Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 22 Round 1 2022

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    I am sure he would like to impose himself more as well. The number of times he has got himself into space in recent weeks in front of the goals only to be ignored was very frustrating. The side on the weekend was way too buddy centric. The ball kept getting banged in high to buddy who was beaten on the day. In fact if you go to AFL.com.au stats pro and looks at Wicks extended highlights he was one of the players who was actually lowering his eyes and delivering to the best option. That option was Heeney and wicks delivered key passes to him that resulted in goals. The swans have to recognise when buddy is getting beaten and look for other options. I think this is what cost them the game. One other thing, everyone loves beating up the young guys like Belly and Wicks, but as I outlined above it was actually the young guys that stood up in the last quarter whilst some of the superstars went missing.
    Agreed being too Buddy focused- I partly blame Buddy as he seems to demand the ball without leading and then gets beaten overhead. He and team should know by now that high marking is not his strength. Therefore he should be playing further up the ground where his field kicking is so effective. Problem was we didn’t have a marking tall up front to allow him to roam around.

Re young Wicks-maybe he is still learning the position and has only played a handful of games, so hopefully next year he will make a big impact.

Hi all,

Ruing the results from a disastrous season of Fantasy .. i was looking over some of the centre bounce attendances from the season.. interesting .. one thing that stood out to me..

Rounds 1-13 we ran an average of 6 midfielders through the centre each game
    Rounds 15-23 (& the elimination final) we ran an average of 8 midfielders through the centre each game .. players like Gulden, MCinerney, Papley, Heeney, Campbell, Bell and Fox all went through there, and Hewett also.

I wonder if this is an indication that we are trying to add some more dynamism to our midfield ?? Perhaps we are trying to create a rotation of 7 or 8 who can go through the mids and give each centre bounce a different look ?? It will be very interesting to see if we continue this into 2022. If we do, i think the ones who will suffer the most will be the likes of Hewett (If he remains??) and Rowbottom , possibly Warner.. these players don't seem as capable of playing off a forward or half back flank or a wing as much as the others do.. i think having such a large rotation will require players being able to play multiple roles, and i'm not certain those 3 can. Could mean that they will have to really capitalise on their time in the centre otherwise they will have low possession games where they are bystanders in a way, similar to the games Hewett was having earlier in the year or that young Chad had on the weekend.

Do we think this is a good thing or a bad thing?? Am I wrong that a larger rotation of players going through the middle will hurt the more one-dimensional types??

Enjoyed talking footy with you all this year!!

CHEER CHEER

Quote Originally Posted by NeonBible View Post
    Hi all,

Ruing the results from a disastrous season of Fantasy .. i was looking over some of the centre bounce attendances from the season.. interesting .. one thing that stood out to me..

Rounds 15-23 (& the elimination final) we ran an average of 8 midfielders through the centre each game .. players like Gulden, MCinerney, Papley, Heeney, Campbell, Bell and Fox all went through there, and Hewett also.

I wonder if this is an indication that we are trying to add some more dynamism to our midfield ?? Perhaps we are trying to create a rotation of 7 or 8 who can go through the mids and give each centre bounce a different look ?? It will be very interesting to see if we continue this into 2022. If we do, i think the ones who will suffer the most will be the likes of Hewett (If he remains??) and Rowbottom , possibly Warner.. these players don't seem as capable of playing off a forward or half back flank or a wing as much as the others do.. i think having such a large rotation will require players being able to play multiple roles, and i'm not certain those 3 can. Could mean that they will have to really capitalise on their time in the centre otherwise they will have low possession games where they are bystanders in a way, similar to the games Hewett was having earlier in the year or that young Chad had on the weekend.

Do we think this is a good thing or a bad thing?? Am I wrong that a larger rotation of players going through the middle will hurt the more one-dimensional types??

CHEER CHEER
    Hi Neon,
    Enjoyed your posts over the season.
    Re the midfield: Bell won’t play there and Fox belongs to the backline. Paps and Heeney in short bursts as needed, as their main role should be up forward. Joey to play limited time in midfield and is very capable in attack. So our main mids will be Parks, Mills, George ( we need him) Rowie, Errol and Braeden in short spells and resting up forward, and JMac.

I feel very comfortable with this group and see no problems resting them in the forward line- we need the versatility and different matchups depending on the opposition.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Hi Neon,
    Enjoyed your posts over the season.
    Re the midfield: Bell won’t play there and Fox belongs to the backline. Paps and Heeney in short bursts as needed, as their main role should be up forward. Joey to play limited time in midfield and is very capable in attack. So our main mids will be Parks, Mills, George ( we need him) Rowie, Errol and Braeden in short spells and resting up forward, and JMac.

I feel very comfortable with this group and see no problems resting them in the forward line- we need the versatility and different matchups depending on the opposition.
    I forgot the Chad!!

Quote Originally Posted by NeonBible View Post
    Hi all,

CHEER CHEER
    Great observation! And I think you're right that we will (and we do) value versatility. However I'm not so quick to dismiss the versatility of some of the players you mention. In particular, Hewett is versatile. He has a lot of skills and they are useful around the ground (can win contested ball, has a good tank, excellent user of the footy by hand and by foot on both sides of his body, strong tackler) - although it's true he was wasted playing the Mills role in defence. Hewett is also a reliable set shot for goal. As for Chad and Rowie I reckon they can develop more skills and become more versatile. Gulden and McInerney are already there - both absolutely wonderful players.

I too have enjoyed your contributions this year. I hope you're not signing off until 2022?
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Great observation! And I think you're right that we will (and we do) value versatility. However I'm not so quick to dismiss the versatility of some of the players you mention. In particular, Hewett is versatile. He has a lot of skills and they are useful around the ground (can win contested ball, has a good tank, excellent user of the footy by hand and by foot on both sides of his body, strong tackler) - although it's true he was wasted playing the Mills role in defence. Hewett is also a reliable set shot for goal. As for Chad and Rowie I reckon they can develop more skills and become more versatile. Gulden and McInerney are already there - both absolutely wonderful players.

I too have enjoyed your contributions this year. I hope you're not signing off until 2022?
    Maybe, and I am not diminishing George, Chad or Rowy's ability, more that they may have to "make it or break it" as hard on-ballers at the centre bounce and at stoppages, unless they can develop more strings to their bow.. George has good defensive capabilities as you say, and Chad might be able to make do as a forward when he's there, he can certainly find the big sticks!! But will these boys be able to impress enough in these other roles to have rounded enough performances to keep their spots?? That will be the question.. Errol, Juzzy, Paps these boys, we know can go in a centre bounce and be electric but are also very well suited to other roles like the wing or a forward pocket or flank, so they will always have a spot in the team. It will certainly be interesting to see how we fit all these boys into the one team.. IF we can fit them all into the one team!!

And not quite signing out for the year bloodspirit, though my interest in footy wanes during the off-season.. i can't seem to get into the rumours and speculation about who we will trade in or out.. now that my sons have also moved out of the under 18s system where they played with a lot of the boys who have been drafted over the last 4 or 5 years, i also have no clue about the kids in the draft!! I tend to fall off the grid heh..

My hopes though are that we can keep Parker, Dawson and Hewett, especially the first 2. I would be rather sad if we lost them as key pillars of the team but also confident enough when i think about the names who couldn't always get regular games this season .. Campbell, McDonald, Rowbottom, Blakey etc.. that i think we could cover them. Might set us back a year or two though, which is far from ideal as we only have a good year or two left with Buddy, Joey, Ramps and Hickey.. Then for the draft we could go a key defender.. put some pressure on Melican to perform or even possibly overtake Melican and form a good young defensive partnership with Tommy Mac.

Exciting times! Looking forward to it!!

CHEER CHEER

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    Throwing my hat in the ring here:

Assumption is keeping Parker and Hewett.

B - Rampe - T McCartin - Cunningham

HB - Blakey - Amarty - McInerny

C - Dawson - Mills - Rowbottom

HF - Gulden - Franklin - Papley

F - Heeney - McDonald - Wicks

R - Hickey - Parker - Chad (along with Rowbottom will grow into the contested mid role)

I/C - Hewett - McLean - Lloyd – Hayward

Sub – Florent

I have put Amarty into defence as he has good speed, a great leap, can take contested marks and reads the play well. It worked for McCartin why not Joel?

I keep McLean in as back up ruck and forward, he started to show something against Mumford in ruck contests that he can develop on.

As we move into the next premiership window, unfortunately there has to be some casualties;

Kennedy has signed a one year contract so he knows the writing is on the wall, the kids now need to step up fill his boots.

Buddy may not get to play all games as we manage his load so McLean can step into the role.

Sam Reid is interesting if we keep him, will probably get limited opportunities and will end up as a back up to McLean / McDonald.

Lloyd’s role as a distributor is now being threatened by Blakey and McInerny who provide more dash and willingness to take on the opposition. He may well return to his original position when he was recruited as a mid on the wing.

Fox and COR are unlucky to be left out but both can be valuable back up to the backline in case of injury.

I’m not sure about Paddy McCartin, he is possibly one severe knock away from being forced into retirement. From what I have seen of him in reserve games (only watching on Kayo) he is definitely better than most out there and almost seems that he is cruising. That may be the reason he hasn’t been picked up.

Are there any others running around in the reserves that could be added here? Happy for new information.
    sprite

Veterans List
    Don't underestimate the improvement of Campbell, Gulden, Warner, Blakey and Wicks next year. Wicks missed one game IIRC so in the eyes of the MC it must have been felt that he was doing what was asked of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Don't underestimate the improvement of Campbell, Gulden, Warner, Blakey and Wicks next year. Wicks missed one game IIRC so in the eyes of the MC it must have been felt that he was doing what was asked of him.
    Campbell is the one I'm really looking forward to watching next year - on the basis that he showed glimpses early this year, but never really came back after that injury. I still rate him every bit as highly as Gulden, and think he will prove an absolute gun too. I sense we are going to enjoy watching these cygnets grow up over the next few years!
    Last edited by mcs; 1st September 2021 at 12:17 PM.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Spot on Nico- I wasn’t impressed by Wicks but undoubtedly the coaches were happy, as he was always selected.

I would add Logan and Joel to the list as I hope we will see big improvements from them as well as young McLean.
    Plenty to be excited about for the next few years!

Thought I would have a go at the team now:

B Cunningham P. McCartin Rampe
    HB J-Mac T. McCartin Blakey
    C Florent Mills Dawson
    HF Hayward McDonald Gulden
    F Amartey Franklin Papley
    Foll Hickey Parker Heeney

Inter Lloyd Campbell Chad Kennedy
    Medical Rowbottom

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post

C Florent Mills Dawson

Medical Rowbottom
    We are sort of blessed in that the bottom six and the next five to six are not that far apart.

I look at your 22 and it looks good, but then I see RB as medical when he has been more consistent than Chad and Campbell in the back end of the season, so I can’t see the committee putting them both ahead until they have both improved in the JLT pre season games or early NEAFL games next season.

Also Wicks playing almost the entire of last season would suggest he is a certain starter.

Then you have Paddy in ahead of Fox and COR who both has decent games.

Plus no Reid who was very good at the start of this year, not McClean.

Plus no Hewitt.

So if we manage to re sign Dawson and Hewitt, I think we have a very good list and it is really tough luck for 5-6 players who aren’t on the field for round one.

And that doesn’t include Bell, Stephens, Ronke, Melican or Brand who each got a few games during the year!

I think Ludwig & co's latest posts about the best 22 for R1 next season belong in this thread. JPK is best 22 for mine. He didn't stick around for another year to be demoted before R1. Potentially he will be overtaken during next season but for now he is there to lead and show the youngsters the way. Someone else will make way based on pre-season form and any injury/fitness issues - probably one of RB or Warner - possibly Wicks if they want to push someone else into Wicks' role.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bangalore Swans View Post

C Florent Mills Dawson

Medical Rowbottom
    I'm not sure about the positions you have named the players in but this 22 look about right except with Ladhams for Amartey. Good early call BS!
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast