Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Umpiring: the good, the bad and the ugly

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Here it is, a thread all about umpiring.

Go nuts!!

I reckon it will give the Tippett-thread™️ a run for it’s money
    Thanks for this Mark. I doubt I'll ever read this thread, but I'm very glad it exists.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Thanks for this Mark. I doubt I'll ever read this thread, but I'm very glad it exists.
    Likewise

@@@@ing Chamberlain again this weekend. Rubbish umpire & rubbish human. I can defintiely see the need for this thread for me this week. (Particularly as my wife is an Essendon supporter. My "@@@@ umpiring" outbursts won't be agreed with this week)

Ok so reading footballistics...

On umpiring bias...

"It means that umpire bias accounts for approximately 40% of all home-ground advantage in the AFL. It is difficult to imagine any other single factor – whether that be the benefit of familiarity with the venue, or the rigours of travel faced by the visitors – could exceed an effect of that size. Moskowitz and Wertheim’s hypothesis that umpire bias is the most significant contributor to home advantage therefore rings true for the Australian game. That is not to say, of course, that umpires in any way intend to favour home teams. But perhaps it is time for the league to at least acknowledge the noise of affirmation, so that it can train its officials to deal with it."

I note that intuition is there is team bias. The league table of frees for and against would seem to support this. The book doesn't that.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/frees.html

The for against ratio should be a normal distribution...

I'm going to look at this in more detail on the weekend.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post

On umpiring bias...

"It means that umpire bias accounts for approximately 40% of all home-ground advantage in the AFL. It is difficult to imagine any other single factor – whether that be the benefit of familiarity with the venue, or the rigours of travel faced by the visitors – could exceed an effect of that size. Moskowitz and Wertheim’s hypothesis that umpire bias is the most significant contributor to home advantage therefore rings true for the Australian game. That is not to say, of course, that umpires in any way intend to favour home teams. But perhaps it is time for the league to at least acknowledge the noise of affirmation, so that it can train its officials to deal with it."

I note that intuition is there is team bias. The league table of frees for and against would seem to support this. The book doesn't that.

I think that the fact that only one team doesn’t finish in front for frees for at home games and only one current team finishes in front for frees for during away games indicates that there is some unconscious umpire bias created by the crowd.
    Having said that however it’s hard as a supporter not to think some umpires just don’t like us 😢

Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post

On umpiring bias...

Wouldnt the hub games last year and this year, played at neutral venues prove or disprove crowd influence umpire bias.

I think its a relatively small factor. But I think umpires have teams they are bias too.

There is home ground advantage and then there is AFL/VLF/media bias

How to you estimate "home ground" advantage when a Melbourne-based team can be an "away" team at Docklands or the MCG? Even if they have more crowd tickets, they can be shared with rels and friends so the crowd disproportion is less significant than for interstate teams and games.

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    I haven't seen any mention of the goal review which resulted in the original "touched off the boot" call from the field umpire being overruled.

Mills had said he touched it, even "Zaccy" gestured to his teammates that it was touched. Watching the replays, there was no definitive evidence that suggested that they should overturn the decision, yet they did.

I haven't seen the video umpire do this before, did I miss something?

Quote Originally Posted by Goal Sneak View Post
    I haven't seen any mention of the goal review which resulted in the original "touched off the boot" call from the field umpire being overruled.

Mills had said he touched it, even "Zaccy" gestured to his teammates that it was touched. Watching the replays, there was no definitive evidence that suggested that they should overturn the decision, yet they did.

I haven't seen the video umpire do this before, did I miss something?
    NO YOU DIDNT! Ridiculous!

Interesting comment from Barrett this morning:

IF ... the Bulldogs got a very nice run from the umpires in the 2016 finals series, and just ask John Longmire for his thoughts on that year's Grand Final ...
    THEN ... they're off to a flyer again in the 2021 series. Regardless, they absolutely belted the Bombers in Launceston, and looked to have returned to being the Dogs of rounds one to 20.

Im really starting to like Damien Barrett.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast