Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Umpiring: the good, the bad and the ugly

Shouting at the umpires is like shouting at clouds.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Shouting at the umpires is like shouting at clouds.
    Please explain

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    No doubt the giants were @@@@@@ over royally too.

But I think the 22 point margin masks the impact of the umpiring that day somewhat too. We were within what 6 or 7 points with around 5 minutes of in play time left in the game. They kicked those couple of late goals to blow the margin, when the damage had already been done.

The issue more broadly with free kick counts is they only capture the actual free kicks given. In many games it those that aren't given that should be given (that Grand Final being a good example). So the statistics only capture part of the story.
    These comments haven't helped me MCS. I had put 2016 behind me. Now I've got to ring my psych team and tell them I need to go back
    to sessions five days a week. There's only so many of their kids I can afford to put through private school.
    Last edited by KTigers; 15th July 2021 at 11:36 AM.

No doubt the giants were @@@@@@ over royally too.

But I think the 22 point margin masks the impact of the umpiring that day somewhat too. We were within what 6 or 7 points with around 5 minutes of in play time left in the game. They kicked those couple of late goals to blow the margin, when the damage had already been done.

The issue more broadly with free kick counts is they only capture the actual free kicks given. In many games it those that aren't given that should be given (that Grand Final being a good example). So the statistics only capture part of the story.
    There's also the issue of where the free kicks are given. I'm convinced that often one team are given soft frees in front of goal, then late in the match somehow the free kick tally gets evened up with free kicks in the middle of the field that have no impact.

If we're thinking about technical solutions, what about a system similar to boxing? Where there are, say, 5 umpires watching the footage on TV. Then if 4 of them hit the "free kick" button within a second then a free kick is blown? Given the on-field umpires seem to miss a whole bunch that we can see on TV this might be a solution. Would be interesting to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Please explain
    Clouds are independent bodies of water molecules that completely ignore what any human says to them. A bit like umpires.

Senior Player
    Clouds are independent bodies of water molecules that completely ignore what any human says to them. A bit like umpires.
    I like clouds. Some of them are quite pretty. Comparing them to AFL umpires is just really mean Barry.

Thanks

Spot on. You can’t look at the final margin and then the free kick count to get an accurate reflection in that game. Teams take risks when they are behind late in the game that they may not have otherwise taken. It should also be taken into account that the missed below the knees free kick to Jack may well have contributed or led to the later missed free and injury on Hannebery.

Having said all that, we don’t know how the Bulldogs would have responded to a game impacted by more reasonable umpiring. They may well have won. We were just robbed of the opportunity to see that play out.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Thanks Neil, I really enjoy your contributions.
    Likewise Meg!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    In the VFL days, poor umpiring performances would be punished with a move to one of the country leagues for a week or two for penance before returning to the big time in Melbourne.....leading to the phrase "He'll be up the country next week!" when referring to an umpire who was having a bad day. Alas, this wouldn't work in a national league.
    I remember something from a few years back when we played Carlton at Marvel stadium...(I think it was called Telstra Dome back then). Razor was umpiring and he was giving frees to Carlton, especifically to Judd. At half time as the umpires were coming off the ground near where I was sitting, I yelled out to Razor that he would be umpiring the Reserves the next week. He took it well and gave me a smirk.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    I remember something from a few years back when we played Carlton at Marvel stadium...(I think it was called Telstra Dome back then). Razor was umpiring and he was giving frees to Carlton, especifically to Judd. At half time as the umpires were coming off the ground near where I was sitting, I yelled out to Razor that he would be umpiring the Reserves the next week. He took it well and gave me a smirk.
    Of course. He was the centre of attention at that moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Thanks
    Maybe he means that they disappear and you’re left shouting at yourself and then they reappear again magically like Ray Chamberlain ..
    I swear I need counselling ..getting flashbacks just seeing him in tonight’s non swans match

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast