Usually at this time of year, the cliche is that some games are elimination finals, with the loser being knocked out of finals contention. But with the way that the race for the last couple of finals spots has been going, I'm not really sure. I mean, lose a crucial game, and maybe most of your main rivals also lose, and hey, the zombie picks itself up off the ground and stumbles on.

Tonight's game between GWS and Richmond is a case in point. Generally, you'd think that a Richmond loss would be, that's it, dynasty definitely over. However, if results then went their way, they could enter the final round one win out of the eight, with a superior percentage and a possible percentage booster against Hawthorn.

The early Saturday game is Hawthorn v Western Bulldogs. I suppose we can hope for an upset? I mean, I doubt if Clarkson is even contemplating tanking; since Hawthorn draft picks would have absolutely no relevance for him.

Next up is Port v Carlton. Probably no chance of an upset here, as Carlton have just booked a number of players in for surgery and are already conducting the postseason review. Apparently the review is in three parts, entitled: Urgghhhh!; WTF, and Who To Blame.

At the same time, Geelong are hosting St Kilda. Since I don't think we can catch Geelong, it might be better if they made it almost impossible for St Kilda to make it. On a good day, St Kilda are still capable of beating almost anyone and after their recent victory, I don't really fancy facing them in an elimination final.

At the Gabba, Brisbane should continue Collingwood's misery. Pies fans don't even have the solace of looking forward to an early draft pick, since after last year's fire sale, their first pick is currently at 36.

We should then ensure that North wrap up the number one pick. Which hopefully they'll use to bid on Daicos and then Darcy.

In the first Sunday game, Melbourne should also keep Adelaide at the pointy end of the draft.

Next up, Gold Coast host Essendon at, umm, Geelong. With a final round match against Collingwood, Essendon fans will be confident of winning this and then sneaking into the finals. Just out of idle curiosity, with all the covid testing that the AFL have been doing, do they still test for things like steroids and peptides?

Covid permitting, the final game of the round should be a packed western derby in Perth. I sort of hope Fremantle win this: which will leave West Coast needing to win their final match away to Brisbane, in order to make the finals. Either way, it will be nice to finish the round, in a stadium crowded with rabid fans.