Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 18 v GWS @ Metricon Stadium Gold Coast, Sun 18 July 6.10pm

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Bell is the weakest link, surely RB returns to on field action.

Campbell and Reid listed as "test" so may be nice additions to the VFL side, Chad Warner listed as 1 week so almost certain to return through the VFL. Three very good players to strengthen us in coming weeks.
    Reid did play VFL on the weekend. So hopefully that's slightly outdated information on the AFL site; rather than a new injury or an aggravation of his previous problem. It will be nice to see Campbell again. Last time that he played VFL, he looked a class above.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Bell is the weakest link, surely RB returns to on field action.

Campbell and Reid listed as "test" so may be nice additions to the VFL side, Chad Warner listed as 1 week so almost certain to return through the VFL. Three very good players to strengthen us in coming weeks.
    Agree with all this.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Logan McDonald come in for Bell with Heeney to play more midfield.

Hi all,

Pretty rare that we get the luxury of being able to go in unchanged after a great win! We've got the chance to be able to do it... TWICE! I say we keep the faith and see how far this team can roll on!

A telling factor in our team win last week was the performance of many of the star Bulldogs players. Caleb Daniel is their best distributor but he had 10 turnovers against us. The Bont is their prolific goalkicking midfielder and he didn't hit the scoreboard. Macrae was kept under 30 for the first time this year, and Libba was kept to under 20!! Bailey Smith was named their BOG, and that is a victory for us! Good young player but he's not damaging with the ball (except when he is kicking goals in the first 10 seconds heh...)

The beauty of all of the above is that none were heavily tagged! I appreciate Hewett's input into the midfield, but he was swapping between Libba and Macrae rather than just one hard tag.. it was more of a great team effort of 22 players working TOGETHER to limit the impact of a handful of frankly wonderful players! Very hard to see JL - who values TEAM efforts above all - making unnecessary changes to that formula!!

CHEER CHEER

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    What other stats do you want? He had 3 score involvements (only defenders Rampe, Cunningham and Fox had less with 2), he laid 2 tackles for the game, and had 13 pressure acts.

I actually really like the guy and won’t be upset if he retains his spot. He tries his guts out. However, I do think that there are more talented and effective players not in the team who could come in this week. If we were to lose and Bell was to have the same stats, people would be screaming for him to be dropped.
    I understand where you’re coming from .. I just don’t see the value in dropping him this week after that performance albeit there are more effective and obviously more talented players such as Chad on the sidelines ..does bringing in players in unnecessarily affect the team balance we had and can Chad use another week …if we lose yes he probably would be the one everyone points the finger at ..although you don’t know that with consistency of ganes he’s not going to be all the better for it and do we need to make changes as Neón Bible quotes
    It’s not like I don’t understand your stats it’s just that I think after that win it’s unnecessary to change and to the eye he didn’t let me down in what I saw

Bell for RB is a no brainer. Ballarat isn't a great place to play footy - wind, freezing and good chance of rain. We need to tackling machine in to help at the coal face.
    If you didn't watch the Suns Giants game on Sunday - the highest possession winners were inside players. Just a comparison of the that game and ours...
    - Swans Dogs had 1 of the top 10 possession winners go at under 70% efficiency
    - Giants Suns had 1 of the top 10 possession winners go at over 70% efficiency

This will be a game for the bulls. Would also consider CoR down back for his strength.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Based on this:

* Chad's still a couple of weeks away from even playing reserves
    * Reid will keep building match fitness over a period
    * Melican and Campbell now fit to start playing reserves.

Reid returns whilst Warner progresses
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by joeykanga View Post
    I understand where you’re coming from .. I just don’t see the value in dropping him this week after that performance albeit there are more effective and obviously more talented players such as Chad on the sidelines ..does bringing in players in unnecessarily affect the team balance we had and can Chad use another week …if we lose yes he probably would be the one everyone points the finger at ..although you don’t know that with consistency of ganes he’s not going to be all the better for it and do we need to make changes as Neón Bible quotes
    It’s not like I don’t understand your stats it’s just that I think after that win it’s unnecessary to change and to the eye he didn’t let me down in what I saw
    I think we are reading the same book if not exactly on the same page.

I'm not unhappy to remain unchanged but I'd prefer to keep improving rather than waiting for a loss to change the side. If next week was the Grand Final, would you have the same philosophy of remaining unchanged?

Quote Originally Posted by The Runner View Post
    Bell for RB is a no brainer. Ballarat isn't a great place to play footy - wind, freezing and good chance of rain. We need to tackling machine in to help at the coal face.
    If you didn't watch the Suns Giants game on Sunday - the highest possession winners were inside players. Just a comparison of the that game and ours...
    - Swans Dogs had 1 of the top 10 possession winners go at under 70% efficiency
    - Giants Suns had 1 of the top 10 possession winners go at over 70% efficiency

This will be a game for the bulls. Would also consider CoR down back for his strength.
    Hi The Runner,

You make some great points! I had not taken into account that every game and every ground will throw up a different set of conditions and a different tempo the game will be played at. I am fully with you that we will need our best midfield of bulls on song to beat GWS! They are a fierce unit in their midfield! It's an intimidating lineup - Hopper, Kelly, Green, Ward and Taranto. All strong and ferocious at the contest!

A player like Rowbottom does make sense in the line-up.. but it has to be said... which Rowbottom would we get? If it's the one that can't get on the field for more than 70% of the game and looks timid and nervous at the contest then is it really a win for us?? And even if it was the Rowbottom that was rated so highly, how do we fit him in?? We wouldn't want to mess with our midfield of Joey, Parker, Mills, Hewett and Florent that's worked so well in recent weeks!!

Interesting times ahead. I don't envy the selection committee one bit!!

No mumford

Quote Originally Posted by NeonBible View Post
    Hi all,

Pretty rare that we get the luxury of being able to go in unchanged after a great win! We've got the chance to be able to do it... TWICE! I say we keep the faith and see how far this team can roll on!

A telling factor in our team win last week was the performance of many of the star Bulldogs players. Caleb Daniel is their best distributor but he had 10 turnovers against us. The Bont is their prolific goalkicking midfielder and he didn't hit the scoreboard. Macrae was kept under 30 for the first time this year, and Libba was kept to under 20!! Bailey Smith was named their BOG, and that is a victory for us! Good young player but he's not damaging with the ball (except when he is kicking goals in the first 10 seconds heh...)

The beauty of all of the above is that none were heavily tagged! I appreciate Hewett's input into the midfield, but he was swapping between Libba and Macrae rather than just one hard tag.. it was more of a great team effort of 22 players working TOGETHER to limit the impact of a handful of frankly wonderful players! Very hard to see JL - who values TEAM efforts above all - making unnecessary changes to that formula!!

CHEER CHEER
    I think it was master coaching by Longmire. They made the doggies do what they are not good at and not comfortable doing. Spread wide, made them defend one on one, prevented their dinky handballs, and made them kick to one on one contests. It was just amazing to watch, how well organised we were and how well we ran without the ball.

But we were beaten in clearances and contested ball. If we do that against Giants they will probably beat us. We do need some good clearance work. Not sure what the answer is. RB us tackling well but does he provide the speed and tactics in that space. I am keen for Errol to be there but I know that may be a bit too much to ask from an 18 yr old.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Here's an interesting videos from AFL Exchange titled: Is Sydney a Sleeper in the premiership race?

You won't want to miss these 4 minutes and 19 seconds of incisive analysis about the Swans, as we usually don't get much coverage from this Vic centrist crew.

Is Sydney a sleeper in the premiership race?

The AFL site has now made a change by stealth. The original video you noticed has now labelled as "How should Richmond attack the off-season? " The genuine "Is Sydney a sleeper in the premiership race " can be now seen at
    "New Video Address"

Senior Player
    Looks like we'll experience Ballarat at its Ballaratest.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast