Thread: 2018 draft or 2019 draft?

2018 draft or 2019 draft?

Hi all,

Unless you have been living under a rock the last few years, you would know that the 2018 draft is seen as something of a "super draft". Many commentators called it the best draft since the famous 2001 draft. My sons were also in the same league as a lot of the boys taken in that draft so it was also the draft that had the most buzz around it in my household!!

It boasts some great talent.. I have grouped them into "elite", who have shown in their first 3 years that they already have potential superstar written all over them, and "contributors", who maybe haven't shown as much but have still found ways to contribute to their club and slot into the 22 of their teams most weeks.

Elites: Sam Walsh (pick 1), Jack Lukosius (pick 2), Max King (pick 4), Connor Rozee (pick 5), Ben King (pick 6), Bailey Smith (pick 7), Tarryn Thomas (pick 8), Nick Blakey (pick 10), Zak Butters (pick 12), Justin McInerney (pick 44 - wow!!!)

Contributors: Isaac Quaynor (pick 13), Xavier Duursma (pick 18), James Rowbottom (pick 25), Rhylee West (pick 26), James Jordon (pick 33), Laitham Vandemeer (pick 37), Curtis Taylor (pick 46), Jacob Koschitzke (pick 52), Connor Idun (pick 61)

No doubt a fantastic draft... but I pose the question to you RWOers... is everyone sleeping on the 2019 draft??

If we did the same for that draft...

Elites: Matt Rowell (pick 1), Noah Anderson (pick 2), Luke Jackson (pick 3), Caleb Serong (pick 8), Tom Green (pick 10), Kysaiah Pickett (pick 12), Cody Weightman (pick 15), Mitch Georgiades (pick 18), Chad Warner (pick 39)

Contributors: Lachlan Ash (pick 4), Hayden Young (pick 7), Liam Henry (pick 9), Will Day (pick 13), Miles Bergman (pick 14), Deven Robertson (pick 22), Harry Schoenberg (pick 24), Jeremy Sharp (pick 27), Trent Rivers (pick 32), Harrison Jones (pick 30), Jack Mahony (pick 34), Trent Bianco (pick 45), Hugo Ralphsmith (pick 46), Jake Riccardi (pick 51), Ryan Byrnes (pick 52), Trey Ruscoe (pick 55)

Weighing them up against each other, there's just as much "elite" talent in the 2019 draft as the year before, while there's even more from the 2019 who have gone on to be "contributors" than from the 2018 draft! The 2018 draft has a lot of players in the early rounds who haven't gone on to do much at all so far - Chayce Jones (pick 9), Jackson Hately (pick 14), Ned McHenry (pick 16), Sam Sturt (pick 17), Riley Collier-Dawkins (pick 20), Ely Smith (pick 21), Xavier O'Halloran (pick 22), Jez McLennan (pick 23), Tom Sparrow (pick 27), Xavier O'Neill (pick 28), Will Kelly (pick 29), Will Hamill (pick 30), Luke Foley (pick 31), Luke Valente (pick 32) etc etc etc.

As well as some who have got by on enormous promise as a junior and some name recognition, like Izak Rankine, Jye Caldwell, Jordan Clark, Liam Stocker and Bobby Hill.

What do you guys think?? Agree or disagree? Is the 2019 draft wrongfully overshadowed by the 2018 draft? Ultimately it doesn't really matter - but just a bit of fun discussion!! Either way I am thrilled with the players we were able to pick up from both drafts!!

CHEER CHEER

I think you might have gone a tad early on the Chad as an "Elite"

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Hi Markwebbos,

Maybe i did.. heh.. but I think we saw this year that Chad's best can definitely be elite. His overall numbers and performance won't reflect that yet, but it's the same with Rowell, who has really only had a few belter games early last year but enough to know he can get to that level.. Blakey another who only strung together half a dozen or so great games in defence, enough to show he could be elite.. You don't need to see much of these types to know they are pretty special, but fair enough if you want to keep a lid on it!!

The top end talent in the 2018 draft is hard to beat. The 2019 draft is looking okay, but it's too early to tell how things will pan out. It's a bit disappointing so far with the way our 1st 2 picks in that draft have turned out, although I think they both still hold plenty of promise and by no means should they be considered busts at this early stage.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonBible View Post
    Hi Markwebbos,

Maybe i did.. heh.. but I think we saw this year that Chad's best can definitely be elite. His overall numbers and performance won't reflect that yet, but it's the same with Rowell, who has really only had a few belter games early last year but enough to know he can get to that level.. Blakey another who only strung together half a dozen or so great games in defence, enough to show he could be elite.. You don't need to see much of these types to know they are pretty special, but fair enough if you want to keep a lid on it!!
    I think Chad has potential, but there a plenty of players that show glimpses. Matt Rowell scored 9 Brownlow votes in his first 4 games.

Blakey has shown more than the Chad and could well explode in 2022. I'm happy to hope both are elite by this time next year.