Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Round 23 v Gold Coast Suns Home Game at Marvel

I love the way Harry Cunningham goes about things. He doesn't get many positives on RWO, but he gets plenty of ball and goes in hard. He also passes off well and likes a run. I thought he did well today. He is becoming reliable and developing into the Nick Smith mold. He and Lloydy are solid.
    "Give a man an airline and he will rob the people. Give a man a government and he will rob the world"

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    Don’t listen to me. Listen to Gerard Healy. Gerard Healy said that Chad “was a superb young player” today on 7 Mate.

Gerard is an expert observer and you can’t go wrong deferring to his expert opinion. He’s run the couch for years and is a Swans great.
    I’m not doubting that Chad is a “superb young player”. We are lucky to have many superb young players. It doesn’t mean that Chad is an automatic in especially as he hasn’t played AFL football for months and the previous 6 games he averaged less than 15 possessions. If he does come in next week to replace Mills, I think he is capable of doing an excellent job. I don’t think he will come in at the expense of any other fit players who played today.

You’ve just got to stop bleating the same thing over and over again without also listening to reason yourself.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by grarmy View Post
    I love the way Harry Cunningham goes about things. He doesn't get many positives on RWO, but he gets plenty of ball and goes in hard. He also passes off well and likes a run. I thought he did well today. He is becoming reliable and developing into the Nick Smith mold. He and Lloydy are solid.
    Agree completely. Unsung hero as many small defenders are.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I wish we had better options in key defence, but we have to live with what we have. We can't go into finals undersized against teams playing 3 talls. We just have to hope Melican continues to work his way into form with each passing game, which he tends to do. We also need McCartin to play more as an intercept defender.

We conceded the 2nd lowest points of the season, albeit against a weak performance from GC.

It's not an ideal situation, but it's best we have atm. That's why I think we could play both Fox and COR in the side, instead of someone like McInerney in defence, who is great with his rebound, but not a great defender. If we have our defensive group of 7 all being true defenders, we stand the best chance of holding down opposition scoring.
    I hope you’re right about Melican. He seems to be our only option, but I’m not sure we are getting anything more (and perhaps something less) than we got from having Fox in the team. I appreciate that it is not a straight swap but I wonder if it yields better overall results.

Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    I hope you’re right about Melican. He seems to be our only option, but I’m not sure we are getting anything more (and perhaps something less) than we got from having Fox in the team. I appreciate that it is not a straight swap but I wonder if it yields better overall results.
    Every team we could possibly come up against in finals will present 3 tall forward options, and some are really big blokes.

It's too much to ask McCartin, Rampe and Fox to do battle against these Goliaths 4 weeks straight. We constantly end up with mismatches like Lloyd against some 2 metre forward. Whatever Melican's shortcomings might be, it at least he gives us a fighting chance of not getting overrun by a herd of elephants.

I think we'll fix this up for next year, but for this year we have to make do with what we have in the stable right now.

Every team we could possibly come up against in finals will present 3 tall forward options, and some are really big blokes.

It's too much to ask McCartin, Rampe and Fox to do battle against these Goliaths 4 weeks straight. We constantly end up with mismatches like Lloyd against some 2 metre forward. Whatever Melican's shortcomings might be, it at least he gives us a fighting chance of not getting overrun by a herd of elephants.

I think we'll fix this up for next year, but for this year we have to make do with what we have in the stable right now.
    Melican could be alright ..he’s lasted two games without injury…I feel he improves with game time ..let’s just hope ..he gives me heart palpitations and his kicking off one side is dodgy

Agree with this.

I think Fox has done a fine job for us this season so I will be sad for him if misses selection for finals footy. But we need a big body in the defence line next week.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by grarmy View Post
    January 2020 i commented that at training i'd noticed he was becoming a leader , very vocal and gets around the young fellas . I said he 'd be a leader at this club and i got told by some he wasnt even in our 22 let alone a leader . Well look at him now . I dont want apologies but those people who doubted him could give him one !

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    I don’t think he will come in at the expense of any other fit players who played today.
    I bet you you are wrong on this one . Great win but there are obvious weak links who even a half fit Chad would be better than

Not sure every team has a 3rd tall/Goliath that Fox couldn’t handle better than Melican. In fact none that we could play do, each have two at best.

Geelong - Rohan
    Melbourne - Fritsch
    Lions - no real tall 3rd forward
    Port - Georgiades
    Giants - no real tall 3rd forward

The other option I was thinking about would be to play Reid back. If they don’t feel Fox is part of the team then Reid would add a lot more value than Melican.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    January 2020 i commented that at training i'd noticed he was becoming a leader , very vocal and gets around the young fellas . I said he 'd be a leader at this club and i got told by some he wasnt even in our 22 let alone a leader . Well look at him now . I dont want apologies but those people who doubted him could give him one !
    The best was someone at the start of the year was calling for Ling ahead of Harry and Lloyd. Claimed both were no good anymore and wouldn’t be in the team at the end of the year....

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    You joined in February 2020. Nice try.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Why don’t we make this all about you and your self-righteousness? By the way, you weren’t a member of RWO in January 2020.