Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 23 v Gold Coast Suns Home Game at Marvel

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    The Chad will be a big part of our future but he’s not the difference just yet.
    i said this exact thing earlier in the week . That said he is better than some who played today and needs to come in next week

Veterans List
    Look, there is no doubt if Chad gets picked next week we'll all be happy, albeit it might be at the expense of Mills.....but if Chad doesn't get picked, not all of us will be angry/sad. Most of us will have faith in the team that has won seven out of the last eight games and the selectors who helped achieve that success.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    i said this exact thing earlier in the week . That said he is better than some who played today and needs to come in next week
    You have to take into consideration that the ones in the side today are already up to AFL speed, while there's uncertainty about how quickly Chad can come up to the pace of an AFL game, especially a final. The other problem is that Chad doesn't have experience playing forward or back, except for a couple of ordinary games last year, while possible replacement candidates, like Campbell and Fox have the versatility to play several positions. Campbell has looked good so far and Fox had 7 disposals and looked good in only 1 quarter.

That basically leaves the option of replacing COR with Fox and playing Chad in the midfield. But COR looked solid in the backline and worked well with the rest of the defensive group. He settles in right away and you know what you're getting. The Giants have several dangerous forwards and midfielders that go forward and kick goals, most with big bodies, like Lloyd, Ward, Hopper and Taranto. I think we need the extra coverage in defence.

Chad is definitely an option, but a higher risk option than other possibilities. I would like to bring Chad into the side, but having trouble finding someone to drop. I often go with higher risk options, but Longmire tends to be conservative in selection.

However it goes, it won't be an easy call.

Some positives:

Franklin, Dawson, J-Mac, Heeney, Hickey and Papley were superb. They are always consistently amongst the the best.

I think the Wicks v Campbell battle for the small forward pressure spot was won by Sam Wicks. I’m looking forward to Barracuda’s assessment of this battle.

Rowbottom is building. Doing his job and getting better as his fitness improves.

Melican was better and is probably a lock for the finals.

McLean fought well in the 2nd half and got rewarded with two late goals. I think he stays in.

Love Papley out of the middle. I think he’s our best player at centre square ball ups. I noticed that Razor penalised another player last night for umpire abuse. Maybe I’ve been a little tough on Tommy because Razor is giving a lot of those.

Hewitt and Parker played solid games. They are our most vital inside mids with doubts about the fitness of Mills and Kennedy.

Thought COR was strong. He is fast. strong and great in his defensive one on ones. Will do well in finals.

All eyes will be on Mills and Chad this week.

We’ll done to Longmire and coaching group for embracing the attacking corridor football. It’s very entertaining and fun to watch.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    You have to take into consideration that the ones in the side today are already up to AFL speed, while there's uncertainty about how quickly Chad can come up to the pace of an AFL game, especially a final. The other problem is that Chad doesn't have experience playing forward or back, except for a couple of ordinary games last year, while possible replacement candidates, like Campbell and Fox have the versatility to play several positions. Campbell has looked good so far and Fox had 7 disposals and looked good in only 1 quarter.

That basically leaves the option of replacing COR with Fox and playing Chad in the midfield. But COR looked solid in the backline and worked well with the rest of the defensive group. He settles in right away and you know what you're getting. The Giants have several dangerous forwards and midfielders that go forward and kick goals, most with big bodies, like Lloyd, Ward, Hopper and Taranto. I think we need the extra coverage in defence.

Chad is definitely an option, but a higher risk option than other possibilities. I would like to bring Chad into the side, but having trouble finding someone to drop. I often go with higher risk options, but Longmire tends to be conservative in selection.

However it goes, it won't be an easy call.
    You 've forgotten someone

Senior Player
    Great to see Buddy really clunk them today and still kicks through it so cleanly.

Dawson was outstanding. So classy.

Heeney is looking very shaep

You 've forgotten someone
    With both Mills and Kennedy out, none of the current midfield group will even be considered for omission. It's delusional to think otherwise.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    With both Mills and Kennedy out, none of the current midfield group will even be considered for omission. It's delusional to think otherwise.
    We dont know they are out

Even the Gold Coast made Melican look second rate, hate to think what will happen to him in finals if selected....

Dawson is a STAR. Hickey really good too. Buddy up and about. Heeney playing on ball was refreshing.

Thought Lloyd was also excellent and crucial in bringing the ball out of defense.

We dont know they are out
    Well, if either one plays, then there won't be a spot open anyway, so it's not even an issue. Someone will have to get dropped from the current side, but not sure who. My guess is that it would be between Fox, O'Riordan and Campbell, with the one dropped becoming the med sub.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Even the Gold Coast made Melican look second rate, hate to think what will happen to him in finals if selected....
    I wish we had better options in key defence, but we have to live with what we have. We can't go into finals undersized against teams playing 3 talls. We just have to hope Melican continues to work his way into form with each passing game, which he tends to do. We also need McCartin to play more as an intercept defender.

We conceded the 2nd lowest points of the season, albeit against a weak performance from GC.

It's not an ideal situation, but it's best we have atm. That's why I think we could play both Fox and COR in the side, instead of someone like McInerney in defence, who is great with his rebound, but not a great defender. If we have our defensive group of 7 all being true defenders, we stand the best chance of holding down opposition scoring.

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    I love The Chad but it is getting beyond ridiculous BS. He had some seriously good games early in the year but he is nowhere near the level you think he is - in the last 6 games that he played before being injured, The Chad averaged 14.5 possessions. Mills did more than that on one leg in 3 quarters today.

The Chad will be a big part of our future but he’s not the difference just yet.
    Don’t listen to me. Listen to Gerard Healy. Gerard Healy said that Chad “was a superb young player” today on 7 Mate.

Gerard is an expert observer and you can’t go wrong deferring to his expert opinion. He’s run the couch for years and is a Swans great.