Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clarkson departing Hawthorn at end 2021

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Wasn’t it actually initiated by Roos, who was was satisfied with his achievements and content to continue coaching our academy (being fairly well for his efforts)?
    That's my interpretation of what happened also. Roos was also very aware that JL had been patiently waiting for his chance and was too good a prospect to let go. He put his ego aside and did what was best for the club. That was not going to happen when you're dealing with egos the size of Malthouse, Clarkson, Eddie and Kennett!
    Last edited by Goal Sneak; 30th July 2021 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    What is it with these mishandled hand-overs. Malthouse/Buckley, Clarkson/Mitchell.

My recollection is that Roos/Longmire went pretty smoothly and without acrimony? Did we just do it better?
    I think there were a couple of differences:

1) Roos wanted to have a break from coaching and worked out a plan with the club.

2) I think Longmire is a more emotionally intelligent and mature man that Mitchell. He knew how to play his role in 2009 and 2010 and used the time as an opportunity to learn as much as he can before he became a head coach. He was ready in 2011 having spend his time wisely in 2009 and 2010. I think that Michell and Buckley having been legendary players at their clubs and having presidents who worship them have far greater entitlement than Longmire ever did.

Hawthorn got themselves into this mess by panicking when Mitchell said he was talking to Collingwood. They could have said to Mitchell that Collingwood are a big club and if you are offered that opportunity then it’s a decision that you need to make. When Alistair moves on we’ll assess what the best option is in the market and you’ll be a at the top of the candidates list.

Does anyone know anything about Mitchell as an assistant coach. Is he absolutely the most skilled or talented assistant coach available in the market?

I’m still to fully understand why the Hawks felt Mitchell was the sole option to succeed Clarkson in the market place.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    What is it with these mishandled hand-overs. Malthouse/Buckley, Clarkson/Mitchell.

My recollection is that Roos/Longmire went pretty smoothly and without acrimony? Did we just do it better?
    Simply, Roos was ready to go and made sure his departure was smooth and beneficial to the future of the club.....Malthouse and Clarkson weren't ready to move on. So yes, I guess the relaxed focussed Swans just made better decisions than Collingwood and Hawthorn who made panicked judgements.

Is Roosey still on sabbatical in the States studying mindfulness?

Brereton commented yesterday that he thought Clarkson was a better coach when on the hunt against more fancied teams like us & Melbourne this year, than as a development coach thus intimating moving on Clarkson is the right call to where Hawthorn list is now.

He also savagely attacked Caroline Wilson's style of reporting claiming she'd eventually get one right based on the laws of averages. Could tell Andy Mahr/Bob Murphy were uncomfortable with Dermie's attack on Caro as it came from his past personal experiences dealing with her.

This whole Clarkson saga just makes me so much more grateful of our club & John Longmire on how he managed to re-invent himself somewhat as a development style coach, as we quietly embarked on a staged re-build of our list few years back.
    Last edited by KSAS; 31st July 2021 at 10:20 AM.

Senior Player
    Who cares if he's not a "good bloke". You don't have to invite him over for dinner. He's a good coach. The Giants should be into
    him big time. Cameron has had seven years, and can't get it into the GWS players heads that they need to turn up every week, not just
    some of them. That's long enough.

Veterans List
    He'll be warming Hocking's chair in no time.

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Simply, Roos was ready to go and made sure his departure was smooth and beneficial to the future of the club.....Malthouse and Clarkson weren't ready to move on. So yes, I guess the relaxed focussed Swans just made better decisions than Collingwood and Hawthorn who made panicked judgements.
    Roos stated he didn't want to be a career coach and would do the job until he felt ready to go. I think it was the same with Melbourne, a limited tenure and work on the handover in the last year(s). A very smart way to operate.
    sprite

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post

He also savagely attacked Caroline Wilson's style of reporting claiming she'd eventually get one right based on the laws of averages. Could tell Andy Mahr/Bob Murphy were uncomfortable with Dermie's attack on Caro as it came from his past personal experiences dealing with her.

That sounds a little unfair on Wilson. I don't think she's a journalist that puts lots of outrageous stories out there that mostly prove to be false. I reckon she's an "old fashioned" journalist who relies on sound sources and then sticks by her stories once she's confident she's onto something.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    That sounds a little unfair on Wilson. I don't think she's a journalist that puts lots of outrageous stories out there that mostly prove to be false. I reckon she's an "old fashioned" journalist who relies on sound sources and then sticks by her stories once she's confident she's onto something.
    Caroline is the bible of AFL. Love reading her stories.

Simply brilliant.

Veterans List
    She's the best of the whole shoddy bunch and there's a lot of them but 95% are incorrectly called journalists. A lot of nasty jealousy in those ranks.

As for Dermie, he's becoming a clown, his "that was 3-4 weeks back when I was playing" comment last week about Buddy's flying arm was just so much male bovine manure as to be laughable as it wouldn't have even been looked at when he was playing.

Senior Player
    Right on.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast