Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324

Thread: R20 V Essendon @MCG

Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    Without any hesitation my choice would be Luke Parker . Hard as nails and doesn’t miss many games , in fact I can’t remember when he last did, has the ability to lift the whole team when we need it, great overhead mark and accurate kick for goal.
    Underrated by almost everyone outside of our club and will be remembered as a club legend in years to come.
    100%.

Senior Player
    Really enjoyed the game yesterday. Sounds like it caught the attention of the "neutral observers" too.

Seems like the team are in a good mental space at the moment, despite the COVID challenges. Close-knit, focused, resilient. Several games now where things haven't gone their way from the start but they dug in, stuck to the plan, didn't lose confidence. I value that higher than dominant, crushing wins.

They've long exceeded what I was hoping for after last season. I'm starting to feel excited for the end of this one.

Hi all,

Great reading everyone's thoughts as usual! I pretty much echo all of the sentiments. Parker has just become a magnificent leader, if he wasn't already. Dawson is so brave, Blakey's runs are exhilerating, and Bell was disappointing. What could've been if Lance and Sam had their kicking boots on!

I would like to make an observation - there was much discussion about our midfield and how we were "smashed" in centre breaks. I wonder if it was by design?? We must remember both teams were coming off incredibly interrupted preparations. They'd been in hotel rooms, airport lounges and plane seats leading into this match. I doubt either coach wanted a contested dogfight!! Adhering to defensive structures and zones is more physically demanding than a free-flowing, end to end game. This match had a lot less "general play" than most games this year (which is why I think some of those that thrive on contested/defensive/pressure games, like Bell, Wicks, Hewett had less impact)

Both coaches would've been nervous but happy to concede quick centre breaks and then back their ability to rebound to get more direct and fast footy going. Rather than try and cause stoppages. Despite the frantic nature of the game and the heavy scoring, it might've been the least exhausting and physically demanding game that both teams have played in this year!!

What do we think?? Am I barking mad? It's late here - I could be!! Have just put the replay on and it felt very deliberate. JL even resisted the temptation to put Hewett our best shutdown mid on Parish or Merrett!! It's like he did not want it to become a dour defensive, stoppage-based game under any circumstances, and neither did Ben Rutten! Were the quick centre breaks both teams conceded just a necessary evil to protect the fitness of their players after far from ideal preparation??

CHEER CHEER

Oh! - one last thing...

TheBloods made a very interesting point about young Justin McInerney. TB is a polarising observer of the game so his views tend to be met with some skepticism. I don't often agree with his views, but he might be on the money when he says that Juzzy could be the most unlikely partner in crime for The Chad! They play with a similar "attack at all costs" mentality! It's SO well suited to the brand of footy we play!! High risk high reward plays and they are talented enough to do it! We have tinkered with different options for young midfielders over the years, even dating back to the Foote and Robinson days! But Juzzy's performance yesterday was the most commanding I can recall from a young Swans midfielder in years! That could be a dynamic worth exploring in what remains of 2021 when we get Warner back...

Quote Originally Posted by NeonBible View Post
    Oh! - one last thing...

TheBloods made a very interesting point about young Justin McInerney. TB is a polarising observer of the game so his views tend to be met with some skepticism. I don't often agree with his views, but he might be on the money when he says that Juzzy could be the most unlikely partner in crime for The Chad! They play with a similar "attack at all costs" mentality! It's SO well suited to the brand of footy we play!! High risk high reward plays and they are talented enough to do it! We have tinkered with different options for young midfielders over the years, even dating back to the Foote and Robinson days! But Juzzy's performance yesterday was the most commanding I can recall from a young Swans midfielder in years! That could be a dynamic worth exploring in what remains of 2021 when we get Warner back...
    Love your comments Neon- you’re such a passionate supporter! And you’re right about TB, he can spot talent, most of the time!

This was a great game and I’m putting it on again today- the joys of retirement! I’m going to watch out for Bell and Wicks in particular as I thought during the game they didn’t contribute enough, and so they may not retain their spots. Luckily for us Anthony T-W was hardly sighted and apart from a very dubious free, Harry beat him hands down. He was the worst player in their team. I have to give credit to Stringer who was incredible and kept them in the game, though he did receive frees one after another.

Our boys were simply just that bit better and played exciting footy. Bring back the Chad and Amartey/ Logan to prepare for the finals.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Coaches Vote announced:
    Essendon v Sydney

9 Zach Merrett (ESS)
    9 Tom Papley (SYD)
    5 Jake Stringer (ESS)
    5 Callum Mills (SYD)
    2 Luke Parker (SYD)
    I thought Dawson would get a look in. He was very good. Perhaps I underestimated how good Mills was too, to see him rated above Parker by both coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    Hmmm… say you had the team whiteboard & you had to write 1 name down with a Sharpie (knowing that you'll never be able to rub that name off for the rest of the year). The other 20-odd names you can do with magnets and whiteboard markers. Who would the Sharpie be?
    The choice of who to include is kind of easy: there are heaps I'd be happy to lock in. The choice of who you'd leave out - if you had to - among our best/most valuable players, is much tougher. Parker is pretty close to the soul of our side. As are all our leadership group. But Hickey is hardest to replace. If Parker had to miss a game I think it would be easier to cover his contribution than if Hickey misses.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Veterans List
    Not so much 'Mark' of the Week but a collective of marks.....and why we should finalise Dawson's new contract sooner than later.

Mark of the Week - Round 20 - YouTube

Veterans List
    Hi all,

Great reading everyone's thoughts as usual! I pretty much echo all of the sentiments. Parker has just become a magnificent leader, if he wasn't already. Dawson is so brave, Blakey's runs are exhilerating, and Bell was disappointing. What could've been if Lance and Sam had their kicking boots on!

I would like to make an observation - there was much discussion about our midfield and how we were "smashed" in centre breaks. I wonder if it was by design?? We must remember both teams were coming off incredibly interrupted preparations. They'd been in hotel rooms, airport lounges and plane seats leading into this match. I doubt either coach wanted a contested dogfight!! Adhering to defensive structures and zones is more physically demanding than a free-flowing, end to end game. This match had a lot less "general play" than most games this year (which is why I think some of those that thrive on contested/defensive/pressure games, like Bell, Wicks, Hewett had less impact)

Both coaches would've been nervous but happy to concede quick centre breaks and then back their ability to rebound to get more direct and fast footy going. Rather than try and cause stoppages. Despite the frantic nature of the game and the heavy scoring, it might've been the least exhausting and physically demanding game that both teams have played in this year!!

What do we think?? Am I barking mad? It's late here - I could be!! Have just put the replay on and it felt very deliberate. JL even resisted the temptation to put Hewett our best shutdown mid on Parish or Merrett!! It's like he did not want it to become a dour defensive, stoppage-based game under any circumstances, and neither did Ben Rutten! Were the quick centre breaks both teams conceded just a necessary evil to protect the fitness of their players after far from ideal preparation??

CHEER CHEER
    Barking mad? On the contrary, I think you may have nailed it Neon.

Suspended by the MRP
    Hi all,

CHEER CHEER
    You might be barking mad , sorry

No coach will deliberately let the other team get an easy centre clearance , not Longmire, not Rutten. Not even Gary ####### Buckenara would be that stupid

Senior Player
    Re Sharpie player, am surprised no one has said Papley.

He is our number 2? goal scorer and has top scored multiple games.

Massive impact in many games and I don’t see any small forwards in our lineup that could have the same impact repeatedly.

He creates so many goals out of nothing and is the #1 for goals by small forwards in the league.

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324