Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Clarkson departing Hawthorn at end 2021

My problem wih Caroline Wilson is her unremitting negativity. She's like the ambulance chaser of AFL journalism. She writes well but her craft is limited to approbrium. I'd like to see her balance our her systematic dismantling of humans through weighty moral judgement, with some uplifting exposition from clubland.

As an aside, Alistair Clarkso is a bloke with a wife and kids who rocks up to work each day and does his best, like the rest of us. Good to remember that now and again as we swipe and tsp away launching our own highly personal invective. And yes, I've been guilty in the past!

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    That sounds a little unfair on Wilson. I don't think she's a journalist that puts lots of outrageous stories out there that mostly prove to be false. I reckon she's an "old fashioned" journalist who relies on sound sources and then sticks by her stories once she's confident she's onto something.
    Absolutely, and one of the few Melbourne journos to cover us with perspective and fairness. Plus, she was stellar during the Goodes debacle.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Absolutely, and one of the few Melbourne journos to cover us with perspective and fairness. Plus, she was stellar during the Goodes debacle.
    Yes, she was great during the Goodesy debacle. She was also the first - I think - to say that Terry Wallace wasn't going to get the coaching job at the Swans. Another big plus for her is she's ready, willing and able to stick it to the "blokes" like McGuire and Newman. I feel her only negative is that she's not very good with apologies on the rare occasions she needs to give one.

Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post
    My problem with Caroline Wilson is her unremitting negativity.
    She deserves an honorary membership in RWO.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    She deserves an honorary membership in RWO.
    For that you'd have to overlook her capacity to research to make sure her statements are grounded in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    Who cares if he's not a "good bloke". You don't have to invite him over for dinner. He's a good coach. The Giants should be into
    him big time. Cameron has had seven years, and can't get it into the GWS players heads that they need to turn up every week, not just
    some of them. That's long enough.
    Well said. The giants list is bloody strong, but being wasted.

They might make a play for Pyke.?

Until Pyke was picked up by the Swans he was a 'bad news bear' after his Crows departure. After he has obviously assisted in getting us moving, he has become the savior for all clubs. Personally I would like to keep him for a year or 2 more. We are on a journey and the horizon is looking good.

Not sure that the Hawks learnt anything from the Malthouse to Buckley transition and the way Buckley was treated on the way out from the pies... Buckley could replace Pyke if needed - (Just a thought fart sorry) Hawks have bottomed out and look to have turned the corner. It is time for a replacement for the Hawks if it was going to happen in this rebuild. Not sure that building 3 times is possible or if you have the same drive on round 3. Sheedy probably was the last to do this and didn't get there.. So history was against him

This does make our transition from Roos to Horse seems seamless in comparison. Another well done us!

Pyke doesnt strike me as the sort of person who would enjoy the extreme spotlight of being collingwood coach. It would be a horrible job, especially while the board is a mess. Steer well clear of that.
    I dont think he particularly like the fish-bowl of Adelaide when he was at the crows.

He seems ideally suited to an out-post club, like Sydney. Spend a couple of years here to build up his reputation as assistant coach, then go for a head coach at an off-broadway club.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Pyke doesnt strike me as the sort of person who would enjoy the extreme spotlight of being collingwood coach. It would be a horrible job, especially while the board is a mess. Steer well clear of that.
    I dont think he particularly like the fish-bowl of Adelaide when he was at the crows.

He seems ideally suited to an out-post club, like Sydney. Spend a couple of years here to build up his reputation as assistant coach, then go for a head coach at an off-broadway club.
    Perth boy and ex- Eagle who could easily replace Simpson sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Perth boy and ex- Eagle who could easily replace Simpson sooner rather than later.
    Simpson's contracted for another three seasons. There's no way they can afford to pay him out.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Simpson's contracted for another three seasons. There's no way they can afford to pay him out.
    Ok. Surprised to hear that.

Opti-pessi-misti
    I like the above suggestion. Simpson to coach WCE for another two years and then if it is, as you say, that Don Pyke is from the west and might possibly love to 'go home', we could let him go after we have won our next flag. To lose him next year would be as devastating as losing either Parks or Dawson! We need to keep all three. Pity about the financial conundrum!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123