Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: R21 V St Kilda at Marvel Stadium

It might be worth consigning that game to the wastebasket and moving on.

A complete reversal of previous successful weeks where we lost the clearances but our pressured, outspread and moved the ball better.

It reminded me a little of the first quarter against GW$ when they looked a million bucks before we got our gane together.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    Bit harsh on McCartin there TB he has been playing all right recently
    Wasnt talking about him !

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Who was actually playing Small fwd ? Most out of sorts we have been all year.
    Couldnt defend the high ball, twrrible skills thru the middle, shallow fwd 50 entries lead to poor turnovers

Gulden up the ground, Papley up the ground, Wicks up the ground on Hill ???
    Debunks the myth about like for like for Wicks and changing him for Warner

Worst our backline has looked collectively in ages.

No biggy, maybe one we had to drop, Top 4 had alot of moving parts for us, 5th or 6th is reality
    I noticed Allir Aliir was BOG for Port Adelaide last night. Some 16 marks. He would have been handy last night.

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor 01 View Post
    I noticed Allir Aliir was BOG for Port Adelaide last night. Some 16 marks. He would have been handy last night.
    Not overly concerned, was more a one off. Ive saud for years Melican would free up Ramps to run off
    He is very good but still a waste as a one on one defender

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Parker always gives something , he bleeds for this club and plays like it , and you will see ppl saying we should trade him over others like Stephens or Dawson , give me a break.

The mistake was re signing you know who earlier this year . We should've let him go while the rest of the comp thought he was a capable youngster . Now he's shown himself to be a very poor footballer . No footy iq or basic understanding of the game ie where the ball will land, where his opponent will go etc , no body strength, no speed , no composure, poor work rate , and he has the worst body language ive seen on a player . It stinks and he's no good . Not sorry
    TB, you are really something! The whole team stank- Parker tried hard but wasn’t all that effective. We can forget all the others. Unfair to pick on one player incessantly when you could say the same 22 times over- they ALL made some basic mistakes and let the Saints create loose men at will. Pressure? Where the @@@k was Wicks, for example? Don’t give me some crap that he is there to play a role- any kid in our Academy could have run around like a headless chook like he did. I repeat I don’t want to single him out as the team as a whole was useless, but I’ve had this feeling for a while now and can’t see how he can deserve a spot. Rowie at least got a few kicks and was at the bottom of packs.
    So please STFU about him- pick on someone else for a change!

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    On any given day we can match in the mids and in the forward line.......my concern is that we don't have a match up in the backline to negate the tall key forward

Suns and Saints with the King boys exposed an area we need to find solutions for.

We have applied so much hunt and pressure and we have kicked with great accuracy up until last night.......it was interesting to see how our backline and defensive adjustments would respond under relentless pressure.

Tactically
    Personnel
    As a unit.

Very interesting data to review and hopefully makes us smarter and wiser for the finals
    Yes we have problems with talls in the climate the AFL have created. Undersized defenders are going to struggle under the new interpretations. Rampe was struggling. He was not at all comfortable on King. But Longmire​did not change the match ups. That I thought was strange. McCartin was finding the young guy just a bit quick. Membrey was getting the better of whoever was on him, Fox? I thought Rampe to Membrey, McCartin to King and Blakey to 'Boxer' Sharman.

We also had a problem with their small forwards who were constantly free. Harry had a horror game playing on both Higgins and Kent at different times. Lloyd same. But the real problems started further up the ground. Missed tackles, lack of pressure and players not picking up opponents. We also turned the ball over so many times in the centre of the ground that put our players totally offside. Kennedy, as much as he plays so well for us, turned the ball over due to terrible decision making and dreadful disposal 4 times. They were screachers, howlers. All resulted in Saints goals. But he wasn't the only one. Stephens, even Dawson turned it over in the hot-spot and cost us several times. This is unusual for Dawson. But Stephens has past form in this.

All​ ​in all we did not bring any form of intensity. Which they did. We were chasing all night. We never really looked in it or even comfortable.

But yes we have to fix the back six and soon. Playing undersized defenders is costing us. When we had Reg and Teddy back there we had height and more often than not one of them would either mark or kill the ball. We had the pillars. We need Melican back ASAP.

Next week we need to change the side this way:

In. Melican,​ Mills, Warner, maybe COR, Amartey

Out: Harry (he was very poor), Stephens, Rowbottom & Reid

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    Agree. Oh, and if you move your typing finger a tad right when typing 'games', all will be a little clearer. Cheers, mate.
    So 'inaccurate licking' was deliberate?
    Last edited by Agent 86; 8th August 2021 at 03:12 PM.

Veterans List
    Didn't think our first half was that bad, just that the Saints were really very good. We came early in the second half as we've been doing, but then Bud misses an easy shot and the white flag goes up from there. I guess a little understandable but disappointing nevertheless.

It was certainly disconcerting how easily they picked us apart and Sinclair murdered us with easy rebounds from F50. Marshall played what might be the best game I've seen by an opposition ruckman this year.

Let's hope we can bounce back as we've demonstrated many times this year.

I was howled down on RWO for suggesting Stephens might be a bust this time last year; I don't think there can be any doubt now that he is not at AFL level - 6 ineffective disposals on a wing for a game? Watching the Saint defender walk around him on the mark was to understand that he has in no manner risen to the level required of a long term AFL player. Such a shame for a treasured high draft pick, especially as we see the obvious selections Young and Serong doing so well at Freo.

On the positive front, kudos to Nick Blakely who has really resurrected his season (perhaps his career?) with his recent efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    Didn't think our first half was that bad, just that the Saints were really very good. We came early in the second half as we've been doing, but then Bud misses an easy shot and the white flag goes up from there. I guess a little understandable but disappointing nevertheless.

It was certainly disconcerting how easily they picked us apart and Sinclair murdered us with easy rebounds from F50. Marshall played what might be the best game I've seen by an opposition ruckman this year.

Let's hope we can bounce back as we've demonstrated many times this year.

I was howled down on RWO for suggesting Stephens might be a bust this time last year; I don't think there can be any doubt now that he is not at AFL level - 6 ineffective disposals on a wing for a game? Watching the Saint defender walk around him on the mark was to understand that he has in no manner risen to the level required of a long term AFL player. Such a shame for a treasured high draft pick, especially as we see the obvious selections Young and Serong doing so well at Freo.

On the positive front, kudos to Nick Blakely who has really resurrected his season (perhaps his career?) with his recent efforts.
    Yes Stephens is a great disappointment. But he was not the only one yesterday. Wicks was letting Hill have so much space he must have had leprosy. Harry was terrible. Got murdered by Kent and other small forwards.

We did not bring true intensity which has been the secret to our wins. Keeping a high pressure on opponents for a whole game. We had that in bursts but not for the whole game. Turnovers were costly too. Even Dawson turned it over.

We need to regroup and change personnel. Some players are tired.

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Wasnt talking about him !
    Oh really if not him then who ? I only ask as your “ observation “ could have applied to a number of our players last night.

My take on the game for what its worth is that we were outworked and outpressured by the Saints all night. They were clearly the best side on the night. No excuses. They came to play and put in a stellar performance. They also converted their opportunities.

From our end, we had a lot of players down. We rely on an even team performance to win and we did not have that last night. One positive though was the significantly improved performance in the centre clearances (bringing Papley in there early certainly helped) and clearances. They have been consistently causing us problems so that is a positive out of an otherwise forgettable game.

I guess people will look for scapegoats for such a performance. I think that at least half the team lowered their colours last night. They did not handle the heat that the Saints brought resulting in turnovers and poor decisions. I will single out one player though in Stephens. I was very positive about him till now but his lack of hardness is very un-Swans like. Unless he drastically improves in that area then his career with us, or elsewhere for that matter, is in serious jeapordy.

I'm hopefully that after 5 wins in a row this was a merely a short lapse and we will quickly re-group. North are a feisty team so we need to bring more pressure next week to win.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    So 'inaccurate licking' was deliberate?
    ??