Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: General off-season footy chat

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Which boys' club? Can you be more specific? There are lots of them.
    All the former footy players , bosses, execs , chairmans , agents, media figures etc Based out of Melb and their sons, nephews , grandsons reap the benefits. Private schools , footy scholarships that are paid for not earned. Half the Vic Metro squad bought their way in every year and i know this for a fact. Think the Silvagnis etc. there's a 3rd brother that would 've been drafted to the Blues if SOS was still in his job. Its a boys club and gives outsiders like Jmac no chance unless recruiters like Beatson take the punt on them and thank christ they do from time to time cause half the players from the boys club cant play for peanuts !

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloods View Post
    All the former footy players , bosses, execs , chairmans , agents, media figures etc Based out of Melb and their sons, nephews , grandsons reap the benefits. Private schools , footy scholarships that are paid for not earned. Half the Vic Metro squad bought their way in every year and i know this for a fact. Think the Silvagnis etc. there's a 3rd brother that would 've been drafted to the Blues if SOS was still in his job. Its a boys club and gives outsiders like Jmac no chance unless recruiters like Beatson take the punt on them and thank christ they do from time to time cause half the players from the boys club cant play for peanuts !
    Whoah!

- - - Updated - - -

Ha , if by non traditional you mean not a rich kid who was in the boys club as a junior then yep . How sad for the game
    “Rich kid”? The kid can’t be blamed for the opportunities that a parents want to give them. And the parents can’t be blamed for wanting the best for their children. Sad view on life

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Whoah!

- - - Updated - - -

“Rich kid”? The kid can’t be blamed for the opportunities that a parents want to give them. And the parents can’t be blamed for wanting the best for their children. Sad view on life
    Who said i blamed the kids ? Everyone wants whats best for their kids but its a corrupt system boys who wouldnt make it otherwise get given opportunities through the wallet ! What about whats best for the less fortunate kids ? How many other Jmacs are out there never to be discovered because their spot was given to the kid whose dad owns this or that business or his related to such and such ?

I'm sure there's a fair bit of undue influence that occurs in the opportunities offered to kids, but I'd need a bit more evidence than "I know this for a fact" to accept that it is as widespread and systemic as you suggest.

Veterans List
    Who said i blamed the kids ? Everyone wants whats best for their kids but its a corrupt system boys who wouldnt make it otherwise get given opportunities through the wallet ! What about whats best for the less fortunate kids ? How many other Jmacs are out there never to be discovered because their spot was given to the kid whose dad owns this or that business or his related to such and such ?
    +1 .......Bravo! Money and power corrupt what should be fair processes.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    I'm sure there's a fair bit of undue influence that occurs in the opportunities offered to kids, but I'd need a bit more evidence than "I know this for a fact" to accept that it is as widespread and systemic as you suggest.
    Thats reasonable but im not naming names so you dont have to believe me

Read the story of lewis Taylor prior to drafting and you will be eating humble pie- hardly grew up in privileged circumstances. The kids that make it mostly deserve it. I think you are starting to sound like a Herald Sun / Daily Telegraph headline writer

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by 111431 View Post
    Read the story of lewis Taylor prior to drafting and you will be eating humble pie- hardly grew up in privileged circumstances. The kids that make it mostly deserve it. I think you are starting to sound like a Herald Sun / Daily Telegraph headline writer
    Sorry champ did i say everyone in the AFL grew up rich ?

Veterans List
    At risk of deletion due to being 'off topic', I believe the Murdoch run H/S would never diss a system that favours the rich. Just sayin'.

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    The amount of politics and lobbying that occurs at even the lowest levels of kids sports is astounding. I've seen countless times kids being chosen in rep teams purely due to the influence of their parents. I'd hate to think how many of these kids just give up playing due to the system.

Of course there will be stories like Lewis, but how many more could there be if they were given an equal opportunity?

Thats reasonable but im not naming names so you dont have to believe me
    I didn't say I didn't believe you. I'm sure what you have witnessed personally is true. I'd just need more evidence before I would be prepared to accept that these practices are widespread.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    At risk of deletion due to being 'off topic', I believe the Murdoch run H/S would never diss a system that favours the rich. Just sayin'.
    The same thought occurred to me.

On the veteran's list
    Hate the way a talented Year 11 kid gets ripped out of a government school via a sports scholarship then a few years later the commentators say "another product of the football factory at XXXX Grammar."
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast