Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 23 v Gold Coast Suns

Veterans List
    Suspend thread until true extent of injuries and recoveries are clear.

Who would have thought we'd be lamenting the loss of Blakey, such has been his dramatic improvement since the bye. A weapon from 2022 onwards (and upwards)

Quote Originally Posted by Rod_ View Post
    Logic is sound and but do we fiddle with form... Likely to be GWS and we will need to be on our A game for which ever the team is for the first week of the finals..

Buddy to have 5 games at 3 goals a week to get to 1000 (Sun's and 4 finals.. = 1000)
    I want Buddy to get to 999 this year so that we can all be there at the SCG next year when he kicks number 1,000

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    So, knowing Blakey is gone, and assuming Kennedy will be rested as precaution, the big wildcard remains Mills - Horse has been vague there. But if he is fully fit . . .

I'm assuming Bud for McLean (as good as he was), Mills for Kennedy, Lloyd for Blakey - with either Campbell or Dawson to roll back behind the ball more to Blakey's role.

The question will then be if Chad is deemed match ready given the disruption to the reserves. If he is, then Rowbottom at risk.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Regular in the Side
    I understand many teams usually do not share all their injuries news with fans. I won't be too critical of the Swans.

On the Sunday Footy Show, Hayward was asked how he rated the young players. While he praised McDonald, he mentioned he is injured ! What?

I also suspect that Amartey is currently not 100% right. In all Swans recent social media photo/video releases, I have not seen him. Ling has disappeared.....Without the VFL games actually playing, we don't know the actual form of players who have not been selected for senior games to determine who should come in.

While we will finish 6th anyway, I do agree to rest whoever need a rest and play a few more younger players to keep everyone on their toes and be ready just in case. At the end the MC will know better!

Blakey gone for the season. They are debating the need for surgery and his return is now unknown

Senior Player
    No pre finals bye now. So that will factor into selections as we start our finals campaign one weekend after our GC match.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Horse said JPK likely out for this week, but confident low grade.

Optimistic re other three of Bud, Mills and Lloyd, though still wanted Mills to do the right training this week.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Hi all,

Such a shame about the Lizard what a tremendous amount of work and focus he would've put into being back in our AFL side, only to have his dream of playing finals crushed by injury! Shattering for Nick and his family!

With news that Joey is also likely to miss, I would imagine the changes would be Mills for Joey, Buddy for Blakey, Lloyd for O'Riordan and Warner for Rowbottom

Unless they opt to keep O'Riordan for his rebounding capabilities and drop Melican instead..

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    The North player accidentally made contact with Blakey's ankle in the marking contest. The fibula stabilises the ankle on the outside and it is a thin bone. The tibia is the main weight-bearing bone and does not extend as far down the leg as the fibula. It is not unexpected that only the fibula is broken here.

Hopefully the injury doesn't require surgery. A cracked bone without any displacement can heal well without surgery.
    Looking at the replay, the medial malleolus may also have taken a crack, as there’s quite a bit of deviation when the North player’s foot strikes and displaces Blakey’s ankle. If it’s a crack in the fibula only, the distraction injury was possibly not as bad as it looked, and was due to direct force only. Hopefully not displaced, and surgery isn’t necessary.

I doubt it will happen, because it's not Longmire's style, but I would like to see how a back 7 of McCartin, Melican, Rampe, Fox, COR, Cunningham and Lloyd go against the Suns. Keep Dawson on the wing. It's a bit more defensive than we've gone for most of the year, but there's still good pace and kicking power in the group.

I've been promoting our transition to a more offensive game style and couldn't be more pleased the way we've progressed this year. But I think we need to consolidate our defence, stop leaking out the back goals and not having to go with a desperately undersized backline.

It's a good game to take a look at this mix before going into the finals. I didn't think having both Fox and COR in the same side was the best mix as they play similar roles, but they are both solid in their skills and man on man defensive work. We might even release Cunningham to play more of a rebounding role. We've gone well this year when Harry has been on his wheels. Fox and COR can play more of the lockdown roles.

We have a number of options to fill the midfield and forward groups. We can field a strong midfield group if Mills comes back in, even without Kennedy, Rowbottom or Warner. So there's plenty of depth and several options when the finals begin.

A core 7 midfielders, including wingmen, of Mills, Parker, Hewett, Dawson, Florent, McInerney and Heeney look strong to me. They are all guys who can play over 85% game time.

This way we can keep Campbell in the side for another game heading into finals. I would like to see Warner get a run as well, but it would probably mean dropping COR or Campbell.

The last few spots are tough calls. I'm putting more focus on getting the defence as solid as possible, as it's hard to go far in finals leaking easy goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Kafka's Ghost View Post
    Looking at the replay, the medial malleolus may also have taken a crack, as there’s quite a bit of deviation when the North player’s foot strikes and displaces Blakey’s ankle. If it’s a crack in the fibula only, the distraction injury was possibly not as bad as it looked, and was due to direct force only. Hopefully not displaced, and surgery isn’t necessary.
    To me, it looks like contact was made by the opposition player's boot on the lateral malleosis and this would be consistent with the fibula fracture. There could be syndssmosis damage as well, but there doesn't look to be contact to the tibia.

Didn't Scott Pendlebury have a small fibula fracture a few weeks ago? Could be similar. I don't recall if Pendles had surgery or not.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    I want Buddy to get to 999 this year so that we can all be there at the SCG next year when he kicks number 1,000
    Yeah that's how it ought to be. What an anticlimax if it were to happen at a crowdless arena.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast