Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Round 20: the other games. The long odds of someone doing us a favour.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    Sorry, I have to disagree. The 2016 Bulldogs premiership is the most undeserved in my eyes with the lopsided free kicks throughout the whole finals campaign. Who knows if they would have even made the Grand Final with more even officiating?
    +1

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    IMO finishing in the top four is overrated in a year where sides have ended up playing home games two states away from home.

Sometimes there are benefits to finishing 5th to 8th. On current ladder positions and recent form, we would get a home final against West Coast. That's as good as a double chance right there.

So there's not a lot of sense in hoping for a top four finish.

It's a shame that West Coast got flogged by Collingwood, making it more likely that they will not finish seventh.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    IMO finishing in the top four is overrated in a year where sides have ended up playing home games two states away from home.

Sometimes there are benefits to finishing 5th to 8th. On current ladder positions and recent form, we would get a home final against West Coast. That's as good as a double chance right there.

So there's not a lot of sense in hoping for a top four finish.

It's a shame that West Coast got flogged by Collingwood, making it more likely that they will not finish seventh.
    Benefits of finishing top 4: margin of error; proximity to preliminary final.

I think it's still a big advantage and am holding out hope.

Senior Player
    Sorry, I have to disagree. The 2016 Bulldogs premiership is the most undeserved in my eyes with the lopsided free kicks throughout the whole finals campaign. Who knows if they would have even made the Grand Final with more even officiating?
    They shouldn't have even been in 2016 GF. Plus ten free kicks in a six point win over the Giants in the prelim.

Senior Player
    You may well be right, however it should be noted I have had all memories of the 2016 GF surgically removed.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    They shouldn't have even been in 2016 GF. Plus ten free kicks in a six point win over the Giants in the prelim.
    Absolutely spot on! The umpires got them over the line in the Prelim. They shouldn't have even been in the GF, let alone win it. It should have been an all Sydney Grand Final.

The Bulldogs won the free kick count in all 4 of the finals they played in 2016 and the further they advanced, the greater the free kick differential in their favour.

EF - won the free kick count by 4
    QF - won the free kick count by 5.
    PF - won the free kick count by 10.
    GF - won the free kick count by 12.
    Last edited by Sandridge; 1st August 2021 at 12:27 PM.

Senior Player
    Australia has won another gold medal. In the BMX. We now have 13. New Zealand only has 4, the Brits have 9. Losers....
    As long as we beat them, the games has been a success.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    BMX was unreal. There were at least three points when I stopped breathing!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    Hawks leading Brisbane 21-1!

Two goals from inside 50 free kicks is handy when not against us.
    Last edited by Maltopia; 1st August 2021 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Extra info

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Absolutely spot on! The umpires got them over the line in the Prelim. They shouldn't have even been in the GF, let alone win it. It should have been an all Sydney Grand Final.

The Bulldogs won the free kick count in all 4 of the finals they played in 2016 and the further they advanced, the greater the free kick differential in their favour.

EF - won the free kick count by 4
    QF - won the free kick count by 5.
    PF - won the free kick count by 10.
    GF - won the free kick count by 12.
    When I take over the Gill's position next year one of my first executive orders will be to have the 2016 Grand Final game and result annulled.
    And the game will be replayed in the preseason next year between us and GWS using the same team lists as existed in 2016. So for us
    Hanners will be back, as will Gary Rohan, Zac Jones and Tom Mitchell. A bunch of guys will have to come out of retirement (Jarrad, Keiran,
    Tippo, McGylnn, Grundy and a couple others) for the game. The Giants will have to bring 13 guys back, mostly from other teams as they
    were a bit younger than us and a lot of them are still playing.
    I'm not expecting the standard of footy to be that great, but that isn't the point. It will be about answering the biggest question in footy ;
    Who really won the 2016 premiership? Us or the Giants. Because all we really know for sure right now is the Bulldogs sure as hell didn't.
    The only Bulldog I'll allow to keep his faux premiership medal from 2016 will be Bob Murphy. He didn't play in 16 so it's only fitting he should
    have one of those fake medals.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Australia has won another gold medal. In the BMX. We now have 13. New Zealand only has 4, the Brits have 9. Losers....
    As long as we beat them, the games has been a success.
    What a horrible outlook.

Hawks leading Brisbane 21-1!

Two goals from inside 50 free kicks is handy when not against us.
    Hawks up by 50 with a qtr to go. matters less if we can’t beat bombers.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast