Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Finals Week 1; the other games. Tasmania, home of football!

Finals Week 1; the other games. Tasmania, home of football!

The finals kick off with two games in Adelaide and two in Launceston. I imagine some Tasmanians will be viewing that as karma for the AFL, for their continual scuppering of plans for a Tasmania based team. Fair enough. Though personally, I miss the good old days, when the home of AFL was Southeast Queensland. Which may be a minority view?

The Friday night match is Port hosting Geelong. I more or less see this as a now or never match for Geelong, since most of their biggest stars are over thirty and there doesn't seem to be a large depth of talent coming up to replace them. Alternately, the Port list has a plethora of up and coming stars. Much like our list, really. So, if the likes of Selwood, Dangerfield, Hawkins and Rohan, don't nab a premiership this year, it's hard to see them doing it next year. Unless their magic pudding salary cap springs a surprise or two in the offseason. Though in the meantime, I would definitely prefer to face a limping Geelong, rather than an angry Port, in week 2, if we get past GWS.

Speaking of which, I'm feeling quite confident of getting past the Giants, in our Launceston showdown. Although that could be because, I've watched the second half of the most recent clash a number of times, but I've no clear idea of what happened in the first half.

It's back to Adelaide on Saturday night, for Melbourne v Brisbane. There's probably two ways that I'll be viewing this. A win against GWS and I'll be keen to appreciate a high quality and intense match. A loss and I might grudgingly check the scores.

Then it's back to Launceston for the Sunday game between the Bulldogs and Essendon. A month ago, the Bulldogs were close to premiership favourites and a pretty good chance to finish first on the home and away ladder. Now, after three losses in a row, they're every chance to crash out in the first week. Of course, none of us here want to see that, do we?

Give me a B! Give me a U! Give me a L! Give me another L! Give me a S! And how about a H!

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Other than our game, there is only one thing that matters - which is seeing the Bulldogs crash out in week one, preferably from a kick after the siren to Stringer after a Dogs player is incorrectly penalised for a throw. Incorrectly, you say? Yes, because that would make it even funnier.

Umps - make it happen.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Is there any way that Essendon and the Fairypuppies can both lose on Sunday and be eliminated?

Can't stand the fairy pups, but equally the hype around Essendon is nauseating. They are one of the crappiest 8th placed teams in a long time, and haven't beaten anyone of real note to even make it that far, bar the puppies who couldn't hit a barn door that night. I don't rate Essendon's list at all (though a couple of their younger guys this year are very good players in the making) and their fan base is amongst the worst. But the hate for the fairypuppies probably burns even stronger.

I think sadly the free kickers will easily win that one, but would be happy with a zero all forfeit and both clubs being eliminated

I think Melbourne will beat the Lions in a good contest (I sort of fancy them to meet again in the grand final), and Port to have too much at home to the Old Age Care facility Cats.

Nice preview article on the Mongrel Punt as well https://themongrelpunt.com/afl-seaso...ew-youll-read/
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Is there any way that Essendon and the Fairypuppies can both lose on Sunday and be eliminated?

Can't stand the fairy pups, but equally the hype around Essendon is nauseating. They are one of the crappiest 8th placed teams in a long time, and haven't beaten anyone of real note to even make it that far, bar the puppies who couldn't hit a barn door that night. I don't rate Essendon's list at all (though a couple of their younger guys this year are very good players in the making) and their fan base is amongst the worst. But the hate for the fairypuppies probably burns even stronger.

I think sadly the free kickers will easily win that one, but would be happy with a zero all forfeit and both clubs being eliminated

I think Melbourne will beat the Lions in a good contest (I sort of fancy them to meet again in the grand final), and Port to have too much at home to the Old Age Care facility Cats.

Nice preview article on the Mongrel Punt as well https://themongrelpunt.com/afl-seaso...ew-youll-read/
    Is there another AFL team you don’t mind?

You don’t like the following:

-Hawks
    -Carlton
    -Bulldogs
    -Essendon
    -West Coast
    -Collingwood

Anyone else I’ve missed in the don’t like column?

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post

-Hawks
    -Carlton
    -Bulldogs
    -Essendon
    -West Coast
    -Collingwood

Actually, one reason why I start this thread, is so site members can do a bit of bonding, by taking light hearted swipes at other clubs. I would prefer it not to be a place to snipe at other members. So, are you sure this thread is for you?

-Hawks
    -Carlton
    -Bulldogs
    -Essendon
    -West Coast
    -Collingwood

Seriously - did I miss the rule that said I have to like any other club?

There are several clubs I only have a mild distaste for, and I quite like the Lions as a club, because they face many of the same challenges our Swans have over the years and their fans don't annoy me too much - we've always had good experiences when we've gone to Brissy for an away weekend against them, and they've always been like a brothers in arms in fighting the VFL establishment on many issues. I'd be happy to see them win the flag this year, if we don't.

And to be fair, there are very good reasons for swans fans to have an intense dislike of all those clubs mentioned..... I'm almost certain there are more then a few that regularly post that would hold exactly the same views.

And finally, lets make one point clear - I give zero @@@@s about your views of the world to be honest, and likewise your perfectly entitled to give zero @@@@s about mine.
    Last edited by mcs; 27th August 2021 at 07:16 PM.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Lol seriously, did I miss the rule that said I have to like any other club?

There are very good reasons for swans fans to have an intense dislike of all those clubs mentioned.....

Give up on the sniping already - I give zero @@@@s about your views of the world to be honest. Likewise, your perfectly entitled to give zero @@@@s about mine.
    I was curious.

You give the other clubs a good lashing.

I was curious.

Lol, that's because many of them absolutely deserve it

And don't confuse such a world view with not providing other clubs respect - but respect should be earnt in equal measure, and that in many cases has nothing to do with what happens on the park, but how clubs conduct themselves off it.

My disdain for many clubs (Fairypuppies an exception) is more a result of how they've operated off the park, more then how they have acted on it. But for many others (Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon three good examples), its as much about how they conduct themselves off the pitch as anything else, although with the Bombers I've always found most of their fan base pretty nauseating too!

And then you have the true champion clubs where distaste comes from every angle.... like the Wees and Poos (although I do have begrudging respect for Clarkson as a master coach).

I was curious.

Oh, of course. And just out of idle curiosity, are the endless squabbles that make up your life, just a series of unfortunate misunderstandings? Or might there be a more central cause?

Seriously - did I miss the rule that said I have to like any other club?

There are several clubs I only have a mild distaste for, and I quite like the Lions as a club, because they face many of the same challenges our Swans have over the years and their fans don't annoy me too much - we've always had good experiences when we've gone to Brissy for an away weekend against them, and they've always been like a brothers in arms in fighting the VFL establishment on many issues. I'd be happy to see them win the flag this year, if we don't.

And to be fair, there are very good reasons for swans fans to have an intense dislike of all those clubs mentioned..... I'm almost certain there are more then a few that regularly post that would hold exactly the same views.

And finally, lets make one point clear - I give zero @@@@s about your views of the world to be honest, and likewise your perfectly entitled to give zero @@@@s about mine.
    It’s Friday night. I’m on the scotch. Time for a pre final drink.

It’s Friday night. I’m on the scotch. Time for a pre final drink.
    Scotch. Well, that should improve your conflict resolution skills.

Lol, that's because many of them absolutely deserve it

And don't confuse such a world view with not providing other clubs respect - but respect should be earnt in equal measure, and that in many cases has nothing to do with what happens on the park, but how clubs conduct themselves off it.

My disdain for many clubs (Fairypuppies an exception) is more a result of how they've operated off the park, more then how they have acted on it. But for many others (Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon three good examples), its as much about how they conduct themselves off the pitch as anything else, although with the Bombers I've always found most of their fan base pretty nauseating too!

And then you have the true champion clubs where distaste comes from every angle.... like the Wees and Poos (although I do have begrudging respect for Clarkson as a master coach).
    I didn’t like reading that the Carlton president had secret meetings with Ross Lyon two months ago. So disappointing for Teague.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast