Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: Swans vs GWS - elimination final

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Yeah that's garbage. Everyone can have their favourite players but you don't rag on your own on a public forum like that, especially before the game has been played, when it's a final, when he's young. Be constructively critical of players if they have a bad game but don't do that. I like to think we're better than that as a supporter base.
    Every fan base has feral fans - Swans included. I hope the trend we are starting to see of players calling out the @@@@ they get continues, to start to get to some of these morons and change behaviours. But how effective it will be, who knows.

None of that is to say what was said about Bell was in the really nasty category (i didn't see it) - but I suspect there must have been a few pretty ordinary comments for the club to close comments, its not something they do often (and they have plenty of experience through the sadness of goodesy's last couple of years in knowing when to pull the plug and when its not necessary).

As with any cross-section of society, there is the excellent, good, bad and ugly, all mixed in together.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

It has looked for a couple of weeks like the bottom half of the Eight was in good nick, and I saw nothing tonight to change that view. Port were serviceable and Geelong were bloody awful. I know the rebound factor for the team that loses Week 1 is generally good, but both us and the Giants have beaten Geelong this year and both teams will feel confident of a decent finals run if they can get through the game tomorrow. The X factor in this is the removal of the pre-finals bye. If it had remained, we'd have Mills and JPK back and would have had a rest. The Giants would have been in a similar position though. Our decision to rest Franklin a week or two ago looks very smart now though, so hopefully that helps.

The removal of the bye also hurts Geelong though, who needed to win given the age of their list. I can't see them winning three in a row from here, so a win tomorrow gives us a great chance to go after Melbourne or Brisbane in 2 weeks.

As for Bell, he's the right selection for mine. Campbell is still a developing body and player, and the bigger Giants would smash him. Bell will play in tandem with Wicks to put pressure on them further up the ground where our coaching staff may feel that the Giants are a bit weaker. His success probably won't be measured by possessions though.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Because he may not have been tasked with winning the footy. Our players are given specific roles, some of them get headlines, some of them don't.
    Surely that’s drawing a long bow....

Because he may not have been tasked with winning the footy. Our players are given specific roles, some of them get headlines, some of them don't.
    Brett Kirk comes to mind. He was tasked with stopping the opposition's best mid. Winning his share of the footy was secondary.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    You do wonder in 20/30 years how GWS period under Cameron will be viewed. He may yet achieve success (I doubt it), but I suspect history will not necessarily look so kindly on it.
    The giants should have chosen choco Williams as coach after sheedy. He was already an assistant, and just look around where he bobs up afterwards. Success just follows him. He's assistant at Melbourne now.
    GWS would have a flag by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Surely that’s drawing a long bow....
    Very Long Bow

Best example was Wicks at start of season, tackle pressure 1st priority, goals then possessions.

Happy to have egg on my face but based on his last 9 games, Bell doest get the ball, tackle or kick goals.
    It would be a stretch to say he is limiting the oppositions impact too.

Suspended by the MRP
    Im hard on RB but he really has to do something today , 2 gun mids down we need him . His usual routine wont cut it . We know what we will get from the others but if he has any pride at all he 'd stand up today

Opti-pessi-misti
    Well, weather-wise the day has started off relatively warm and sunny here in Launceston but looking a little greyer and cooler at the moment. Just pondering what degree of thickness may be needed in clothing. Swans scarf may be very handy. Can't wait to see the players in real life!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Im hard on RB but he really has to do something today , 2 gun mids down we need him . His usual routine wont cut it . We know what we will get from the others but if he has any pride at all he 'd stand up today
    Do you know any other tunes? Your eternally-fixated playlist of one song is getting a tiresome. In my opinion, your sentiment should extend to every single player on team. Anyway, you are entitled to yours. Why not try some of those noise-cancelling headphones you can pick up on eBay and save the rest of us a little pain.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark26 View Post
    Do you know any other tunes? Your eternally-fixated playlist of one song is getting a tiresome. In my opinion, your sentiment should extend to every single player on team. Anyway, you are entitled to yours. Why not try some of those noise-cancelling headphones you can pick up on eBay and save the rest of us a little pain.
    Not fixated , its a fact . He can not be average today when we are already 2 men down in the midfield . Every other player in this side has had at least 1 great game this year with the exception of Bell . RB has had none and hes played 16 games , if he is ever going to step up and prove me wrong thats hes not just a mediocre player then today has to be that day . This is a final , cannot afford any weak links !

I agree TB he has to have a big influence today if we are going to win . He needs 25 plus touches , high tackle numbers and some decent clearance numbers .
    Fingers crossed after the game you can post that he had a breakout game and was a major influence in a great win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    He had 4 possessions and one tackle for the match.

Can you please enlighten us specifically on what his role might have been? I’m really interested to hear the tactics where a player is instructed to run lots of kms but don’t go near the ball or put any pressure on the ball carrier