Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Round 19 - Sydney Swans v Fremantle @Gold Coast

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by lwjoyner View Post
    again fox commentators against swans. not one on fox is at least even handed when broadcasting us. Must also say channel people are much the same. Footscray get away their throws always and no comments from them.
    Didn't notice anything. David King has been very appreciative of us recently and I thought was reasonable today.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post
    Bell was great. Many score involvements. Great reward for effort un the third quarter. They were gassed in the last. Next week is a danger game. The looked very tired and aore after the game.
    Hmm. Missed a number of tackles. I still don't really trust him.

More effective than Ronke, though.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    I’m yet to be convinced that Stephens is ready (either on or off the field) to be thrown in at this point in time. Chad should come in when fit. Squizzy? Not sure.

Ronke rarely sighted today & maybe Campbell should get another crack.

Bell and Wicks are vying for a spot - imho, Bell has an edge in effort & 1%ers - but Wicks the edge in attack. Neither certain starters in full strength team, but I dunno…

Buddy could benefit from a rest, so a week off will not be a disaster (unless the Vic press get involved and any suspension is longer than warranted) - unfortunately I always like to see him up against the bombers.
    Disagree - Wicks' effort always superior to Bell's. I'd be surprised if Bell has had more pressure acts than Wicks in a game. Wicks is also best 22.

We were three short of our best 22 today: Mills, Cunningham and Warner for Ronke, Bell and Rowbottom.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    I'm not so sure about Campbell 'getting another crack'.
    I had the impresion he was injured and managed, not dropped.
    Won't he just come back when fit?
    Or have I missed something?
    I think he'd slipped to the reserves when he was injured. Who do you move from defence for him?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I thought he got dropped first.

Any news on Sam Reid? He went off in Q4 and didn’t return
    You sure? Pretty sure I saw him get interchanged with about 5min left. 78% TOG.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Reid should be okay. Not injured.

Warner didn't play VFL, so still a couple of weeks away, at least.

Campbell and Melican both played, so should be available.

Ryan Clarke led all players with 35 disposals.

Pierce Roseby had 29 possession playing on loan to Essendon. Looks in line for an academy selection this year. McCartin kicked 3 goals for Essendon.
    26 disposals for Stephens, I notice - more kicks than handballs, which is a good sign.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I hope you're right but I fear that much like a jury who are instructed "the jury will ignore that last testimony", the MRP will have the Vic-biased commentators 'thoughts' on the incident fresh in their minds and while they should rightly ignore it.....much like a jury, they may not.
    Buddy deserves to get a week. I didn't hear the King/Brereton business everyone is banging on about, but he flung an elbow at a head, expecting to connect.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Disagree - Wicks' effort always superior to Bell's. I'd be surprised if Bell has had more pressure acts than Wicks in a game. Wicks is also best 22.

We were three short of our best 22 today: Mills, Cunningham and Warner for Ronke, Bell and Rowbottom.
    Im not sure if you’re 100 per cent correct on that from today’s gane..didn’t notice Wicks as much as I noticed Bell today and am equally fond of what they both bring to the table.

I don’t think they’ll drop Bell based on that performance ..you can correct me if I’m wrong on Thursday

Agree with above.

What about Melican in for Robbie Fox? Melican has more height and strength while Fox is quicker.

I think a back six of:

Cunningham Melican Rampe
    J-Mac McCartin Blakey

Lloyd as spare small defender off the bench.

Contains speed, height, half back drive good kicking and good lockdown capability.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Sun View Post
    I feel bad for Bud. Stupid to throw the elbow like that I know, but he is ragged, scragged and tagged at every contest, and very rarely gets frees. I understand his frustration.
    I’m not sure but it looked like Ryan actually gave him a low blow before he lost it.

Senior Player

This

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    Agree with above.

What about Melican in for Robbie Fox? Melican has more height and strength while Fox is quicker.

I think a back six of:

Cunningham Melican Rampe
    J-Mac McCartin Blakey

Lloyd as spare small defender off the bench.

Contains speed, height, half back drive good kicking and good lockdown capability.
    Disagree.

Lloyd is our general down back. Club B&F winner, playing well. Just don't understand the disrespect for him on this forum.

Fox is playing above his size effectively, has not been beaten in weeks. As I said a few weeks ago, seems to play better as a key position defender rather than small / medium. Melican would want to be braining it in reserves to unseat Fox.

Defence in the modern game is very much about the unit not just about the one on ones. Cutting off supply and repeat 50s also are crucial. Hence why defenders can give away height and size yet still be effective. Looking purely at the measurements of the players is overly simplistic.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Disagree.

Lloyd is our general down back. Club B&F winner, playing well. Just don't understand the disrespect for him on this forum.

Fox is playing above his size effectively, has not been beaten in weeks. As I said a few weeks ago, seems to play better as a key position defender rather than small / medium. Melican would want to be braining it in reserves to unseat Fox.

Defence in the modern game is very much about the unit not just about the one on ones. Cutting off supply and repeat 50s also are crucial. Hence why defenders can give away height and size yet still be effective. Looking purely at the measurements of the players is overly simplistic.
    Fox was outstanding yesterday. Clean, incisive runs, kicked well. He has a tremendous leap, so is very effective with spoils. Agree that he handily has Melican's spot.

Fox was outstanding yesterday. Clean, incisive runs, kicked well. He has a tremendous leap, so is very effective with spoils. Agree that he handily has Melican's spot.
    Agree. Fox is also a very good user of the ball. Yet another capable of streaming out of our backline and delivering the ball with precision. He’s improved every game.

Suspended by the MRP
    No way fox or wicks are dropped

Bell shouldnt be either

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    No way fox or wicks are dropped

Bell shouldnt be either
    Only changes this week will be to get Mills and Harry back in, likely outs Ronke and Rowbottom. If Buddy is "rested" by the MRO, McDonald should be promoted.