Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rowbottom - put it all in here!

Veterans List

Rowbottom - put it all in here!

Here's a thread dedicated to the most argued about Swans player.

So put it all in this thread and stop derailing and clogging the Trade/Drafting/List Management thread - PLEASE

Warming the Bench
    Out of interest, who else has had so much discussion about their worth in the team in recent years?

I recall so many posts about Dean Towers, McVeigh in his final years and Tippet. Also Alex Johnson but that was an unusual situation.

Any others come to mind that either generated a lot of strong debate or passionate posts re whether they should be in the team/list or not?

Is it just the case that the forum needs a flogging boy, and RB is it for a couple of posters?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    Out of interest, who else has had so much discussion about their worth in the team in recent years?

I recall so many posts about Dean Towers, McVeigh in his final years and Tippet. Also Alex Johnson but that was an unusual situation.

Any others come to mind that either generated a lot of strong debate or passionate posts re whether they should be in the team/list or not?

Is it just the case that the forum needs a flogging boy, and RB is it for a couple of posters?
    The last part of your last sentence is the correct answer

Veterans List
    I really like RB and still reckon he's going to be a long term Swan and a very good one. I agree with the detractors that he is not playing as well this year as last season but I don't think he's been 100% since his round one injury. I think he's been playing sore and it shows a bit. Next season will be the definitive one as to where his long term trajectory is headed. Potential gun to me.....and IMO this year will be seen as a career hiccough.

Veterans List
    Dropped for the Dons game

Gold medal for you Maltopia - nailed it in one. That's all that needs to be said on this topic - unless we all need to be told off again for being unworthy of the analysis from the deity class...
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Thought Rowbottom should have been played ahead of James Bell.

Offers more talent up forward.

Dean Towers

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Relative View Post
    Dean Towers
    He was the one for me. I really liked his enthusiasm- every time a teammate scored, he was there to pat them on the back(or backside) but unfortunately rarely scored himself. He was dropped and brought back with monotonous regularity- up and down like hooker’s undies.I’m sure he had some ability- however he seldom showed it. Mostly he was where the ball wasn’t and when on the rare occasion he did get it, wow you really took notice!

I seem to recall one match where he kicked 3 goals. I thought that would buy him a run of games, but no, he was dropped again the week after! Eventually got to 50 games, but boy, were they painful to watch.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Here's a thread dedicated to the most argued about Swans player...
    Ben Mathews?
    Paul Bevan?
    Jason Saddington?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I really like RB and still reckon he's going to be a long term Swan and a very good one. I agree with the detractors that he is not playing as well this year as last season but I don't think he's been 100% since his round one injury. I think he's been playing sore and it shows a bit. Next season will be the definitive one as to where his long term trajectory is headed. Potential gun to me.....and IMO this year will be seen as a career hiccough.
    This ^^
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

FWIW, I'd rather have Butters but thought the stats comparison was interesting.

I actually had a quick look back to the 2018 AFL "superdraft" and (although it's still early days), there are quite a few disappointments in the first and second rounds. The top 7 or 8 would also still get picked at the pointy end but it drops off a bit after that. Other midfielders taken in the first round before RB, in draft order, include Chayse Jones, Jye Caldwell, Zak Butters, Jackson Hately, Jordan Clarke, Ned McHenry, Xavier Duursma, Liam Stocker, Riley Collier-Dawkins, Ely Smith, and Xavier O'halloran.

If a re-draft was being done, I can honestly see RB being picked in the top 3 or 4 of that list. The biggest steal has turned out to be Justin McInerney who is a KB special.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast