Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Round 17: the other games. Everywhere but Sydney, even Mars.

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    IMO I think we should push for as many games at the MCG as possible whilst in Vic hub. Gain valuable experience come finals time particularly if we somehow make the big dance.
    I wonder what choice we had in the decision. I was really hoping for a ‘home’ game in Melbourne if there was no football in NSW, but it does not look like that will happen. We are being shoved out to the sticks each time. Not sure why.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    I wonder what choice we had in the decision. I was really hoping for a ‘home’ game in Melbourne if there was no football in NSW, but it does not look like that will happen. We are being shoved out to the sticks each time. Not sure why.
    This week there are MCG games hosted by Richmond, Melbourne and Collingwood on Friday, Saturday and Sunday respectively. Presumably, they are part of the allotment of home games for those clubs.

Next week there are MCG games on Saturday and Sunday, which interestingly enough includes Geelong hosting Richmond.

I think it makes sense we play in regional Vic in circumstances where the MCG (and Docklands) are likely already scheduled near capacity as allotted home games for Vic clubs and/or we are playing an out of town team.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    This week there are MCG games hosted by Richmond, Melbourne and Collingwood on Friday, Saturday and Sunday respectively. Presumably, they are part of the allotment of home games for those clubs.

Next week there are MCG games on Saturday and Sunday, which interestingly enough includes Geelong hosting Richmond.

I think it makes sense we play in regional Vic in circumstances where the MCG (and Docklands) are likely already scheduled near capacity as allotted home games for Vic clubs and/or we are playing an out of town team.
    Even with those other games, they could have manipulated the schedule to fit us in (they have recently been running Thursday night and even Monday night games). I also don’t think they are maximising attendances by taking them to regional locations. By and large the AFL is just getting a few thousand people (Swans fans) travelling from Melbourne to these grounds. It’s not like these grounds are full of neutral supporters.

Senior Player
    Even with those other games, they could have manipulated the schedule to fit us in (they have recently been running Thursday night and even Monday night games). I also don’t think they are maximising attendances by taking them to regional locations. By and large the AFL is just getting a few thousand people (Swans fans) travelling from Melbourne to these grounds. It’s not like these grounds are full of neutral supporters.
    Logistics seems pretty challenging this year, I don't begrudge the AFL reducing complexity by utilising vacant grounds.

I doubt there will be any crowds this weekend anyway.

Round 17: the other games. Everywhere but Sydney, even Mars.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I doubt there will be any crowds this weekend anyway.
    Which is one of the reasons they should have been trying to maximise crowd numbers in every relocated game. There were no games in Melbourne last year, and the Swans Victorian members are not an insignificant number. It would have been nice had they attempted to cater for a market that had already missed out on games.

[Edit: Although, as mentioned previously (perhaps in a different thread), I thought this week’s game should have been played in Canberra.]
    Last edited by Matty10; 14th July 2021 at 09:05 PM.

Senior Player
    Which is one of the reasons they should have been trying to maximise crowd numbers in every relocated game. There were no games in Melbourne last year, and the Swans Victorian members are not an insignificant number. It would have been nice had they attempted to cater for a market that had already missed out on games.

[Edit: Although, as mentioned previously (perhaps in a different thread), I thought this week’s game should have been played in Canberra.]
    It was going to be, but then the Victorian Govt shut the border to the ACT and NSW. Not soon enough, it seems.

I don't know man, I reckon these flare-ups make the point: just bank at the games in the easiest way possible.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    From the AFL site:
    "SYDNEY'S premiership push has received another boost, with the Swans to return to happy hunting ground GMHBA Stadium, to host Fremantle in round 19."

Really? I suspect that it would have been more of a boost, to return home to NSW.
    Sydney has won five of its last nine games at Kardinia Park. The only club with a better record at the ground in the last 10 years is Geelong.

If we can thump a top-eight side by 15 goals at the ground, then bring on more games there.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    Sydney has won five of its last nine games at Kardinia Park. The only club with a better record at the ground in the last 10 years is Geelong.

If we can thump a top-eight side by 15 goals at the ground, then bring on more games there.
    Sure, we go okay at the ground, but there's a fair chance, that most players and staff, would rather be in their own home with family and friends.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789