Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes to R20 V Dons

I am of the view that our backline is too short and other teams know that. Hawthorn exploited that aspect very well against us and most other teams have deliberately brought in tall forwards to try to take advantage of this deficiency with varying results. Even the Dockers last week had big Darcy down there at times and he took grabs against us. Fortunately for us the guy's goal kicking is crap! Opposition teams will continue to try to isolate their tall forwards against our short defenders. Our pressure on the ball carrier has been excellent in recent weeks which has made it harder for this tactic to work.

Melican is probably our only tall back option at this stage (I am assuming that Brand is not considered good enough) but he needs some Reserves game time before playing seniors again. Gould is not tall enough to play on the monsters in my view.

Perhaps 10-14 ;days in a hotel room has reduced fitness and they need to spend a week in the two's. McLean replaces suspended Franklin

I will agree to disagree about Melican, Ludwig. I don't share the confidence in Melican you have. He tends to delay getting the ball on and doesn't have the height to hold down CHB or FB. Just my thoughts, Ludwig and I would enjoy being proven wrong if Melican gets back to the 22 and contributes positively.

Regular in the Side
    Quite agree with Ludwig. Earlier in this season, Melican was playing with Rampe injured or slightly not in form and he had to shoulder more responsibilities. As a result, he was sometimes get caught. Now with our backline stable and steady, we should be able to carry him even if he plays less than 80% TOG (Rampe now often plays 100%TOG). However whose place he will be taking? I think Cunningham is required in the team. What about pushing Dawson forward and let Melican be part of our 7 defenders?

Veterans List
    Dawson should only be a starting back in extreme circumstances, has proven far too valuable in recent weeks as a wingman, has great skills and footy smarts

Changes to R20 V Dons

Most of the discussion on this thread becomes irrelevant (for this week) now that Buddy is free to play.

Mills and Cunningham two definite ins. Not sure who goes out. Ronke an obvious choice at this stage of the season with others available. Bell likely the other exclusion.
    Last edited by Matty10; 27th July 2021 at 07:50 PM.

It would be mildly amusing if we decided to rest Buddy now.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Dawson should only be a starting back in extreme circumstances, has proven far too valuable in recent weeks as a wingman, has great skills and footy smarts
    Agree. Swapping Blakey and Dawson has been better for both players. Dawson makes an excellent tall utility, but I like him more as a mid forward where he can get goal kicking opportunities.

Pushing for Selection
    Now that Buddy is free to play, it would be ironic if JL chooses to rest him, but I doubt he will.

I see Cunningham and Mills as certain to return.

Ronke is definitely one of the outs, with a difficult choice for the other. Bell has been really good for the last month and plays an important role.

I'm going to agree with TB that Rowbottom might be the one to go. I suspect he hasn't been 100% fit since the Lions game in Round 1.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Agree. Swapping Blakey and Dawson has been better for both players. Dawson makes an excellent tall utility, but I like him more as a mid forward where he can get goal kicking opportunities.
    Superboot!

Mills and Harry for Ronke and Bell/Rowbottom

Regular in the Side
    How about this - IN: Mills, Cunningham, Melican
    Out: Ronke, Bell and Rowbottom (-->Medical Sub?)

7 Backs: Rampe, McCartin, Fox, Cunningham, Llyod, Blakey, Melican
    9 Mids: McInerney, Florent, Dawson, Hewett, Gulden, Hickey, Kennedy, Parker, Mills
    6 Forwards: Buddy, Reid, Papley, Heeney, Wicks, Hayward

Our players have played as a team and most are capable of playing multiple roles.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    How about this - IN: Mills, Cunningham, Melican
    Out: Ronke, Bell and Rowbottom (-->Medical Sub?)

7 Backs: Rampe, McCartin, Fox, Cunningham, Llyod, Blakey, Melican
    9 Mids: McInerney, Florent, Dawson, Hewett, Gulden, Hickey, Kennedy, Parker, Mills
    6 Forwards: Buddy, Reid, Papley, Heeney, Wicks, Hayward

Our players have played as a team and most are capable of playing multiple roles.
    These would be my suggestions now that Buddy is free to play. This may be our best team. Yet it's so hard to think that it doesn't include Warner, Rowbottom or Campbell. That's some real quality to leave out of our team. We need to think of the Swans best 25+, not just a best 22.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast