Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blakey out for the season

Blakey out for the season

Blakey out for the season with a fractured fibula (which is interesting - to me at least - as it looked on screen to be an inversion injury)

The club & player are now weighing up surgery and his return date is unknown (but I suppose not urgent as it won’t be this season)
    Last edited by goswannies; 16th August 2021 at 03:10 PM.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Damn!

There goes 2021. Weve had a charmed run with injuries this year, until now.

Veterans List
    This is a serious blow but I think we all knew this was not a flag winning season....deep down. Next year however.....

Suspended by the MRP
    Shame

Veterans List
    The Mongrel Punt assesses the loss of Blakey and how we cover him.

Sydney v North Melbourne - The Big Questions - The Mongrel Punt

"IF BLAKEY IS HURT, WHAT DO THE SWANS LOSE, AND HOW DO THEY COVER IT?

This is interesting. Hopefully, the ankle isn’t as bad as Gerard ‘Take him out the back and shoot him’ Healy thinks and Blakey is back in action quickly, but on the off chance he’s not, let’s look first at what they lose.

They don’t lose run – that can be covered, but what the Swans really lose here is the willingness to take a risk. Blakey wants to take the game on and will happily tuck the ball under his wing, even in traffic, and force the opposition to stop him. That draws the opposition to him and creates chaos. Sure, his replacement may be a great kick of the footy and may like to run as well, but he will not have the aggressive run and carry Blakey provides. He is a disruptor.

So, how do you cover that? Do you ask Justin McInerney to become more daring with the footy in hand? He is really good, but what he doesn’t do is careen into trouble as part of his run like Blakey can sometimes do. He is more reserved.

How about Jordan Dawson heading back to half back? Both he and McInerney could share the role of taking off like a rabid dog with the footy. That may provide an answer. They could switch the role of Harry Cunningham and have him run from half back more often – we saw a little bit of that today, or do they entrust Braeden Campbell with the role, using that left foot of his to it’s full extent?

The good news is that even if Blakey has to sit for a while, the Swans have plenty of options, and with Chard Warner (one of my faves) almost right to come back, they can shuffle the deck a little if need be."

They don't mention O'Riordan, who looked to play with some dare and urgency when he came on. Overall, I think we can cover Nick but I really wish we didn't have to.

Senior Player
    So much for doctors Brereton and Healy.

Terrible shame for the young bloke, going so well in recent weeks. Hope he bounces back even better next season. Until then, some interesting readjustments to the team to think about.

So disappointing for the Lizard, the team and us fans. I suppose this will mean moving Dawson down back alternating with J Mac with Lloyd and COR on the other flank. I would keep Campbell at half forward with occasional runs in midfield to grow his tank, as undoubtably that is where he needs to end up. Hopefully Mills will be back this week together with Buddy, but I wouldn’t mind resting Buddy for another week.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    So disappointing for the Lizard, the team and us fans. I suppose this will mean moving Dawson down back alternating with J Mac with Lloyd and COR on the other flank. I would keep Campbell at half forward with occasional runs in midfield to grow his tank, as undoubtably that is where he needs to end up. Hopefully Mills will be back this week together with Buddy, but I wouldn’t mind resting Buddy for another week.
    We’ll do the best we can but he’s a huge loss
    He’s not only an xfactor like somebody else posted maybe NIco ;he’s just so gutsy and dependable.
    The type of player that every player in the team will lift by beholding his desperation efforts and that would have been handy to provide moments of momentum change when needed in finals games .
    Two examples come to mind in the last match
    That dive for the ball when he was on the ground and he knocked it over the line.
    And what about gutsy ..a cracked fibula , being chaired off , he notices the ball heading toward our defensive goal and what does he do
    Gets rid of his helpers who are chairing him off and attempts to run back to provide defensive cover.
    And that’s not mentioning his tackle bursting bursts and intercept marking when forward defending.

Also when you’re looking for moments of momentum change like we were against North Melbourne I was hoping he was out there as I saw him as one of those who can do that .

Luckily Hickey , Hayward and COR came through for us

Big loss ..my favourite player I must say is Blakey

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    There goes 2021. We've had a charmed run with injuries this year, until now.
    Absolutely. I thought it was all too good to be true. Particularly, following on from the train wrecks of 19 and 20. Get well Lizard.

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by snajik; 16th August 2021 at 05:44 PM. Reason: I was typing involuntarily
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    This is a serious blow but I think we all knew this was not a flag winning season....deep down. Next year however.....
    Did we?
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

No Lizard no Swans?

Are we really that much of a one reptile side?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast