHA pretty well - it suits a handball game like we can play when we play well.
    It's slightly odd, though. A couple of years ago, Blakey and McCartin looked like being the mainstays of our future forward line, while it was debatable whether Amartey would make it as a player. Now, Blakey and McCartin look like being long term defenders, while Amartey is going from strength to strength as a forward/ruck.

Quote Originally Posted by Foreign Legion View Post
    Mills excellent again - he is so consistent. Hewitt was very good too. Dawson, Gulden, Parker all very good. Blakey showed a lot today - bloody happy for him.
    Mills is having an outstanding season, and I would suggest at this rate will be hard to hold our for our B&F. Was great today and clear BOG for mine.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    It's slightly odd, though. A couple of years ago, Blakey and McCartin looked like being the mainstays of our future forward line, while it was debatable whether Amartey would make it as a player. Now, Blakey and McCartin look like being long term defenders, while Amartey is going from strength to strength as a forward/ruck.
    How often have we seen it thought with forwards and defenders over the past couple of decades however!

I've always thought Amartey has had talent, but always wondered if he had enough to make it to AFL level - he has done that now. Whether he has enough to take the next step to become a regular choice over time and mainstay is still up for question - but a few more games like today (especially the contribution he made as a relieving ruck) and he is going to be very hard to dislodge. First time today I've felt that he has shown a bit of confidence that he 'can' belong at this level - for some players they have that from day dot. For some, it takes 50/100 games even before they hit that point. But all have that sort of 'light bulb' moment when they realise they are good enough to be good footballers at the AFL level. Maybe today will be that milestone for Amartey - I hope so!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

ABC Radio votes from David Parkin: Mills - 3, Hickey - 2, Blakey - 1.

Another advantage of Blakey playing back is that Dawson will shift to midfield or forward. His goal kicking is superb.

Hewett had an excellent all around game today. I'm having second thoughts about Lipinski.

Lloyd also found himself in the midfield a bit more today, and made some great plays when there. He's a very clever player and usually finds the best option.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Mills is having an outstanding season, and I would suggest at this rate will be hard to hold our for our B&F. Was great today and clear BOG for mine.

How often have we seen it thought with forwards and defenders over the past couple of decades however!

I've always thought Amartey has had talent, but always wondered if he had enough to make it to AFL level - he has done that now. Whether he has enough to take the next step to become a regular choice over time and mainstay is still up for question - but a few more games like today (especially the contribution he made as a relieving ruck) and he is going to be very hard to dislodge. First time today I've felt that he has shown a bit of confidence that he 'can' belong at this level - for some players they have that from day dot. For some, it takes 50/100 games even before they hit that point. But all have that sort of 'light bulb' moment when they realise they are good enough to be good footballers at the AFL level. Maybe today will be that milestone for Amartey - I hope so!
    Apparently Amartey was nowhere an AFL level of fitness, when he first came to the club. Tadhg was doing the ABC commentary a few weeks back, and he reckoned that Amartey couldn't manage a lap around the oval. Even if that's only half true, it still amazes me; as I just assumed that anyone who got drafted, would be some sort of athlete.

Veterans List
    Hewett doing what he does best makes a huge difference to team balance. 6 kicks and 18 handballs tells the story. If he wasn't played back for so long we could well have won those close loses. I think most had Blakey and JMc as the lock in for the wing. They were darn good off half back today. I would venture to say that was Blakey's best game.

Just an awesome win. Congratulations to the team on the park, the coaches and the selectors. Hope some of the unrelentingly negative posters on here remember that a young squad will be up and down, but this team is strong now and will be tremendous. Making finals this year will be great experience, and we’ll be real contenders again from next season on.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Another advantage of Blakey playing back is that Dawson will shift to midfield or forward. His goal kicking is superb.

Hewett had an excellent all around game today. I'm having second thoughts about Lipinski.

Lloyd also found himself in the midfield a bit more today, and made some great plays when there. He's a very clever player and usually finds the best option.
    I don't know how anyone can knock Lloyd. He gets so many possessions he has to make some mistakes. Most times he is in the right spot and reads the play so well.

I hope that puts to bed any thoughts of trading George Hewett.

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast