Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes to R22 Against North Melbourne

At this stage of the season, continuity is paramount. Only changes would be for crucially important rest or major form concerns.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    That's not the approach John suggested they'd take in the presser: he emphasised continuity and the benefits of playing/winning together.
    You are probably on the money there, but I forgot to mention Melican. Ramps was clearly playing under duress, Stephens showed he won't be playing finals and Wicks and Buddy played like they both needed a rest.With Mills to come in and the Chad and Campbell highly desirable in the side I still would not be surprised if there are at least 3 changes.

Sent from my SM-T865 using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Think Buddy got his rest against the Saints didn’t he?

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I was surprised tho hear Longmire, in reference to Mills, say that some Achilles tendinitis conditions need a workload to manage. I always thought rest was the treatment. I wouldn't mind hearing from the physios and medicos on here if they have some more info on this.
    I assume you’re talking about conservative management? For Achilles tendinitis or tendinopathy rest is usually recommend in the acute phase. Not necessarily complete rest but low loading/low impact & potentially activity modification. Ice, compression, elevation, analgesia and NSAIDs are all of benefit during this phase. Once the symptoms abate, a stretching & strengthening (typically eccentric loading which has a number of benefits to aiding tendon recovery) program is advised. Orthotics can also reduce the load. But we also need to consider the requirements if ideal management vs the demands of an elite athlete (and this is where workload management comes into it). There needs to be compromise between the ideal loading (to alleviate symptoms and restore strength/flexibility) vs loading while maintaining match conditioning for an earlier return to elite level completion. This is obviously only a broad overview, not specific medical advice, nor specific to Callum’s situation.

Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    Have not heard the presser but did he mention Ling who seems to have disappeared down a black hole?
    Sadly, I think that Ling is not part of Horse's plans going forward. He has just not done enough to show the coaching staff that he will ever make it in the ruthless world of AFL football. Add Ronke to that list along with some journeymen like Brand and Gray.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    Have not heard the presser but did he mention Ling who seems to have disappeared down a black hole?
    Lucky he is not down the rabbit hole. There are a heck of a lot people down there.

Regular in the Side
    Did I imagine it, or was it mentioned in the member webcast last night that Mills will be rested again this week? I think it was McVeigh who said it.
    Life's not a spectator sport

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Sadly, I think that Ling is not part of Horse's plans going forward. He has just not done enough to show the coaching staff that he will ever make it in the ruthless world of AFL football. Add Ronke to that list along with some journeymen like Brand and Gray.
    Yeh I think he is sadly going to join a relatively long list of early choice busts over the past couple of decades (noting every club has the same). Just never has come on, and injuries have definitely not helped.

I wouldn't be suprised if we keep Brand around - he would be on minimal sort of money and is okay depth wise. But Ronke I'd suspect has his papers marked now.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

The results for the next two weeks dont matter as we cant make top 4, we cant miss the finals, and we dont have a home to play a home final if we earnt one.
    So selections should be totally focussed around best preparation for week 1 of the finals. This can be resting players, getting games into players, more intensive fitness training. Whatever.
    I couldnt care less if we lost to North, if it improved our changes for winning finals.

Regular in the Side
    Fixture of R22 Updated:
    Saturday, August 14
    North Melbourne v Sydney, Marvel Stadium, 7.40pm

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    The results for the next two weeks dont matter as we cant make top 4, we cant miss the finals, and we dont have a home to play a home final if we earnt one.
    So selections should be totally focussed around best preparation for week 1 of the finals. This can be resting players, getting games into players, more intensive fitness training. Whatever.
    I couldnt care less if we lost to North, if it improved our changes for winning finals.
    Finishing 5th or 6th gives you, if the AFL was fair, the choice of venue as the higher finishing team. We could ask for one of the three Vic grounds that suits us but less so our opponent.

Don't want to draw to play WCE in the first final and be below them on the ladder as we'd have to play in Perth, same with drawing Brisbane first game and going to the Gabba.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Finishing 5th or 6th gives you, if the AFL was fair, the choice of venue as the higher finishing team. We could ask for one of the three Vic grounds that suits us but less so our opponent.

Don't want to draw to play WCE in the first final and be below them on the ladder as we'd have to play in Perth, same with drawing Brisbane first game and going to the Gabba.
    I can’t see any set of circumstances in which we play WCE as the lower finishing team or Brisbane at all as it’s 5v8 and 6v7

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast