Rampe McCartin Cunningham
    Lloyd Blakey McInerney

Hickey Parker Warner
    Florent Mills Dawson

Wicks Franklin Heeney
    Hayward McDonald Papley

Hewitt Gulden Rowbottom Campbell

Notes
    1. I feel like I'm short one backman, but perhaps Campbell and Dawson to rotate back.
    2. No ruck back-up either.

So two possible changes: Rowbottom/Campbell out for Amartey/O'Riordan

3. Omitting Melican leaves us with the height issue in back half. Partly addressed by Blakey in, but may point to some difficult choices. Can we play all of Blakey, Lloyd, Cunningham, McInerney, Campbell?

4. I'm happy to stick with Florent for now, but concede that he may be under some pressure.

No JPK!

Good attempt. Would need to find a way to get Fox and JPK in there.

Also, how is the relief ruck?

I am thinking that we can't pick Parker, Kennedy, Mills, Warner, Rowbottom and Hewitt in the same team, and I am seeing enough in Hewitt over the final part of the season to think that he steps into that engine room role. If pushed, Warner to make way for JPK, then, but perhaps only a matter of time? Hamstring injury this late in a stellar career is a worry. Remember how quick the end has been for a number of players once they get a late career injury? I have a WCE friend who constantly used to chip me about the Swans being unable to effect rebuilds because of our attachment to players, and I guess that is part of my thinking, too.

The ruck question is harder, and my inclination is to find a way to get Amartey into the team, as he also offers that height down the line as well as being a forward option. Perhaps McDonald out for Amartey?

I can't see how to get Fox into the team without injuries

Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    I am thinking that we can't pick Parker, Kennedy, Mills, Warner, Rowbottom and Hewitt in the same team, and I am seeing enough in Hewitt over the final part of the season to think that he steps into that engine room role. If pushed, Warner to make way for JPK, then, but perhaps only a matter of time? Hamstring injury this late in a stellar career is a worry. Remember how quick the end has been for a number of players once they get a late career injury? I have a WCE friend who constantly used to chip me about the Swans being unable to effect rebuilds because of our attachment to players, and I guess that is part of my thinking, too.

The ruck question is harder, and my inclination is to find a way to get Amartey into the team, as he also offers that height down the line as well as being a forward option. Perhaps McDonald out for Amartey?

I can't see how to get Fox into the team without injuries
    Sorry but Wicks doesn’t deserve a spot- his forward pressure be damned. Put Amartey in as he is needed in the ruck and up forward. His marking alone would put more pressure on defenders than Wicks does by running around. Let’s learn the lesson from yesterday’s game once and for all! If you’re not landing tackles that stick then you’re not applying pressure in my book- period!

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Sorry but Wicks doesn’t deserve a spot- his forward pressure be damned. Put Amartey in as he is needed in the ruck and up forward. His marking alone would put more pressure on defenders than Wicks does by running around. Let’s learn the lesson from yesterday’s game once and for all! If you’re not landing tackles that stick then you’re not applying pressure in my book- period!
    Respectfully disagree. Small pressure forward is key part of structure, and Amartey plays a different role (as do Papley and Hayward).
    I think that the choice is between McDonald, Amartey and Reid for now, with McDonald moving to cover Buddy when Buddy goes. I'm not sure that the balance was right with Bell and Wicks, but Wicks is a keeper in a role which doesn't get much love in the Champion Data Universe. On television we just don't see how much ground he covers cutting off switches, drawing defenders away, and, when the structure requires it, he is a handy target. Gulden could play a similar role, but is more useful in the more attacking role around the ground.

Suspended by the MRP
    Thinking we will trade Hewett but keep Parker and Dawson

B Cunningham Mccartin Fox
    HB Blakey Rampe Lloyd
    C Dawson Mills Mcinerney
    HF Gulden Franklin Heeney
    F Hayward McDonald Papley
    Foll Hickey Parker Warner

Int Kennedy Florent Campbell Wicks

Medi sub Amartey

Respectfully disagree. Small pressure forward is key part of structure, and Amartey plays a different role (as do Papley and Hayward).
    I think that the choice is between McDonald, Amartey and Reid for now, with McDonald moving to cover Buddy when Buddy goes. I'm not sure that the balance was right with Bell and Wicks, but Wicks is a keeper in a role which doesn't get much love in the Champion Data Universe. On television we just don't see how much ground he covers cutting off switches, drawing defenders away, and, when the structure requires it, he is a handy target. Gulden could play a similar role, but is more useful in the more attacking role around the ground.
    Understand your view on Wick’s role, which is great in theory; trouble is I don’t see him doing it well. I used to think that it’s due to watching the game on TV, with limited view of the play. If this were true, surely we would see other forwards with more space, if defenders are being pulled out of position, and this very rarely happens- Buddy usually has a couple hanging off him and Paps, Heeney and Wilbur mostly have to make their own space. Hence the constant and pointless bombing to the forward line. If Wicks or Bell were performing as intended, surely this could be avoided a lot more. Don’t need either of them- sorry.

Understand your view on Wick’s role, which is great in theory; trouble is I don’t see him doing it well. I used to think that it’s due to watching the game on TV, with limited view of the play. If this were true, surely we would see other forwards with more space, if defenders are being pulled out of position, and this very rarely happens- Buddy usually has a couple hanging off him and Paps, Heeney and Wilbur mostly have to make their own space. Hence the constant and pointless bombing to the forward line. If Wicks or Bell were performing as intended, surely this could be avoided a lot more. Don’t need either of them- sorry.

I would say that it was happening in the fourth quarter, when we were getting good entries and finding marking targets inside 50. By then we seemed to be benefitting from all that extra attention going to Franklin, and there being more space opened up on the fat side. Converting those marks into goals was the problem!! Earlier in the game, because we weren't able to spend time managing possession, our entries were panicked and Buddy-focussed, which allowed GWS to double and triple-man him. But I agree that we don't need both Wicks and Bell in those roles.

But I don't want you to think that I'm player-obsessed, and I'm really happy to have this exchange of opinions!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post

HB Blakey Rampe Lloyd
    C Dawson Mills Mcinerney

Medi sub Amartey
    Same problem with my team: no back-up ruck. Have to find a way to get Amartey into the 22!

Suspended by the MRP
    Same problem with my team: no back-up ruck. Have to find a way to get Amartey into the 22!
    Could easy take Fox out , Amartey in and then have any of Dawson McInerney Campbell playing out back in Fox's place

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post

HB Blakey Rampe Lloyd
    C Dawson Mills Mcinerney

Medi sub Amartey
    That’s fine TB- but please explain why Wicks is better than Rowie. However, don’t say Wicks plays a useful team role
    because that is BS pure and simple. He is not best 22 by a long shot at this stage. He and Bell were shocking yesterday and both belong to the ressies. Both can look elsewhere- a bit harsh but we don’t need passengers.

Suspended by the MRP
    That’s fine TB- but please explain why Wicks is better than Rowie. However, don’t say Wicks plays a useful team role
    because that is BS pure and simple. He is not best 22 by a long shot at this stage. He and Bell were shocking yesterday and both belong to the ressies. Both can look elsewhere- a bit harsh but we don’t need passengers.
    Thats your opinion ,

Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast