Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes to R20 V Dons

Pretty good position that we have 3 players ready to replace Buddy.

Logan is the best long term prospect but would be my last picked now, namely as the other two will be able to better take over from Buddy in a final this year if he goes down injured. May as well play them now when we can.

I would go Amartey over McLean namely due to his ruck ability. That leaves Reid to play the Buddy full forward role and do no rucking, which he is more than capable of. Also eases him back better from injury.

Assuming no injuries, Bell and Ronke would clearly be the ones to make way for Mills and Harry.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    Agree.

When you have Reid as back up ruckman you can play another pure tall forward as opposed to a hybrid ruckman / forward that Amertey and McLean are.

Good opportunity for McDonald. If he plays really well then he may put pressure on Hayward’s spot as 3rd tall.

According to one poster, Amartey may be being held back as Reid and Hickey have child births coming up and may have to enter NSW. This will lead to two week delays in their availability to play outside NSW. Amartey may be very important in covering that period and can’t afford any injuries now.

I would always pick Rowbottom over Bell. Rowbottom has more talent and if he needs to play some time up forward has demonstrated that he’s a decent kick for goal.
    Rowbottom may have more talent but I don’t see him replacing Bell up forward in that role.

Bell may go out this week but I still think he’ll keep his spot ..he played his role perfectly and that was his best gane so far .

I’d love to see Amartey back but then again Logan has been impressive and McLean ain’t too bad either ..it’s nice to have the choices

Ronke had zero impact so his time as a senior AFL player is probably up. Mills is a star so he obviously comes straight back in. Assuming Harry's fitness is not too impaired by the covid break he should be back in too. Whether Bell or Rowbottom makes way may depend on potential match ups.

The loss of Buddy provides an interesting dilemma as to which of McDonald, Armetey or McLean comes in to replace him. McDonald is a lead up style forward. Reid is like that too. The other two are bigger and can take pack marks. Armetey can also take tap outs. Perhaps that gives Armetey the edge? Tough selection calls this week.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post

We play at the Gabba. Not a happy hunting ground for us.
    We smashed the Lions there earlier in the year.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    We smashed the Lions there earlier in the year.
    I was there that night and was in awe of the way we played especially the speed and accuracy of our ball movement it was as good as any football we had played for quite a few years. I remember saying to my wife after the game that IF we could play like that for the rest of the year then anything could happen. I believe it still can.

Our game this year is built on fast transition from turnover pressure. At times we have been soundly beaten in clearances yet still have stayed in the contest with pressure and making the most of our scoring opportunities. As a pressure player, especially in F50, Bell is superior to RB. I think he will stay.

Re. Buddy's replacement, I'd go with Amartey. As mentioned, he will take the ruck chop out, a job he was doing very well. Reid looked a bit off in the ruck on Saturday, in particular in the first quarter. Meek and Darcy were able to present it to Mundy on a platter and Freo managed a couple of goals from the centre clearance. It will also be better for Reid's body at this point not to ruck.

Ins: Amartey, Mills, Cunningham
    Outs: Buddy, RB, Ronke

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    Our game this year is built on fast transition from turnover pressure. At times we have been soundly beaten in clearances yet still have stayed in the contest with pressure and making the most of our scoring opportunities. As a pressure player, especially in F50, Bell is superior to RB. I think he will stay.

Re. Buddy's replacement, I'd go with Amartey. As mentioned, he will take the ruck chop out, a job he was doing very well. Reid looked a bit off in the ruck on Saturday, in particular in the first quarter. Meek and Darcy were able to present it to Mundy on a platter and Freo managed a couple of goals from the centre clearance. It will also be better for Reid's body at this point not to ruck.

Ins: Amartey, Mills, Cunningham
    Outs: Buddy, RB, Ronke
    Agreed Ralph. RB is more talented than Bell but Bell’s pressure is very useful and can lead to scores. He deserves his spot at the moment and RB is not yet back to full fitness so a rest will do him good.

Buddy is a bit stiff to be rubbed out but it will be interesting to see how we attack without him- it is important for the team’s evolvement to work on all avenues to goal meaning all the forwards need to contribute. Papps is playing well but his kicking can let him down- set shots are a bit hit and miss. Same applies to Sam Wicks and it would be nice if he could get a bit more of the ball. Definitely need Amartey for second ruck so Reid can stay in the forward line as our main tall. Shame we can’t fit Logan in the team at this stage!

Senior Player
    I tend to agree with the general consensus of Amartey Mills and Cunningham coming in to the team. And as much as it pains me to say I think Rowbottom is probably going to have to make way at this stage. When you have a stat like 28-2 tackles in F50 and the coach highlights the forward pressure applied you would have to think Bell will be retained.
    Amartey returns for the reasons outlined previously by other more knowledgeable posters however in my opinion giving Logan another opportunity would not be a move that could be viewed as risky.
    I made a point of watching Ronke through the binoculars in the last quarter for a while and he was working hard and providing reasonable leads but it seemed like his teammates didn’t have the confidence to kick to him or maybe they just saw better options. He appeared a little lost and his body language appeared to be one of someone who realises they possibly aren’t part of future plans.
    I hope he gets another opportunity somewhere where he can regain his confidence and continue his career. You need a certain amount of ability to kick 7 goals in a match and physically that ability doesn’t usually disappear until age catches up with you. Mentally however I imagine it can happen at any time.

Any brisvegas rwo members going on Saturday night. I'm keen!

Looking at raw numbers won't help Bell in the Bell or Rowbottom debate, as Rowy had him beat in both tackles inside 50 (3 to Bell's 1) and also pressure acts and forward 50 ground balls. He was also important in putting the clamps on Brayshaw, Serong those guys in stoppages in our forward 50 which helped lock it in and one of his smothers led directly to a turnover in possession that resulted in a shot at goal for Swans!

However I prefer Bell in the side mainly because I see a role for him to play in the forward line that I don't see Rowbottom having in the midfield with Mills returning. Someone mentioned to me on Twitter that Bell and Franklin have a bit of a connection happening, no doubt the result of training and now playing together!! Yes he is a low possession player and there may be others who can offer more than Bell in other ways, but the synergy between our forwards is wonderful at the moment!! Don't mess with it!

Veterans List
    I feel immensely sad for Ben Ronke. He has endured a long time with injury and got an opportunity again, but it is very hard to fit back into the pace of the game after such an absence and limited game time. James Bell has been given a good run at it with very low average stats in essentially a role that Ben was asked to do previously. It could be argued that Ben is more likely to bob up and kick goals than James. Unfortunately with our small forward set up as it is, it seems most unlikely he will get another call up this year.

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    In: Mills, Cunningham, McDonald
    Out: Franklin, Ronke, Bell

Agree that the decision is between dropping RB or Bell. I'd prefer he didn't have to, but I think Franklin's absence pushes Heeney forward a bit more. This means I think RB will be retained to provide more midfield support.
    This is my best guess as well, but would like to find a place for Melican to counter the tall combo of Hooker and Wright. Maybe RB goes out as well. Blakey looks a good match for a similar type player in Cox.

It we think about the possibility of playing Geelong in finals, we will need 2 legit tall defenders. We can't put Fox or Rampe on Cameron of Hawkins and hope to get away with it.

Our midfield of Kennedy, Parker, Mills and Hewett is a bit slow, but they're all playing well.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast