Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for round 17 Doggies v Swans

Regular in the Side
    If Reid is fit, he should definitely be selected. He is quite a versatile tall utility who has very good work rate and he is a very effective 2nd ruckman too. There is an article titled "Looking beyond footy’s ‘furphy’ stat to determine true All-Aus ruck contenders: Champion Index"
    Reid is ranked
    2nd forBest Hitout Differential (Win Rate)
    4th for Hitouts-to-Advantage Diff (Win Rate)
    5th for Best Direct Team Advantage After Ruckwork (Win Rate)

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    If Reid were to a) be fit and b) be seen as a key defensive option by the coaches (neither of which seems particularly likely), I imagine he'd come in for Fox (if not this week, eventually). He wouldn't come in to replace someone given the primary role of providing rebound from defence (which is what Blakey was doing against the Eagles).

More likely is that he will (eventually) return in place of Amartey, unless someone else in the forward line succumbs to injury in the meantime. He (Reid) was playing pretty good football before he got injured and he's in our best 22. Joel's shown some good signs and also had some less effective matches. That's to be expected. But going into a finals series (if we get there), I believe the 2021 team will be stronger with Reid over Amartey (or McLean, who, like Amartey) showed both good signs and inconsistency.
    Reid gives us a bit more flexibility (as well as experience and consistency) than the other 2 as well, given he has had successful stints pinch-hitting down back. It does give a fan some comfort though that Joel and Haydn have had some success at senior level if we have to lean on them over the course of a finals campaign. Generally speaking, it's great that so many of the squad have had a taste of it at senior level and most of those have had their moments when they've shown they aren't out of their depth. 2021 might not be our year, but we can still be a player of significance.

I agree that a fully fit, in form Reid, is our best forward / ruck. The issue as always is his durability. He may benefit with a gradual return via VFL to build fitness and be ready to really impact at AFL level towards the end of the season, especially with Amartey playing well at present.

The beauty of Amartey being in form is that it gives Reid time to find form in the twos before coming back in.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    The beauty of Amartey being in form is that it gives Reid time to find form in the twos before coming back in.
    True but what are the odds on him staying fit? if he breaks down again, surely we put a line through him on our list. Lost count of the amount of times he's acquired injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    True but what are the odds on him staying fit? if he breaks down again, surely we put a line through him on our list. Lost count of the amount of times he's acquired injury.
    Yes, he is injury prone so we shouldn’t expect more than around half a season’s games from him. But he is great to have for those games and now we have Amartey (and McLean) to gradually assume his role. Get back soon, Sam!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Yes, he is injury prone so we shouldn’t expect more than around half a season’s games from him. But he is great to have for those games and now we have Amartey (and McLean) to gradually assume his role. Get back soon, Sam!
    Too risky. Odds on him getting injured during a game is too high. Coach has too big a soft spot for him!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    +1

Sent from my SM-T865 using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

JUH debuting for the Bulldogs. Fox should be a great match up on him

Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    Should be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    Put Blakey on him. Good test to see if he can be a defender. I thought I heard Longmire say that Blakey was 197 or 198 cm tall, which puts him firmly in KPD territory.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Put Blakey on him. Good test to see if he can be a defender. I thought I heard Longmire say that Blakey was 197 or 198 cm tall, which puts him firmly in KPD territory.
    Weighs around 80kg flat out- firmly out of KPD territory

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast