Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 23 v Gold Coast Suns

Veterans List
    This is from this injury update article: Sydney Swans guns not resting for Gold Coast clash, John Longmire wants 'battle-hardened' team for finals

Kennedy will have scans on Monday afternoon after feeling tightness in his hamstring in the final minute of clash with the Kangaroos.

"He's actually pulled up really well. The scan will give us a bit more information but just going on what he's like today, we think he's actually pretty good,” Longmire said.

While that is good news, given his age and importance to us in the finals, I doubt the MC will risk him this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    To me, it looks like contact was made by the opposition player's boot on the lateral malleosis and this would be consistent with the fibula fracture. There could be syndssmosis damage as well, but there doesn't look to be contact to the tibia.

Didn't Scott Pendlebury have a small fibula fracture a few weeks ago? Could be similar. I don't recall if Pendles had surgery or not.
    Yes, Ludwig, you’re right. Pendlebury did have a small fibula fracture.
    Blakey should be right for the pre-season, but it’s a big blow to him after getting his mojo back after the bye.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Kafka's Ghost View Post
    Yes, Ludwig, you’re right. Pendlebury did have a small fibula fracture.
    Blakey should be right for the pre-season, but it’s a big blow to him after getting his mojo back after the bye.
    Finally finding a role that suits his skills and being allowed to settle into it. Think now he's "broken through", his increased maturity will see him blossom into one of our best players.

How did that early days Crows promo add featuring Nigel Smart go? "The futures so bright, gotta wear shades" :-)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    So, knowing Blakey is gone, and assuming Kennedy will be rested as precaution, the big wildcard remains Mills - Horse has been vague there. But if he is fully fit . . .

I'm assuming Bud for McLean (as good as he was), Mills for Kennedy, Lloyd for Blakey - with either Campbell or Dawson to roll back behind the ball more to Blakey's role.

The question will then be if Chad is deemed match ready given the disruption to the reserves. If he is, then Rowbottom at risk.
    Perfect summary.

I have been a big fan of Wicks but pressure must be coming for his spot.

Reid is a fav of mine but really is in because of only reputation at the moment...

I've been a big fan of getting Reid in and games in to him, because he had a great first 6 weeks this year. But McLean looked very very good on the weekend.. and he did some rucking.. I'd be tempted to play him ahead of Reid this week.

People wrote him off after the freo game. But he's under valued in the work that he does, and the structure he brings to the forward half. Not dissimilar to Wicks.

Longmire has often said that he likes stability in the backline. He mentioned it again after the game when asked about Campbell's shift from half back to half forward. Since the bye, the back 7 have been Rampe, McCartin, Cunningham, Lloyd, Fox, Blakey, and McInerney. Therefore, I can't see too much experimentation happening this week and either COR or Melican replacing Blakey. If they don't want to swap roles amongst the back 7 then COR is more like for like.

It really is this week or not at all for Warner. I can’t imagine that the match committee would risk playing someone underdone in a knockout clash.

Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    It really is this week or not at all for Warner. I can’t imagine that the match committee would risk playing someone underdone in a knockout clash.
    Warner is best 22. He will come in this week. With Kennedy injured RB stays in.
    Not sure if Colin Oriordan or Braeden would be preferred in Blakey role. I think Campbell brings more than Colin. He just fights harder, scraps and still can make great disposals. But with the finals and the pressure higher, he is likely to take an aggressive approach and then cause turnovers. But our style of play is one of aggressive kick and great transition and better suited with Campbell in. If we go conservative we would not be able to score in the finals.
    I am worried to play against GWS in the finals. They are playing well, have classy midfielders who are contested beasts. But they are slow. We will have to play a fast game against them. I reckon Campbell will be better suited for that.

Unless I'm calculating wrong, I think this week can only see one of Rowy or Chad play. I'm not sure there's physically room for both.

I am going to assume Colin will be the first one out as he was the last one in as medi sub. They brought Melican in for a reason, and I doubt they drop young Braeden after one game. So Colin's the out. Mills for Joey will be something of a straight swap. Lloyd for the Lizard will also be something of a straight swap. Buddy will dislodge either another tall (McLean) or Wicks, who has struggled a bit.

It leaves only one place in the team, in that extra mid rotation. Comes down to Rowy or Chad! Much as I have not liked the pitting of these young guys against each other, this week it could come to fruition. Tricky situation. 'The Chad' has been out of action at senior level for TEN weeks now, while Rowbottom has played the last two, and seemingly looked better each time. One was an integral part of this year's campaign, the other was a fantastic contributor the previous two years. Which horse will Horse back?? I am just guessing.. but i would say Chad. We seem to have been cautious abour rushing him back, and we have left it til very late in the game to bring him back. Maybe those extra VFL hitouts were preparation so that he can come back to the 22 FULLY fit, and not needing to be managed like Rowbottom.

Maybe both get a go if they decide to rest someone else unexpectedly. Either way I will trust the MC's decision to be the right one. Selfishly I hope it's The Chad, but both are deserving.

CHEER CHEER

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanSand View Post
    Warner is best 22. He will come in this week. With Kennedy injured RB stays in.
    Not sure if Colin Oriordan or Braeden would be preferred in Blakey role. I think Campbell brings more than Colin. He just fights harder, scraps and still can make great disposals. But with the finals and the pressure higher, he is likely to take an aggressive approach and then cause turnovers. But our style of play is one of aggressive kick and great transition and better suited with Campbell in. If we go conservative we would not be able to score in the finals.
    I am worried to play against GWS in the finals. They are playing well, have classy midfielders who are contested beasts. But they are slow. We will have to play a fast game against them. I reckon Campbell will be better suited for that.
    The only pause I have on Campbell playing the Blakey role is that he looked so dangerous up front against North. That mark and goal was a thing of beauty. But I think the fruits of that will have to wait. His slicing run and precision kicking will maintain a point of difference down back, which is where I hope he plays.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonBible View Post
    Unless I'm calculating wrong, I think this week can only see one of Rowy or Chad play. I'm not sure there's physically room for both.

I am going to assume Colin will be the first one out as he was the last one in as medi sub. They brought Melican in for a reason, and I doubt they drop young Braeden after one game. So Colin's the out. Mills for Joey will be something of a straight swap. Lloyd for the Lizard will also be something of a straight swap. Buddy will dislodge either another tall (McLean) or Wicks, who has struggled a bit.

It leaves only one place in the team, in that extra mid rotation. Comes down to Rowy or Chad! Much as I have not liked the pitting of these young guys against each other, this week it could come to fruition. Tricky situation. 'The Chad' has been out of action at senior level for TEN weeks now, while Rowbottom has played the last two, and seemingly looked better each time. One was an integral part of this year's campaign, the other was a fantastic contributor the previous two years. Which horse will Horse back?? I am just guessing.. but i would say Chad. We seem to have been cautious abour rushing him back, and we have left it til very late in the game to bring him back. Maybe those extra VFL hitouts were preparation so that he can come back to the 22 FULLY fit, and not needing to be managed like Rowbottom.

Maybe both get a go if they decide to rest someone else unexpectedly. Either way I will trust the MC's decision to be the right one. Selfishly I hope it's The Chad, but both are deserving.

CHEER CHEER
    Selfishly ? Its for the good of the team .

and arent you supposed to be the one who knows RB and even you are saying you'd prefer Chad ? You will get in trouble for talking him up

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast