Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finals 22 - with a twist

Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    Sorry, can’t set that. I watched the game three times. Bell applied a lot of pressure and created scoring opportunities with tackles etc which resulted in goals shortly afterwards.
    Bell applied less pressure and had less tackles and less tackles inside 50 than RB. So using the IU2 structure I’d be giving Bell’s spot to Sir James.

The other question for me is whether you bring in the Pelican for Fox, who has played really well recently, or whether you back our undersized “KPD Division” to stand up for the rest of the season.

Apart from Ronke and to a lesser extent Bell, no one deserves to be dropped.

Senior Player
    I can't believe we're having a discussion which countenances the possibility of Bell playing over Warner when everyone is fit.

They'd make it work somehow.

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    I believe you're right regarding the structure that Horse has settled on and that doesn't necessarily equate to the most talented players getting a run together.

FWIW, I think John Longmire and the staff should just continue whatever they've been doing, the Swans are well and truly on the right path. If that means the likes of Campbell, Warner and Rowbottom can't get into the 22 then that's ok. These guys are all still so young, I have no doubt they have long careers ahead of them in the red and white.

I'm going to happily sit back and watch this team evolve, confident in the clubs direction and decision making ability.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    The last two posts are probably the debate that goes on in match committee regularly. Right now, we have a reasonably settled structure. We still play with offensive intent, but … that’s what makes it a challenge for some blokes to get back into the side.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

I really like the way you have broken it down I’m Uninformed2, and i wonder if the MC look at it like you have as well and then just fit guys into the traditional playing position names. It would make a lot of sense.

I’d probably look at our current structure like

2 KPF (1 with ruck abilities)
    2 Goal kicking smalls
    1 Negating small
    2 Pressure smalls (1 on bench)

1 Ruck

3 Midfield bulls (1 on bench)
    1 Negating Mid
    4 Speedy ball use mids (1 on bench)

2 KP Defenders
    3 Defensive half ball users (1 on bench)
    1 Lockdown Defender

But of course there are many other ways you could group them or look at it. I have often wondered before if our game would ever get to a more Ice-Hockey style setup, where you play your “Power team”, “Speed Team” “Pressure Team” or “Defensive team”.

Now im really interested to know what MC actually do in this regard!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    Here is my finals team:

B - Cunningham Melican Rampe
    HB - J-Mac McCartin Blakey
    C - Florent Mills Dawson
    HF - Heeney Reid Hayward
    F - Papley Franklin Wicks
    Foll - Hickey Parker Kennedy

Inter

Lloyd
    Hewitt
    Chad
    Gulden

Medical Sub - Rowbottom
    Good team but Fox would be unlucky. He's getting better as the season goes on. Pity he's not taller....

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Good team but Fox would be unlucky. He's getting better as the season goes on. Pity he's not taller....
    I think Fox is playing really good football. It’s the teams with the three big forwards that worry me. Finals bound teams like Geelong, Melbourne, and the West Coast Eagles can unleash three big forwards against us. Against those teams Fox would be relying on assistance from pressure up the field and from aerial support from Rampe and Blakey. Melican would be valuable against those teams. Against the Western Bulldogs, Brisbane, GWS and Port, whom don’t play very tall up forward, Fox will be fine.

I think Blakey will be so important to this backline. Rampe, McCartin and Fox will be relying on Blakey’s elite speed and high leap to be able to jump in from the side and kill a lot of high balls. He’s been in All Australian form the last 4 weeks. If he mantains this form you suspect that the defence will be very effective over the potential next 7-8 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Bell applied less pressure and had less tackles and less tackles inside 50 than RB. So using the IU2 structure I’d be giving Bell’s spot to Sir James.

The other question for me is whether you bring in the Pelican for Fox, who has played really well recently, or whether you back our undersized “KPD Division” to stand up for the rest of the season.

Apart from Ronke and to a lesser extent Bell, no one deserves to be dropped.
    You are happy with Reid first up? I think Sammy always takes about 3 matches to hit top form. I just wish those matches were in the reserves.

Ronke will go. So will Rowie I think.

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bennyfabulous View Post
    I really like the way you have broken it down I’m Uninformed2, and i wonder if the MC look at it like you have as well and then just fit guys into the traditional playing position names. It would make a lot of sense.

I’d probably look at our current structure like

2 KPF (1 with ruck abilities)
    2 Goal kicking smalls
    1 Negating small
    2 Pressure smalls (1 on bench)

1 Ruck

3 Midfield bulls (1 on bench)
    1 Negating Mid
    4 Speedy ball use mids (1 on bench)

2 KP Defenders
    3 Defensive half ball users (1 on bench)
    1 Lockdown Defender

But of course there are many other ways you could group them or look at it. I have often wondered before if our game would ever get to a more Ice-Hockey style setup, where you play your “Power team”, “Speed Team” “Pressure Team” or “Defensive team”.

Now im really interested to know what MC actually do in this regard!
    Great post.

I also like the interesting discussion you have started with this thread, I'mUninformed. I think you're absolutely right that they pick a team using a breakdown of these kinds of roles, not the traditional positions.

I, like bennyfabulius, am not convinced the breakdown is necessarily as you have suggested IU2 (not suggesting it's wrong either). More particularly, I'm not convinced the set up always stays the same from match to match i.e. not just the players named change, I think the roles played gets tweaked a bit too. This is particularly true when we are hit by injuries and have to adapt.

I would love it if the coaches were more transparent about this. But it's not that easy to figure out and I guess that's why clubs employ opposition analysts, and why coaches don't give too much away.

Anyway, to answer your question, IU2, you could get Warner in for Bell by switching Heeney into the F50 "pressure" role. However, while I agree some roles are more defensive than others, I think a huge part of our team ethos is that every player has to apply a lot of pressure. We don't have any Dustin Martins. Not even the Lizard or the Nut (J-Mc).

Pressure is Horse's mantra. I remember him being interviewed a while back and being asked about 'the state of the game' and its aesthetic and how we could get more goals. He said that personally he finds 'pressure footy' really satisfying (to watch) and doesn't crave goals so much.

The main way to counter attacking raids is to work as a cohesive unit. Our defensive end has looked great of late and until it looks fragile, I would be loathe to change it just on the basis that Melican makes it look stronger on paper due to his size. Fox is playing in career best form.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    The main way to counter attacking raids is to work as a cohesive unit. Our defensive end has looked great of late and until it looks fragile, I would be loathe to change it just on the basis that Melican makes it look stronger on paper due to his size. Fox is playing in career best form.
    Agreed about Fox- started very hesitantly against the Weagles but has really picked up form and played very well last week: I was pleasantly surprised! Still think we need to have Melican available against teams playing 3 monster forwards.

Regarding positional player selections: I also follow soccer in the EPL, Liverpool ( of course!) and the manager (Juergen Klopp) favours players who are versatile and can play in several positions if needed. Hence I have RB and the Chad ahead of both Bell and Wicks, though both these guys have played well recently. RB can play midfield, forward and a tagging role if needed whereas Bell and Wicks have only played up front. The Chad is not only versatile, like J Mac, but has heaps of ability to win the ball etc as we all know. Therefore he must be in our best 22.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    This is a good point. When you watched the Hawks game, their strategy to proactively target McCartin with little blocks and shepherds to stop him using his height and marking ability was ruthless and brilliant. But it was also clearly our deficiencies up the ground that made it easier for them to execute.

That element was made more obvious in the match against WCE, who arguably have one of the best three-headed monsters in the comp. But it didn't matter because of what happened up the ground.

The only two forward lines that worry me are Geelong, given its depth, quality and variety - and Port at their best.

But right now it's a moot debate. Fox is playing superbly, we've gone four from four and he's done well over that stretch, and I like Melican more than most on here, but he always seems to take a while to get back to his best form, and time is running out.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast