Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans vs GWS - elimination final

With sub rule as it is I would be gambling on Mills. If Mills doesn’t work then Chad steps in.

I would hate for Mills to be out and that you get no potential strategic value from the medical sub position.

It’s like having the DRS in cricket an never gambling on a 50/50 decision that could turn the game.
    People will say, but what happens if another player gets injured. I know the risk and I take the gamble.

Mill’s quality of possession and they prospect of improving the injury by playing means that the gamble is worth taking.

If we make it through, Mills injury may improve by continuing to play.

Who else is going all in on Mills?

- - - Updated - - -

With the sub rule as it is I would be gambling on Mills. If Mills doesn’t work then Chad steps in.

I would hate for Mills to be out and that you get no potential strategic value from the medical sub position.

It’s like having the DRS in cricket an never gambling on a 50/50 decision that could turn the game.

People will say, but what happens if another player gets injured. I know the risk and I take the gamble.

Mill’s quality of possession and the prospect of improving the injury by playing means that the gamble is worth taking.

If we make it through, Mills injury may improve by continuing to play.

Who else is going all in on Mills?

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    You could see Pyke taking over at GWS if they have a poor year next year (probably unlikely). Cameron is in the last year of his
    contract next year. He has become an honorary Sydney person now.
    Win, win if that the case for GWS.

Quote Originally Posted by lwjoyner View Post
    Im most worried about Mummy throwing his weight around and causing some injury
    I think this is a real concern. Their whole team is full of big bodies, but Mummy can be brutal. Our only saving grace might be the plushness of the Launceston playing surface in comparison to the rock hard deck of another venue.

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    I think this is a real concern. Their whole team is full of big bodies, but Mummy can be brutal. Our only saving grace might be the plushness of the Launceston playing surface in comparison to the rock hard deck of another venue.
    Mummy can do plenty of damage with a couple of wild elbows and generally just crashing into players (teammates included). If GWS are to try and bash and intimidate their way through us, even more reason to go in with a full list of fit players.

Quote Originally Posted by Goal Sneak View Post
    Mummy can do plenty of damage with a couple of wild elbows and generally just crashing into players (teammates included).
    It was a different worry when he played with us, wasn't it? The concern then was whether he might get suspended for his overzealous attack on the opposition or, as you suggested, take out one of our own with some misplaced friendly fire.

I am also surprised this hasn’t been referenced yet in this thread…

During a short segment of ‘On the Couch’ last night, Gerard Healy made the following comment in relation to Mills and Kennedy likely being out of the Swans v GWS match:

“The one thing they’ve got going for them right now, with the Swans, is they’ve got a kid called Chad Warner and I reckon he’s the best of all their kids, and that’s saying something. But, he will come in - he was their best player in the reserves – he’s missed for a few weeks, or he’s missed for a lot of weeks, but he is going to offset that to a degree.”

He is obviously not on the match committee, and tends to get excited about players quite early, but it was interesting to hear him say this - and probably adds fuel to the fire of some who hold similar views about his selection.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries

During a short segment of ‘On the Couch’ last night, Gerard Healy made the following comment in relation to Mills and Kennedy likely being out of the Swans v GWS match:

“The one thing they’ve got going for them right now, with the Swans, is they’ve got a kid called Chad Warner and I reckon he’s the best of all their kids, and that’s saying something. But, he will come in - he was their best player in the reserves – he’s missed for a few weeks, or he’s missed for a lot of weeks, but he is going to offset that to a degree.”

He is obviously not on the match committee, and tends to get excited about players quite early, but it was interesting to hear him say this - and probably adds fuel to the fire of some who hold similar views about his selection.
    I don't think there's any divide on this board about Chad. I'd be happy to hear from them, but I don't think anyone thinks he's not got serious A-grade potential. (Personally, I think JMac is, for now, the best of the kids.)

I think there are three things:

* in one person's mind, a clear need to use Chad to belittle Rowbottom
    * when he was right to come back, and clearly the coaches wanted to get serious conditioning into a young player after a long break - and it looks like they might have timed it perfectly, so more power to them if holding him back ultimately helps him and the team
    * what to expect from a young player in his first game in three months. Me, I'd be happy with 15-possessions, a couple of moments of impact and taking a small part of the centre square load if Kennedy and Mills are out.

If he can do that, superb.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

The Chadtheists are going to cream their pants over this.

Suspended by the MRP
    Wonder if we will put hayward on that Haynes again , worked well last year

Or taylor

I watched that too, and Healy just reinforced my feeling that we can still go deep into finals even without Mills and Kennedy. Adding Chad to the side we had on the ground after Mils was subbed out is a damn good side, exciting with beautiful ball movement at times. It's a quicker side that the Giants may find more troubling than one with Mills and Kennedy. It sets up a contrast in styles. I hope we come out on top. Difficult to predict these sorts of games.

Quote Originally Posted by lwjoyner View Post
    Im most worried about Mummy throwing his weight around and causing some injury
    This article is not reassuring: 'Destroyed' Mummy determined to go out with a bang (afl.com.au).
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    All things said and done he has had a pretty amazing career. He is not a bloke who will die wondering. Good for him.