Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: General off-season footy chat

Harley Balic, former Dockers and Demons player, has died: AFL news 2022: Harley Balic dead aged 25, former Fremantle and Melbourne player (foxsports.com.au). I remember his draft year and that he was a prospect that had been talked about pre-draft. I didn't really follow his career. From the article it appears that he may have suicided, possibly OD'd. It isn't stated but they always include the links to Lifeline and Beyond Blue etc when they're specifically avoiding mentioning suicide and that's what they have done here. Very sad. Mental illness is a deadly disease.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Are all of last season's full match replays still available via afl.com.au? I can't find them.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

James Hird returns to the game with role at GWS (afl.com.au)

The thing I like about this is that once there would have been a lot more stigma attached to someone who had tried to take his own life. I think it's fantastic that now that he is presumably feeling better Hird is being recognised for what he has to offer. As for his role in the supplements saga, that is a whole other can of worms (especially in the context of having a role in 'leadership') but which is charitably not mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    James Hird returns to the game with role at GWS (afl.com.au)

The thing I like about this is that once there would have been a lot more stigma attached to someone who had tried to take his own life. I think it's fantastic that now that he is presumably feeling better Hird is being recognised for what he has to offer. As for his role in the supplements saga, that is a whole other can of worms (especially in the context of having a role in 'leadership') but which is charitably not mentioned.
    He never took responsibility. Not once. Sad.

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

Are all of last season's full match replays still available via afl.com.au? I can't find them.
    On the mobile version of the AFL site, just tap the 'videos' icon on the bottom tool bar. Once in the videos section, scroll half a dozen spots down and you'll find match replays for 2021, and 2020 if you're game.

Any news on Paddy Mccartin?

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Swan15 View Post
    Any news on Paddy Mccartin?

Paddy played with our VFL team last season and has been training with us ever since. When I spoke to him last month, I asked him if he was going to be listed and he said yes. When I asked him if he expected to be playing firsts he said "that's the plan". I can't offer anything more concrete than that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    On the mobile version of the AFL site, just tap the 'videos' icon on the bottom tool bar. Once in the videos section, scroll half a dozen spots down and you'll find match replays for 2021, and 2020 if you're game.
    Thanks deja! Now I have found them by looking in the same place I previously couldn't see them.

Yeah, inthough we could sign him from Jan 10, just wondering if that has happened yet or any news on it.
    Paddy played with our VFL team last season and has been training with us ever since. When I spoke to him last month, I asked him if he was going to be listed and he said yes. When I asked him if he expected to be playing firsts he said "that's the plan". I can't offer anything more concrete than that.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks deja! Now I have found them by looking in the same place I previously couldn't see them.

Oh please, it was a complicated issue. Yes, the AFL, Caroline Wilson etc were keen to smear Hird, but others had likely greater involvement (Bomber Thompson, Doc Reid etc). Perhaps you could argue that he shared part of a collective responsibility. It was people like you who were quick to jump on him that caused Hird great hurt.

I noticed recently that Richmond Tigers has 100,000 more followers on instagram

I look at instgram maybe every month or two so not a regular

Seems to be more for youth and late 20s ?

I wonder why we have 100,000 less followers at the swans ?

I also wonder by having an AFLW team at a club whether this will massively increase our social media interaction/ followers vs a mems only team ?

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    An article I breezed through this morning about the rental rate increases around the capitals from quarter to quarter then seeing photos of some of the new faces at training had me thinking about COLA. I did a quick comparison of the AFL cities and some average or base salaries- the average for AFL cities here comes to $487 and is just a basic average across the averages of the cities so doesn't account for housing stock etc. Also- I have no idea if draftees actually pay their own rent.

I'm sure the club is constantly in the ear of the AFL about this, but I'd love to see how they present the data (I don't think this is a particularly great way to).
    KnpRI6y.jpg

zvhCyhX.jpg

https://www.smh.com.au/property/news...12-p59npw.html
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Interesting data Stellation. Implies draftees will be in rental stress in Sydney, but nowhere else, if they pay for their accommodation.