Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sydney Bloods?

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    P.S. The photo on my avatar is of Mark Browning. He was my favourite South player when I was a boy with his raking left foot kicks. He played for us that day 40 years ago and went on to be a great player for us in Sydney in the 1980s. To me he represents the two Swans eras.
    Ironically, your post was the 11th response to the original post. The number worn by Mark Browning for most of his career

(he started with #43, his dad, the late Keith Browning was also a South player)

I'm not sure of all the history but if I may be rude, South Melbourne ultimately failed to keep its identity in Melbourne through, partly, a lack of support financially, memberwise and unrewarding on field results. The Sydney Swans was slowly built after some really tough times in a non Aussie Rules environment. That new identity must be honoured and celebrated. I'm originally a South Australian but my love of the Swans has been forged over the years since we both 'LOL' arrived here in the early 80s. It's great to draw on the Bloods tradition and a new and traditional Melbourne supporter base, but I love the fact that essentially our identity is Sydney and we're helping slowly build a new AFL culture in a foreign environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Yeah we can, and we are. Just like you're a grown-up, but you're still the kid you used to be. Except I'd spell it "South Melbourne". "Malbne" is kind of ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    The club can have multiple nicknames. The club is officially the Swans, but there's no reason why other names cannot also be used.

Sydney is not the only club with multiple nicknames. North Melbourne uses "Shinboner" in a similar way to how we use the Bloods: it's a heritage name for the club.
    My thoughts exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    In late August this year, it will be the 40th anniversary of the last ever game played at the Lake Oval. Sadly, there does not seem to be any surviving video footage of that game. The Club was very divided at that time about whether to stay, merge or go to Sydney. The players ran out to be greeted by a run-through all in black. We were soundly beaten by North in front of a small crowd.

Its timely to reflect on that history. In 1981 we were a financially crippled club that had rarely tasted finals footy. Today we have a strong club and have experienced much success in the past 25 years in particular. We have great support in Sydney, a brilliant home ground. And the best away support of any interstate club. I feel the move, as painful as it was for many of us, has proven to be an outstanding success. Thoughts please.

P.S. The photo on my avatar is of Mark Browning. He was my favourite South player when I was a boy with his raking left foot kicks. He played for us that day 40 years ago and went on to be a great player for us in Sydney in the 1980s. To me he represents the two Swans eras.
    Quote Originally Posted by bodgie View Post
    I'm not sure of all the history but if I may be rude, South Melbourne ultimately failed to keep its identity in Melbourne through, partly, a lack of support financially, memberwise and unrewarding on field results. The Sydney Swans was slowly built after some really tough times in a non Aussie Rules environment. That new identity must be honoured and celebrated. I'm originally a South Australian but my love of the Swans has been forged over the years since we both 'LOL' arrived here in the early 80s. It's great to draw on the Bloods tradition and a new and traditional Melbourne supporter base, but I love the fact that essentially our identity is Sydney and we're helping slowly build a new AFL culture in a foreign environment.
    Great posts! Thanks for sharing.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

The Swans are undoubtedly Sydney’s team, but this is club football and the identity of our club is inextricably tied to, connected with, and a legacy and continuation of the South Melbourne Football Club.

People can connect to any aspect of our club’s rich history as they see fit - and it is good that they do. But the existence of one part of our identity does not cancel out the other.

The dual aspect of our identity is writ large. It is present on our guernsey, in our colours, within our club song and in the stands of the SCG.

Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    The Swans are undoubtedly Sydney’s team, but this is club football and the identity of our club is inextricably tied to, connected with, and a legacy and continuation of the South Melbourne Football Club.

People can connect to any aspect of our club’s rich history as they see fit - and it is good that they do. But the existence of one part of our identity does not cancel out the other.

The dual aspect of our identity is writ large. It is present on our guernsey, in our colours, within our club song and in the stands of the SCG.
    Amen, eloquently put.

pr. dim-melb; m not f

Hear, hear.

And I love watching the bloke in the cheer squad who waves around a big flag with BLOODS for everyone to see, and will always remember the way Brett Kirk was struck by it and insisted we use it for the team as well as the fans.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Hear, hear.

And I love watching the bloke in the cheer squad who waves around a big flag with BLOODS for everyone to see, and will always remember the way Brett Kirk was struck by it and insisted we use it for the team as well as the fans.
    I thought you meant literally smitten when I read that the first time.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I thought you meant literally smitten when I read that the first time.
    So did I, with images of the recent Tour de France disastrous wipe-out in my memory bank!

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Ironically, your post was the 11th response to the original post. The number worn by Mark Browning for most of his career

(he started with #43, his dad, the late Keith Browning was also a South player)
    Yes, GoSwannies. You are right on the money there. He was steeped in Bloods history and then went on to embrace the Sydney connection too. In the past couple of decades he has been involved in AFL talent identification in Qld. The article below talking about his induction into the Swans Hall of Fame tells some of this interesting history.

Mark Browning Chosen In Swans Hall Of Fame - Suncoast Power - GameDay

This is a brilliant post and sums it up so well for me.

Personally, I love both parts of our history. They are complimentary. Its unique in the competition to have those two identities. The Brisbane Lions/Fitzroy link is not the same as only a few Fitzroy players joined the Brisbane Bears list whereas we relocated an entire team from Melbourne.

Nice to read tbe Club trained at the Lakeside Oval today. First time they would have done so in 40.years?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast