Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Where will the Grand Final be played?

Now that it's highly likely the GF will be played outside of Vic for 2nd year running, I reckon this will generate talk of rotating GF around the different states even though the MCG is contracted for next 40 years. As stadiums across the nation improve, people will question why did the AFL acted upon with such short sightedness as we'd highlighted here on this forum.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Now that it's highly likely the GF will be played outside of Vic for 2nd year running, I reckon this will generate talk of rotating GF around the different states even though the MCG is contracted for next 40 years. As stadiums across the nation improve, people will question why did the AFL acted upon with such short sightedness as we'd highlighted here on this forum.
    The MCG deal is absurd. It should be as simple as it is for the rest of the finals: give the top side advantage via a home ground.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

How can the MCG still be a chance?

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    It's in Perth, just announced.
    sprite

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    I wish KSAS, but it'll never happen. I read that they will extend again the MCG contract (just for a year) as a result of moving this years grand final from there. As much as that would be a fantastic result, it won't happen any time soon sadly
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite View Post
    It's in Perth, just announced.
    Yep, set in stone after today's Vic Covid numbers and continuing lockdown. Great stadium.....should be a great day! I reckon the pandemic is demonstrating how silly the long term locked in GF contract with the MCG is.....let's hope it leads to the same contract being torn up but I can foresee the Vic govt. seeking an extension as 'compensation' for 'missing out'....which the A(V)FL will probably be only too pleased to sign....to look after 'their' fans.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Yep, set in stone after today's Vic Covid numbers and continuing lockdown. Great stadium.....should be a great day! I reckon the pandemic is demonstrating how silly the long term locked in GF contract with the MCG is.....let's hope it leads to the same contract being torn up but I can foresee the Vic govt. seeking an extension as 'compensation' for 'missing out'....which the A(V)FL will probably be only too pleased to sign....to look after 'their' fans.
    Without knowing the details of the contract, I suspect there are prohibitively high compensation clauses built into it if there was any move to terminate the contract.

I assume there were probably significant $ attached in terms of compensation for just moving the game away last year and now this year, despite the absolute unpredictable nature of the reason for why they have had to be moved. Hence the offsetting benefit of the AFL extending the term of the deal to offset it.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veterans List
    Deleted: Wrong thread.

Senior Player
    Apparently Eddie is not going to be allowed into the Peoples Republic of West Australia to see the GF. Gutted.

The idea of a rotating grand final as pushed by Damien Barrett has merit. Rather than give it to the highest ranked qualifier, which involves last minute scheduling which the AFL dont want, his idea is to set a 10 year plan, so every 3rd or 4th year its outside the MCG, no matter who gets into it.
    eg.
    year 1: MCG
    year 2: MCG
    year 3: Optus
    year 4: MCG
    year 5: MCG
    year 6: MCG
    year 7: Adelaide oval
    etc, etc.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Apparently Eddie is not going to be allowed into the Peoples Republic of West Australia to see the GF. Gutted.
    Apparently he also tried to get his 2 sons in by saying they are "producers" of his media company which is a load of bull@@@@.

Last year his son went with him to QLD and they were caught out partying at a night club.

Interestingly in the week post the GF there has been media discussions on whether the GF should be rotated around the country, particularly in the light how well it was presented at Optus stadium last Saturday. Don't think any serious push will come out of it with the MCG being locked away for the next 40 years, but at least it opened up some eyes down here in Vic.

I'm curious how many average footy followers were able to get access to tickets last Saturday at Optus stadium, compared to the MCG where only small number tickets is available to members of the competing teams. Most of the 100k crowd is made up of Corporates, MCG & AFL members. I recall sitting back at 2014 GF when game (sadly) was over before half time, noticing at most only a third of the crowd boisterously cheering when either side kicked a goal. I got impression on TV the crowd involvement last Saturday was greater despite the 60k capacity.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast