Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: General off-season footy chat

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by gloveski View Post
    It was well known he was playing with a fractured back hence his dramatic drop in form. The poor bugger has carried that team for years and chose to play whilst injured to help his team knowing he would cop flack for drop in input .
    If he was carrying a whole team on his back, no wonder his back was fractured.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Quote Originally Posted by gloveski View Post
    It was well known he was playing with a fractured back hence his dramatic drop in form. The poor bugger has carried that team for years and chose to play whilst injured to help his team knowing he would cop flack for drop in input . If that’s not leadership I don’t know what is
    That is actually very poor leadership.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I should add that carlton does suffer from the messiah complex. Great players of theirs get elevated way beyond their raw football ability.
    A very astute obligation Barry. I have that same feeling as up until season 2021 the Melbourne media was all over him. There was always the injury excuse proffered for a poor performance but this year he was put on the back burner. Maybe another one who believed his own publicity. What surprised me is he had the opportunity to go back to WA but re-signed with Carlton. Maybe he already knew that Teague would be replaced. It was mentioned that his body language towards Teague was rather so, so this year and the effort seemed to be missing.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I have an incredible feel for the game, as you would have no doubt noticed during your time on RWO.
    Lucky i wasn't eating cornflakes at the time I was reading that comment
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    Rate and respect Gerard Healy's comments quoted in this piece about the Melbourne club vultures hovering over the Gold Coast. Unedifying, disrespectful, arrogant. “Embarrassing and disrespectful”: The trade scenario that's left a Brownlow Medallist unhappy.

I felt much the same about the Adelaide list manager's comments about 'Jordy Dawson' today. Pay up first before you convey ownership thanks mate.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Rate and respect Gerard Healy's comments quoted in this piece about the Melbourne club vultures hovering over the Gold Coast. Unedifying, disrespectful, arrogant. “Embarrassing and disrespectful”: The trade scenario that's left a Brownlow Medallist unhappy.

I felt much the same about the Adelaide list manager's comments about 'Jordy Dawson' today. Pay up first before you convey ownership thanks mate.
    He's absolutely right. There have been other articles recently about how Adelaide are keen on Lukosius and Rankine, with a suggestion they won't use next year's first round pick in a potential trade for Dawson because they need to keep it available to secure one or both of the Gold Coast boys.

How long until rumblings start about clubs keen on luring Anderson and Rowell back to Melbourne.

I reckon the AFL should introduce a Gold Coast tax whereby any club poaching a required Gold Coast player before they reach free agency status cops a 25% salary tax cap (ie an extra 25% on the contract they pay that player) for the whole of the contract or the time until free agency would have been reached, whichever is longer.

I actually reckon a similar kind of salary cap tax on any required player poached from any club before they've reached free agency is something worth thinking of, but some urgent action is needed to give Gold Coast a chance to build and keep a list that will enable them to establish something sustainable.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    He's absolutely right. There have been other articles recently about how Adelaide are keen on Lukosius and Rankine, with a suggestion they won't use next year's first round pick in a potential trade for Dawson because they need to keep it available to secure one or both of the Gold Coast boys.

How long until rumblings start about clubs keen on luring Anderson and Rowell back to Melbourne.

I reckon the AFL should introduce a Gold Coast tax whereby any club poaching a required Gold Coast player before they reach free agency status cops a 25% salary tax cap (ie an extra 25% on the contract they pay that player) for the whole of the contract or the time until free agency would have been reached, whichever is longer.

I actually reckon a similar kind of salary cap tax on any required player poached from any club before they've reached free agency is something worth thinking of, but some urgent action is needed to give Gold Coast a chance to build and keep a list that will enable them to establish something sustainable.
    Great idea. Send it on, I reckon.

The AFL seem to have the intent with the Gold Coast, but yet not the wit.

(Hopefully they at least get that Touk Miller signature done.)

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Finlayson for a future 3rd seems good business for Port! Although query why they need him? They've got: Dixon, Ladhams (maybe this makes it more likely he gets traded), Marshall, Georgiades all playing that tall forward role. Plenty of KPD depth too I think.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Senior Player
    So Rory Lobb wants to go back to the Giants. I can see how living in the Peoples Republic of WA would get to you after awhile.

West Coast getting SPS for pick 52 and the Demons picking up Dunstan for nothing also seem like good business.

Rory Lobb might be attractive to GWS at a reduced salary but I still wouldn't pay much trade currency for him if I were them. And I certainly wouldn't want to see the Swans touch him.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Senior Player
    Yes, Lobb always struck me as one of those "I'm not feeling it today fellas, so you go get the ball and I'll be standing over there, and
    if you can kick it to me every so often coach will think I'm doing something" guys. A bit like Finlayson actually. I remember what was
    meant to be his "breakthrough" game in 2016 where he took something like ten contested marks (which is more than a lot of players
    take each season) and kicked a pile of goals and tore up Hawthorn. He has just never really put together a consistent body of work
    as they say in the art world.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    So Rory Lobb wants to go back to the Giants. I can see how living in the Peoples Republic of WA would get to you after awhile.
    The locals seem pretty happy if the last state election result is anything to go by. Don't forget, not everyone squeals "LIBERTY!"

Lobb's just desperate to keep his mediocre career alive.

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast