Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Round 22: the other games. Have the elimination finals started?

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    That's the Swans barracking Serong who many of us were hoping we would select with pick 5 in the 2019 draft?
    It was the sort of goal Eddie Betts would've been proud to call his own!

Regular in the Side
    sertongs goal may have been good. But did you all notice the non call by the boundary umpire just before it. player and ball were miles over the line. shows all umpires are bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    A couple of predictions for early this week, possibly tomorrow:
    1. Carlton will announce that Teague won't be coaching their team next season.
    2. Eddie Betts will announce this Saturday will be his last AFL game.
    It would be handy if Carlton could beat GWS. The only hope I can see of that happening is with a different coach. I suspect they’ll wait one more week, but very happy to be proved wrong.

I do feel sorry for Teague. Tough initiation coaching in 2 covid ravaged seasons. Even though club has hardly progressed in his short tenure, those who appointed him should also take the fall should the axe fall. Think they had too high expectations for this season. They were allured with the Teague train when as caretaker, same as Rhyce at Norf. Looks like Roos is the exception successfully graduating from caretaker to premier coach.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Carlton are a bad joke. They will have sacked four coaches in a decade.

Maybe, just maybe, the problem starts with a board that makes these decisions, the inability to structure a good footy program that can support the coach(es), the obvious deficiency in developing players, the dreadful recruitment and list management, and overall ordinariness of everything to do with that footy club.

I saw the outgoing chair tick off a list of achievements - debt reduction, profitability, membership numbers, etc. Fine. But not a single one of them, even according to him, related to footy.

David Teague may or may not be able to coach; but how would you honestly know?
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

You're being very kind to Teague. Their list is not too bad. Its the game plan that kills them.

However, if they sack Teague this week, GWS will need to be very careful.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by lwjoyner View Post
    sertongs goal may have been good. But did you all notice the non call by the boundary umpire just before it. player and ball were miles over the line. shows all umpires are bad.
    I saw that and was peeved. Fortunately not all umps are bad!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    You're being very kind to Teague. Their list is not too bad. Its the game plan that kills them.

However, if they sack Teague this week, GWS will need to be very careful.
    Don't disagree that they have a bad game plan.

I think my point was this was the board that sacked a promising coach in Ratten, who'd made finals. Then they made a bad call thinking Malthouse's best days were still ahead of him. Then they whiplashed to Bolton and gave him no support. Then they rushed a process to appoint Teague based on the false illusion of a 'fresh voice' response from the players.

Meanwhile, they can't develop high draft picks (think Dow, O'Brien, SPS, etc etc). They made a mammoth blue on McGovern. Saad has been ok, but Martin and Williams have been very underwhelming.

Above all, though - what is their footy direction and plan? I have no idea. I don't think they do either.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

There was an interesting piece on The Mongrel Punt laying the blame squarely with the players

The Next Victim? - The Mongrel Punt

The way the players checked out against Port this week was a disgrace, and indicative of the culture that has become the driver of the Carlton Football Club over the past 21 years... Whether it was Denis Pagan being pushed into weekly debriefs with the father of a player after games, Mick Malthouse’s demands on his senior players becoming a little too much for some of their leaders to handle ...

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    There was an interesting piece on The Mongrel Punt laying the blame squarely with the players

The Next Victim? - The Mongrel Punt

The way the players checked out against Port this week was a disgrace, and indicative of the culture that has become the driver of the Carlton Football Club over the past 21 years... Whether it was Denis Pagan being pushed into weekly debriefs with the father of a player after games, Mick Malthouse’s demands on his senior players becoming a little too much for some of their leaders to handle ...
    Wow! That article is vicious! Makes you wonder if the author is a disillusioned Carlton supporter who's "had enough" of the what's happened at the club.

As someone old enough to remember Carlton's attitude towards us in the early 90s, I say, long may the Blues' era of failure continue!

Pushing for Selection
    Ideal scenario would be for Eagles to beat Lions and one of either GWS or Essendon to lose which would have us playing West Coast 5 v 8

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Wow! That article is vicious! Makes you wonder if the author is a disillusioned Carlton supporter who's "had enough" of the what's happened at the club.

As someone old enough to remember Carlton's attitude towards us in the early 90s, I say, long may the Blues' era of failure continue!
    Totally agree. Lets hope this conversation of ongoing Blues failure is still going in 2121, 100 years from now. They can rot for all I care.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast