Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 22 Round 1 2022

Since we’re just talking about round 1 I can’t see McDonald as a starter ahead either McClean or Reid.
    I’m not sure if it’s physique or his fitness but he seems to fade early in games at least he did last year. I’m hoping that another pre-season and another year under the conditioning staff will cure the problem however I can’t see him in the team unless he has an outstanding couple of practice games.

Quote Originally Posted by graemed View Post
    Since we’re just talking about round 1 I can’t see McDonald as a starter ahead either McClean or Reid.
    I’m not sure if it’s physique or his fitness but he seems to fade early in games at least he did last year. I’m hoping that another pre-season and another year under the conditioning staff will cure the problem however I can’t see him in the team unless he has an outstanding couple of practice games.
    If we only want to play 2 tall forwards, McLean, Amartey, Reid and Ladhams can all provide a chop out in the ruck. LMac as far as I'm aware, does not provide ruck relief (Buddy as well but he's Buddy!) so with him in the team, it demands we play a three tall setup or a reserve ruck at the expense of one of our young midfield / small forward brigade (eg Campbell, Wicks, Stephens, Sheldrick, Roberts even Bell or Sqizzy). It's all irrelevant if his form doesn't warrant selection but certainly becomes interesting if he's playing well along with most of our midfielders. Wouldn't want to be picking the team.

Veterans List
    I guess he faded a bit in games because he was 18yo.

Regular in the Side
    ok I will have a go

FB CUNNINGHAM P MCCARTIN RAMPE

HB BLAKEY T MCCARTIN LLOYD

C J MAC MILLS HEENEY

HF HAYWARD LADHAMS GULDEN

FF WICKS FRANKLIN PAPLEY

R HICKEY PARKER CH WARNER

INT KENNEDY FLORENT FOX STEPHENS

EMERG MCDONALD CAMPBELL ROWBOTTOM

of course this is dependent on a few things. MILLS being ok and reports that Stephens has had a great pre-season. also that ROWBOTTOM has recovered. of course P MCCARTIN at full back is a bit of a unusual call at this stage of his come back but I'm going with it anyway.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bexl View Post
    ok I will have a go

C J MAC MILLS HEENEY

FF WICKS FRANKLIN PAPLEY

of course this is dependent on a few things. MILLS being ok and reports that Stephens has had a great pre-season. also that ROWBOTTOM has recovered. of course P MCCARTIN at full back is a bit of a unusual call at this stage of his come back but I'm going with it anyway.
    too short forward . Ladhams will be 2nd rucking and you have no one else except Buddy . Need another f50 target

Gulden also will be playing mids more so you have named 9 mids , too many

No offence

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    too short forward . Ladhams will be 2nd rucking and you have no one else except Buddy . Need another f50 target

Gulden also will be playing mids more so you have named 9 mids , too many

No offence
    none taken. so maybe take Stephens out and put in McDonald. i'd keep Fox for the back line rotation. also J Mac can rotate through half back.
    Just my opinion but I see what you mean about another tall forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Bexl View Post
    ok I will have a go

C J MAC MILLS HEENEY

FF WICKS FRANKLIN PAPLEY

Like your team. I have P Mccartin in my team as well. Does anyone know how P Mccartin is training? Is he screaming round 1.

I would have Lloyd on the bench to start J-Mac in the back 6. Need his run and drive back there.

I would drop Fox and bring in McDonald for some forward height.

The final one is Campbell for Wicks.

People will tell me about the small forward roles and the like. Campbell is a better and more versatile footballer. Campbell played a game as small forward later in 2021 and looked good.

If you played Campbell at small forward he would be just as effective as Wicks defensively, he’s quicker and you would have better finishing skills. You could also use Campbell at half back or on a wing in a game if a change was needed. Wicks has not demonstrated AFL versatility at this stage.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post
    Like your team. I have P Mccartin in my team as well. Does anyone know how P Mccartin is training? Is he screaming round 1.

I would have Lloyd on the bench to start J-Mac in the back 6. Need his run and drive back there.

I would drop Fox and bring in McDonald for some forward height.

The final one is Campbell for Wicks.

People will tell me about the small forward roles and the like. Campbell is a better and more versatile footballer. Campbell played a game as small forward later in 2021 and looked good.

If you played Campbell at small forward he would be just as effective as Wicks defensively, he’s quicker and you would have better finishing skills. You could also use Campbell at half back or on a wing in a game if a change was needed. Wicks has not demonstrated AFL versatility at this stage.
    Agree about Mcdonald over Fox

Disagree about Cambell ovrr Wicks . Campbell has the strength of my 12 yr old grandson . He was a turnstile for opponents last year . Cant tackle and pressure yet He is 23rd man in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I guess he faded a bit in games because he was 18yo.
    I have no doubt that his age and perhaps living away from home may have contributed to my observation.
    I support his endeavours to date and believe that if we can hang on to him, he will be a significant asset going forward.
    My point is that I believe that he wasn't able to play a full game out last year and whilst he is impressive in bursts he needs better conditioning to truly contribute to the team ahead of others that have proven endurance and resilience.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Agree about Mcdonald over Fox

Disagree about Cambell ovrr Wicks . Campbell has the strength of my 12 yr old grandson . He was a turnstile for opponents last year . Cant tackle and pressure yet He is 23rd man in my opinion
    I would have Wicks as medical sub. Still gets a game to the tally sheet and gets paid.

Disagree strongly on turnstile observation. Literally all Swans Academy kids are better equipped at tackling than young kids drafted in AFL football states.

They have all been exposed to some Rugby League or Rugby Union in their junior sporting development. They learn how to tackle through that exposure. Look at Heeney’s tackles for instance. Even James Bell can execute a great tackle.

Campbell’s no turnstile. He’s a Sydney boy and they’re bred to tackle.

The Swans need Campbell in the side. I’ll become opinionated if Bell gets games ahead of Campbell.

I have no doubt that his age and perhaps living away from home may have contributed to my observation.
    I support his endeavours to date and believe that if we can hang on to him, he will be a significant asset going forward.
    My point is that I believe that he wasn't able to play a full game out last year and whilst he is impressive in bursts he needs better conditioning to truly contribute to the team ahead of others that have proven endurance and resilience.
    Drove past McDonald on Moore Park Road. The man is massive and has a frame that could destroy with some time. Maybe his frame can become like Tom Hawkins’s build.

Except McDonald started in Round 1 last year and has no doubt improved since then, whereas I don't think the same can be said for Reid and I think McLean is competing with Ladhams and Amartey for a spot. I think McDonald will be selected if we go with three talls forward as I hope and expect (barring injury).
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)