Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sydney Bloods?

Sydney Bloods?

On SEN (Bob & Andy) they're taking a straw 24 hour poll whether the club should revert to the red V South Jumper and re-brand as the "Sydney Bloods". This came about after Bob & Andy's love of the heritage jumper the team wore yesterday and "The Bloods" nickname.

As an old South supporter my heart says YES but my head says NO because the "Swans" name has been so long entrenched with the club. The name "Sydney Swans" having that synergy which just rolls of the tongue. Plus the club has just spent sqillion$ on the new Swans logo & the Opera House silhouette jumper design better represents the city from a marketing point of view, even though i think the red V is more of a footy jumper.

Nevertheless curious to see end result of the poll just for fun, knowing result is not going to make any impact.

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    On SEN (Bob & Andy) they're taking a straw 24 hour poll whether the club should revert to the red V South Jumper and re-brand as the "Sydney Bloods". This came about after Bob & Andy's love of the heritage jumper the team wore yesterday and "The Bloods" nickname.

As an old South supporter my heart says YES but my head says NO because the "Swans" name has been so long entrenched with the club. The name "Sydney Swans" having that synergy which just rolls of the tongue. Plus the club has just spent sqillion$ on the new Swans logo & the Opera House silhouette jumper design better represents the city from a marketing point of view, even though i think the red V is more of a footy jumper.

Nevertheless curious to see end result of the poll just for fun, knowing result is not going to make any impact.
    No to Bloods. We’re the Swans and the Bloods but the Swans is our mascot for decades

Yes to wearing some sort of heritage jumper (not always the red V) more often. I love them!

Keep the Swans name for sure.

Would be keen for the heritage jumper to be our away jumper.

Pushing for Selection
    Are we the Sydney Swans or are we South Malbne? We cant be both.

Quote Originally Posted by greeng View Post
    Are we the Sydney Swans or are we South Malbne? We cant be both.
    Yeah we can, and we are. Just like you're a grown-up, but you're still the kid you used to be. Except I'd spell it "South Melbourne". "Malbne" is kind of ridiculous.

Suspended by the MRP
    Dont fall for it , anyone who thinks they are being complimentary saying this #### needs to wake up , they are offering this alternative as proof that they dont currently think of us as the Bloods already !

I like that the club has multiple monikers, but there is no chance, and I doubt much desire, to change from Sydney Swans.

As an aside, I often yell out “go you blood-stained angels” at the game or “carn the Bloods”, but just as often “carn the Swanners” and if someone asks who I barrack for I invariably say “the Swans”.

I might also join in either a “Syd-ney” or a “Syyyyddney” chant but only in the last 20 years (it took a while to get to this point), but for whatever reason I never say “swannies”.

Occasionally, I might yell out “go South” if I am feeling a bit cheeky - and joining in with the “South Melbourne” chant was quite fun on the weekend.

However, my kids are just as likely to say they go for “Sydney” as the “Swans”.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Dont fall for it , anyone who thinks they are being complimentary saying this #### needs to wake up , they are offering this alternative as proof that they dont currently think of us as the Bloods already !
    Whoever “they” are, couldn’t give a toss what “they” think. It’s what we, as Swans supporters, think and believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Yeah we can, and we are.
    Exactly how I feel. I love our rich history. The legends of the halcyon days of the 1930s. Our Brownlow successes. Even the VFA successes that immediately led to our admittance to the VFL. But I equally love our successes as Sydney.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    The club can have multiple nicknames. The club is officially the Swans, but there's no reason why other names cannot also be used.

Sydney is not the only club with multiple nicknames. North Melbourne uses "Shinboner" in a similar way to how we use the Bloods: it's a heritage name for the club.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Incidentally, this reminds me of a thread I started ages back (2010 - just looked it up) where I suggested we make an amendment to our club song. One of the suggestions thrown into the mix was to change “honour the name” to “honour the Bloods”, which a few people seemed to like (me included).

Club Song

Aside from the merits or otherwise of the suggestions, it is interesting to see the names of so many who used to be regular posters.

In late August this year, it will be the 40th anniversary of the last ever game played at the Lake Oval. Sadly, there does not seem to be any surviving video footage of that game. The Club was very divided at that time about whether to stay, merge or go to Sydney. The players ran out to be greeted by a run-through all in black. We were soundly beaten by North in front of a small crowd.

Its timely to reflect on that history. In 1981 we were a financially crippled club that had rarely tasted finals footy. Today we have a strong club and have experienced much success in the past 25 years in particular. We have great support in Sydney, a brilliant home ground. And the best away support of any interstate club. I feel the move, as painful as it was for many of us, has proven to be an outstanding success. Thoughts please.

P.S. The photo on my avatar is of Mark Browning. He was my favourite South player when I was a boy with his raking left foot kicks. He played for us that day 40 years ago and went on to be a great player for us in Sydney in the 1980s. To me he represents the two Swans eras.
    Last edited by Aprilbr; 13th July 2021 at 01:24 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast