Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: General off-season footy chat

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Wow! Go North. That’s going to make clubs think twice about delisting and relisting players.
    Why go north ? They pick up another average player , didnt they learn from Polec , Hall , that Walker , all nobodies because they cant attract any A or B graders

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Why go north ? They pick up another average player , didnt they learn from Polec , Hall , that Walker , all nobodies because they cant attract any A or B graders
    He has one year of salary at Suns at $400k. North offered him two at $500k and a trigger on a third. That’s why from his perspective.

As for North, I’m less convinced. I get the idea of some bigger bodies around young players. But it’s not like they are all neophytes. Cunnington is a gun contested beast. Simpkin, JDU and Thomas aren’t kids anymore, and they’ll want to give mid time to their excellent recruits from last year and the no1 pick this year.

North are actually building a nice list. They’ve got mids, ruck and parts of forward line covered - albeit with a couple of years of development. Their weakness is down back and outside run, maybe a zippy small forward.

My main guess is they think he can play a role and he’s a total pro off the field.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Veterans List
    Difficult to know if the Greenwood defection is a surprise to Gold Coast, but if it is, they have messed up badly - AGAIN!

Gold Coast's list management and recruiting has been a shambles for years.

Ended up with a full list of 2022 contracted players with no room to move for this years draft

Just weeks ago they traded a bag of useful picks to the Pies for the Pies F2, F3 & F4 when they probably could have traded the picks individually for a much better outcome.

Last year recruited Rory Atkins on a four year deal. Crows supporters couldn't wait to get rid of him and he hardly featured for GC this season, as many expected, three years left on his contract.

Did a bizarre pick swap about three years ago, for hard to see reasons and massively weighted in WCE favour.

Gave up pick 2 for Weller. Was a FA the following season

Etc, etc, etc. Not the dealings of a competent list management team.

But I digress from what this thread is about - Swans!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    Kinda with you here. Tough to see what role he plays in a rebuilding squad.

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    He has one year of salary at Suns at $400k. North offered him two at $500k and a trigger on a third. That’s why from his perspective.

As for North, I’m less convinced. I get the idea of some bigger bodies around young players. But it’s not like they are all neophytes. Cunnington is a gun contested beast. Simpkin, JDU and Thomas aren’t kids anymore, and they’ll want to give mid time to their excellent recruits from last year and the no1 pick this year.

North are actually building a nice list. They’ve got mids, ruck and parts of forward line covered - albeit with a couple of years of development. Their weakness is down back and outside run, maybe a zippy small forward.

My main guess is they think he can play a role and he’s a total pro off the field.
    Agreed on North. This list blunder is quite embarrassing for the Suns who already lack credibility. It reminds me of the Swans in the bad old days of the early 1990s. We were really struggling on and off the field then. We were set to pick up a player in the draft and the AFL told us on the night before the draft that we could not pick him up as we had miscalculated our salary cap position and did not have the space for his salary. So we missed out and copped a heap of criticism in the media at the time for our ineptitude.

Veterans List
    I read that Greenwood discussed his move to North with Gold Coast, given the undertaking that GC gave him to re-list him. So it wasn't just him giving GC the "bird".

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    So this is interesting, a conditional allowance for some off field staff at Sydney and GWS to offset the extraordinary cost of living in Sydney.

Like, imagine if the AFL wasn’t run by nefarious gangsters who stripped the club of it for all players in the first place out of spite.

Fitzpatrick and Dill really are criminals.

No Cookies | Herald Sun
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I quite like their line; "However, he didn’t really mention WHICH club’s list strategy he was referring to, did he?"

Though I suppose, somebody could do the same to us, with Lewis Taylor? Not that I'd be that upset.
    I think the players generally delisted with a view to being redrafted are those that clubs won't be too upset if another club steps in and takes them first. Taylor for us this year (and Gray last year), Polec for the Roos.

The Greenwood delisting was a little unusual in that they'd promised to draft him back onto the senior list, not the rookie list. So it wasn't a demotion as such. It's just that they'd got themselves into a silly situation where practically all their list was contracted and they couldn't fulfill the requirement to take at least three players in the ND (with one rookie upgrade permitted) unless they delisted and re-drafted someone.

That said, it's somewhat surprising that they couldn't find someone who was a little more fringe than Greenwood, someone less likely to be nabbed by another club, or one where they could live with the situation if they were nabbed by someone else. And it's even more surprising that they didn't comprehend fully how Greenwood felt about the situation. They were running a risk that another club might take him before them in the draft (where the player can't say no) but the fact that Greenwood has signed elsewhere as a FA (where he had to agree) suggests he wasn't especially cool with the situation.

I'm a little surprised that North has taken him - as expressed by IUI2 earlier in this thread. He's not clearly "best 22" in what is developing as a deep and varied midfield.

Veterans List
    Thanks Liz for moving the GC/Greenwood posts to this more appropriate thread, cheers

I am sure that when the Suns first thought of delisting Greenwood temporarily to accommodate the AFL rule on draft picks, they spoke to the player first to ensure that he was comfortable with the approach. Based on his tweet, he was comfortable. But then North saw an opportunity and came in with a far better deal than what he was on at the Suns. Personally, I think Greenwood has shafted the Suns here but its a salient lesson that a deal is not done till its done. We know how this feels. Dawson told us that we had nothing to worry about and he reportedly told the Swans he was about to re-sign prior to leaving for his SA holiday. The rest is history. Trust is in short supply these days. Having said that, the Suns erred in delisting him rather than someone else in less demand.

So this is interesting, a conditional allowance for some off field staff at Sydney and GWS to offset the extraordinary cost of living in Sydney.

Like, imagine if the AFL wasn’t run by nefarious gangsters who stripped the club of it for all players in the first place out of spite.

No Cookies | Herald Sun
    Get ready for the Victorian clubs to complain about that!

Veterans List

No Cookies | Herald Sun
    +1

Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast