Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: General off-season footy chat

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    An article I breezed through this morning about the rental rate increases around the capitals from quarter to quarter then seeing photos of some of the new faces at training had me thinking about COLA. I did a quick comparison of the AFL cities and some average or base salaries- the average for AFL cities here comes to $487 and is just a basic average across the averages of the cities so doesn't account for housing stock etc. Also- I have no idea if draftees actually pay their own rent.

I'm sure the club is constantly in the ear of the AFL about this, but I'd love to see how they present the data (I don't think this is a particularly great way to).
    Attachment 2332

Attachment 2333

https://www.smh.com.au/property/news...12-p59npw.html
    From my research on the areas they live that is very low. I researched Lilyfield, Balmain, Rozelle, Glebe, city, then the beach suburbs and my figures are considerably higher than that.

The boys share accommodation. So larger dwellings, 3-4 BR. But if they were sharing a 2 BR apartment in say Bondi the average is around $800/week. That is $400ea. Some of the other beachside suburbs are even more expensive, like Tamerama, about $1,000/week

But we do not know who they get the bigger properties through and what sort of deal they are doing with the owners and real estate. Larger properties are historically harder to rent so they tend to be slightly more affordable.

In the other states rentals would be nowhere near that.

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

Veteran Site Admin
    Most of the players in their first few of years (those coming from interstate, at least) seem to congregate in Maroubra. I imagine the club has a stock of three and four bedroom houses that they essentially rent long term, and they shuffle the players through those. After that initial three year stint, most probably move on to their own sourced accommodation. The better paid seem to graduate towards Bondi, though we know that Parker hasn't budged from Maroubra.

Maroubra is definitely cheaper than the beach suburbs to the north, and also has a larger stock of three and four bedroom family houses that aren't mansions. But it would certainly still be well above the Sydney average.

It should also be acknowledged that, while COLA is no more, those Swans and Giants below the median salary do receive a rental allowance from the AFL above their contracted salary. According to the article below, this was set at $15,000 pa ( so just under $300 per week). But the article dates from 2014 so the amount might have changed since then.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...520-zrj5l.html

It would be fair to say that when afl players move into a cycle of buying a nice house in Sydney they also receive a significant non CGT asset that climes nicely in $

Much more than other states in median price

I like how the AFL assisted with the young players re rental assistance

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    It would be fair to say that when afl players move into a cycle of buying a nice house in Sydney they also receive a significant non CGT asset that climes nicely in $

Much more than other states in median price
    The gain you make when you sell a house isn't dictated by what you pay for it. Indeed, if you buy at the top of the market, your eventual gain should be lower (though the Australian property market has defied rational predictions in recent years). You also pay more in interest over the life of your mortgage if the price is higher (or forgo more in opportunity cost of investing the funds elsewhere), which offsets the gain you make.

Absolutely agree Liz

But equally true has been some outstanding opportunities last 5 years for many of our players in the blooming Sydney property hot bed.

My mate who bought in Manly for $3mill just under 5 years ago and sold for $6.3m with no renovations.

That's a cool $3.3m gross profit and do able for many of our swans in the eastern suburbs etc

$140k pa repayments is what a player like Issac Heeney could afford in repayments and especially over a 5 year period as above example.

Same for a few other swans could also afford vs the avge $260k pa AFL wage. A great was $360k pa in 2019 but the below players are most likely all above the average.

Parker
    Kennedy
    Rampe
    Bud
    Mills
    Paps
    Lizard
    Hayward
    Tom mccartin
    Etc

Would have been same opportunity for Dawso and Hewett me thinks.

Longmire, blakey, Harley

Ie elite coaches and emerging CEOs have also tremendously benefited from buying into Sydney property markets at low interest rates last 10 years or so.

Harley has been up here since 2011 with NSW AFL and Channel 7 prior to the Swannies 2014ish..........and been through two significant booms !

But as you allude to Liz.........when the pendulum swings.......well Hopefully the master of our new attacking game "The Don" didn't buy in the last 12months ....... because he will be a bust in a year or two from now ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜œ

Ouch

Great, readable article by Max Gawn about his post-GF experience: The higher purpose at the heart of this - AthletesVoice.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Great, readable article by Max Gawn about his post-GF experience: The higher purpose at the heart of this - AthletesVoice.
    Ta, I do like Max Gawn.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Looks like Jack Darling wonโ€™t be playing much this year. Stood down as unvaccinated.

Seems to be some speculation in the West he may be waiting for the new Novavax vax, mixed with some suggesting heโ€™s no hope of returning.

The line snorters were already going to struggle this year based on their ageing list, McGowans border closure exaggerated their woes by likely forcing them out of state for stretches, and now this.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Veterans List
    I've watched a lot of our 2021 games over summer and Hewett was a significant contributor. I understand (I think) why we let him go but according to the Herald Sun

Their two boom recruits, former Swan George Hewett and ex-Docker Adam Cerra are both impressing on the track early. Hewett was clean below his knees and his defensive workrate was a stand out

We used the Hewett compo to select Corey Warner, the second plank of our four plank Warner family recruitment :-)

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    I've watched a lot of our 2021 games over summer and Hewett was a significant contributor. I understand (I think) why we let him go but according to the Herald Sun

Their two boom recruits, former Swan George Hewett and ex-Docker Adam Cerra are both impressing on the track early. Hewett was clean below his knees and his defensive workrate was a stand out

We used the Hewett compo to select Corey Warner, the second plank of our four plank Warner family recruitment :-)
    I like him but we didnt need him

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post

I'm a big fan of George. I've got no doubt he'll lead from the front and show a few of his team mates how it's done. I wish him all the best.