Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 19 v Freo

Changes for Round 19 v Freo

Word is that we will play Freo on Sunday at Metricon. Time TBC.

Glad we don't play until Sunday because it seems we will need all of that time to recuperate.

Reports are that Mills and Cunningham and O'Riordan (and Sinclair and I don't remember who else) have to quarantine and self-isolate for 14 days from last Tuesday. Happily this means they will be available to train and play the following week for our match against Essendon.

Will there be changes? Who might come in or go out?

I don't think anyone significant is ready to return from injury yet - Sam Reid probably not there yet. Warner not still working his way back. Melican - not sure but I don't think he's played reserves yet. I don't think Brayden Campbell is quite there yet either and I think there's a fair chance he may come back via the reserves.

What about the players who are not returning from injury? The main option I would consider, if we were to make a change is to bring in Logan McDonald. Now that Hayward is in good form as the medium sized forward, and with Mills still out, we could consider moving Heeney to a more midfield role which is where the space to include McDonald would come from. This would have to be at the expense of Stephens or Bell. I'm quite tempted to have another look at McDonald before finals and see whether there is room for him in the team and what he can offer. By now we have a fair idea of what Bell can offer. I would quite like to see more of Stephens. He shows real promise and, although he probably offered less than Bell against the Giants, he had played the day before. If we do bring McDonald in, it would mean that we are taller and might reduce our front half pressure (which might be a reason to lean towards retaining Bell over Stephens because Bell will apply more pressure and we already have plenty of run and good ball use in the team, which is what Dyl would offer).

The other option would be to bring Gould in. But the only person you'd consider substituting him for is Fox, and I think Fox is doing enough to hold his place.

Otherwise we reward the form players and stick with those who have gotten us the results and go in unchanged. I'd be happy with that too.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Suspended by the MRP
    Chad for Rowbottom
    McDonald for Bell

Heeney playing more on a wing to make room for McDonald

Regular in the Side
    Confirmed for now: The Sydney-Fremantle game slated for Saturday afternoon at GMHBA Stadium will take its place in the Sunday afternoon slot and be played at Metricon Stadium on the Gold Coast at 12.30pm EST.

- - - Updated - - -

Full statement from AFL on R19 fixture

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Chad for Rowbottom
    McDonald for Bell

Heeney playing more on a wing to make room for McDonald
    Good changes for me.

McDonald would return in form which is important.

I don’t think Chad will be ready this week.

Out - Bell
    In - McDonald

Regular in the Side
    "Revised" Round 19

Friday, July 23
    Port Adelaide v Collingwood at Adelaide Oval, 6.40pm ACST
    Saturday, July 24
    Carlton v North Melbourne at Marvel Stadium, 1.45pm AEST
    Brisbane v Gold Coast at the Gabba, 3.10pm AEST
    West Coast v St Kilda at Optus Stadium, 2.35pm AWST
    Adelaide v Hawthorn at Adelaide Oval, 5.40pm ACST
    Melbourne v Western Bulldogs at the MCG, 7.25pm AEST
    Sunday, July 25
    Sydney v Fremantle at Metricon Stadium, 12.30pm AEST
    Geelong v Richmond at the MCG, TBC
    Essendon v GWS Giants at TBC

I think they'll be lobbying behind the scenes for exemptions... particularly as has been pointed out on another thread, were we still in VIC, they'd be free to play, as are Saints players. Didn't the AFL have a fairness policy last year?

Assuming Mills and Harry can't play, I'd also like to see Logan get a run.

OUT: Bell
    IN: McDonald

Any word on performance in the scratch game against the GC?

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I think they'll be lobbying behind the scenes for exemptions... particularly as has been pointed out on another thread, were we still in VIC, they'd be free to play, as are Saints players. Didn't the AFL have a fairness policy last year?

Assuming Mills and Harry can't play, I'd also like to see Logan get a run.

OUT: Bell
    IN: McDonald
    The Swans are in Qld and I think they just have to cop it.

I’m not worried about the managed players. They will be rejevinated when they come back in.

In the meantime J-Mac and Blakey’s destructive half back running continues and Rowbottom and Stephens have an opportunity to continue to build confidence.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Confirmed for now: The Sydney-Fremantle game slated for Saturday afternoon at GMHBA Stadium will take its place in the Sunday afternoon slot and be played at Metricon Stadium on the Gold Coast at 12.30pm EST.

- - - Updated - - -

Full statement from AFL on R19 fixture
    That's a good result I reckon - Freo will now be coming off an 11 day break but at least we get a full week as well now.

Senior Player
    Reid in for Bell if he got through the scratch match

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    Reid in for Bell if he got through the scratch match
    Yep agree with that.

Senior Player
    Bell is in the team for his run and pressure. But he only had 5 disposals (2 turnovers), 1 tackle, 11 pressure acts, 7m gained.

It was easily his least impactful of his current run of 5 games.

He's had a run at it and I think it's time to move on to someone more likely to make an impact in a final. I'd go with Rowbottom.

I think it's too early for Reid. I'm not sure Dylan is ready for finals.

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast