Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 18 v GWS @ Metricon Stadium Gold Coast, Sun 18 July 6.10pm

Changes for Round 18 v GWS @ Metricon Stadium Gold Coast, Sun 18 July 6.10pm

Well, surprised this thread hasn't kicked off yet. Are we content with no change or does someone have to come in? Do we need Amartey's rucking or has Logan earned a call up? Could Buddy be needing a break?

I regard RB as best 22 but everything is working well without him and the team is better balanced. Perhaps whatever he's being managed for may still apply and justify him staying in magoos. How far are Warner and Campbell off recall? I expect at least Campbell will have to come back via the twos but maybe not - Gulden didn't.

GWS played the same venue in blustery conditions last week and may have learned a bit about the ground. They are also have Coniglio, De Boer and Bruhn pressing for selection. It's not going to be easy and I'm certainly not taking our favouritism for granted.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Well, surprised this thread hasn't kicked off yet. Are we content with no change or does someone have to come in? Do we need Amartey's rucking or has Logan earned a call up? Could Buddy be needing a break?

I regard RB as best 22 but everything is working well without him and the team is better balanced. Perhaps whatever he's being managed for may still apply and justify him staying in magoos. How far are Warner and Campbell off recall? I expect at least Campbell will have to come back via the twos but maybe not - Gulden didn't.

GWS played the same venue in blustery conditions last week and may have learned a bit about the ground. They are also have Coniglio, De Boer and Bruhn pressing for selection. It's not going to be easy and I'm certainly not taking our favouritism for granted.
    Unchanged line up for me. This team is playing well together and no-one deserves to be subbed except for an injury. Logan / Rowbottom to replace COR as the sub.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Whitfield is out for the plastics.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Weather could be a massive factor in the game as it was for the Giants v Suns game, especially compared to Marvel. The wind could play havoc with our precision kicking game plan.

I dont think we will make any changes. We seem to have the right balance of talls and smalls.

I expect the Giants will make some changes.
    Even though Findlayson is on the outer, and didnt do much as the sub, they will be tempted to take in 3 tall forwards (Findlayson, Hogan and Himmelburg) against our undersized defence. A common trap that would be foolish if its windy.
    I also think they will bring in Cognilio, as a replacement for Whitfield. Cogniglio's kicking disposal is 100x worse than an under 11's auskicker, which is 100x worse than Whitfield. So by my calculations, Cognilio in is a major bonus for us (10,000x).

Form says we shall win easily. But Derbies ignore form lines. Will be interesting. Should have been played at the MCG.

No changes this week. I think that RB/Logan/Stephens/Campbell and Warner are the only one who could get a look in this team. But if RB needs to improve in certain aspects, he should do a couple more weeks in the 2s. And same with Stephens. I think none of these above players need rest except maybe the ones who haven’t recovered, so leave them in 2s to gain confidence and get them ready as they may be needed later in the season.
    If Blakey continues to do what he did last 2 weeks, Campbell comes through the 2s. The only one who could be straight starter is Warner but again he has had a few weeks off now. I wonder if he too spends a week or 2 in the reserves.

Outs: Gulden (managed)

Ins: Rowbottom

Gulden has played three games in a row and I think that’s enough. One week off then back in. 6 day break as well.

Rowbottom will ad some grunt around the contest.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    Outs: Gulden (managed)

Ins: Rowbottom

Gulden has played three games in a row and I think that’s enough. One week off then back in. 6 day break as well.
    As much as I like RB, this is just weird. How long into a young players career do they need to be 'managed'? While top 4 is still a chance for us, Gulden will remain in the team and if the club indeed deem a break is necessary for him, I suspect it will be against lesser opposition.

I know you didn't mention him but the same goes for Buddy.....who probably has a greater need to be managed.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 13th July 2021 at 05:51 PM.

I can see us going in with an unchanged side again and wouldn't be too upset. However, I do keep worrying about Bell long term and so would be happy for him to be replaced by any one of RB, McDonald, Stephens, Campbell, or Warner if they are fit. I know stats don't tell everything but 9 possessions and 27 metres gained is not a great game for JB even with the 1 goal.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    As much as I like RB, this is just weird. How long into a young players career do they need to be 'managed'? While top 4 is still a chance for us, Gulden will remain in the team and if the club indeed deem a break is necessary for him, I suspect it will be against lesser opposition.

I know you didn't mention him but the same goes for Buddy.....who probably has a greater need to be managed.
    It’s informed player management. Gulden, Campbell and Chad have spent time on the sidelines with injures linked to playing for too long and at too high intensity. It’s pretty tough physically to play through the intensity of an AFL season at 18 or 19 years old.

I week off here and there helps.

As for Buddy. He decides. The big man must be feeling great so probably best to keep him going.

Senior Player
    Seems like the policy is usually no change after a good win, unless forced. I'd be happy with that.

I don't know to what extent "team balance" is a real thing - sometimes it does feel like you get a run of games where the players seem to work well together. Changes is always forced eventually of course.

My guess is no changes this week.

But a couple of considerations might be:
    1. Rowbottom played only 3/4 of the reserves game, but played well. So his workload is still being managed. There's a chance he could replace Bell. We could use his midfield power to improve our stoppage performance.
    2. McDonald had a strong game in the reserves and seems a better choice than Amartey in the predicted inclement weather. Amartey has had his big moments and has rucked well for a backup. Toss up call.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    My guess is no changes this week.

But a couple of considerations might be:
    1. Rowbottom played only 3/4 of the reserves game, but played well. So his workload is still being managed. There's a chance he could replace Bell. We could use his midfield power to improve our stoppage performance.
    2. McDonald had a strong game in the reserves and seems a better choice than Amartey in the predicted inclement weather. Amartey has had his big moments and has rucked well for a backup. Toss up call.
    Can't ruck Mcdonald. Hickey needs a chop out. Amartey stays. Admit it's tempting to include Logan.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast