Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Finals Week 2: ugghhh, they're all other games.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Guys, let’s admit the only way to beat them is by playing better football- like we did- otherwise you’re playing against the umps as well and they control the whistle. Last night I thought in fairness they handled the ball a bit cleaner than the Lions, who really only had Cameron up forward. But of course the umps had to finally help them out, especially in the last quarter.

Anyway, Happy Fathers Day to all our Dads!
    Yes. Umps did their best in round 17 with 2:1 free kick count. It’s hard to fathom how they can get away with that without any scrutiny allowed.

No one can reasonably expect they get every call correct, but they should not be allowed to get away with getting enough wrong to significantly affect a game.

I don’t want to see players or coaches getting stuck into them, but I think more could be done to reward the better umps.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    How could they possibly work out who to give the free kicks to. Would be either 0 - 0 free kicks at full time or 214 to 210.....
    And the head to head throwing clash between Liberatore and Oliver will be one for the ages. Both have a golden ticket allowing them to throw with impunity, without penalty - will be fascinating to see who can use it more prolifically.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    …of all the decisions made and not made, however, the one that galls me the most is the Poodle free kick at the centre bounce after the Lions had scored a goal to level the scores with about a minute to go! Those umps just could not wait to give the Poodles a chance to go into attack again!
    Hmmm… sort of knew they’d find a free kick from that centre bounce & they didn’t disappoint (well, they did, but you know what I mean).

Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    And the head to head throwing clash between Liberatore and Oliver will be one for the ages. Both have a golden ticket allowing them to throw with impunity, without penalty - will be fascinating to see who can use it more prolifically.
    Liberatore seems to have mastered the art, of the apparently legal, falling handball: where he breaks his fall with one hand, but gets a 'handball' away with the other. Quite a skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    Hmmm… sort of knew they’d find a free kick from that centre bounce & they didn’t disappoint (well, they did, but you know what I mean).
    At the time, I was in the process of posting, "What's the bet, that at the next centre bounce, the Bulldogs will..." But was as far as I got, before the whistle made the post redundant.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    At the time, I was in the process of posting, "What's the bet, that at the next centre bounce, the Bulldogs will..." But was as far as I got, before the whistle made the post redundant.
    The umpire couldn't blow his whistle quick enough! You did well to get half a sentence out!

Veterans List
    Here is a discussion point. In the last quarter Robinson was backing back for a mark and Norton came charging in, launched for the mark, got nowhere near it and Robinson was catapulted forward in a violent fashion; play on. There may have even been head contact. It was called play on, yet at the time I thought how was that not a free. If that was reversed and it was Norton in front 20 metres from goal would that have been called an unrealistic attempt/push in the back.

The only conciliation is that it won't effect us this year.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Here is a discussion point. In the last quarter Robinson was backing back for a mark and Norton came charging in, launched for the mark, got nowhere near it and Robinson was catapulted forward in a violent fashion; play on. There may have even been head contact. It was called play on, yet at the time I thought how was that not a free. If that was reversed and it was Norton in front 20 metres from goal would that have been called an unrealistic attempt/push in the back.
    Yep! Robinson couldn't believe he got nothing for that. Just another thing that went the Poodles' way!

All I can do now is forget about it and play
    Greg Champions
    That’s the Thing about Football

Regular in the Side
    Totally amazed when the fairy puppies were called up early in the game for a throw but normality was restored by the end with frees 28-19 in their favour.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    The only conciliation is that it won't effect us this year.
    Consolation

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast