Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2022 Captaincy - Leadership Group changes?

2022 Captaincy - Leadership Group changes?

Will there be any changes made to our Captaincy and Leadership Group this year?

With 2022 likely to be Josh Kennedy's final year (sadly), i'm anticipating he'll relinquish his co-captaincy role but remain in the leadership group. My hunch is either Callum Mills or Jake Lloyd will take his spot, with Mills being my preference.

Whilst acknowledging the co-captaincy model has served us well, I personally think this is a good time to revert to the traditional single captaincy model for a period due to Luke Parker imo beng such a standout and in peak of his career, who lifts our team more than any other when needed. Mills would be my Vice Captain. I know this won't happen and most would prefer continuation of the co-captaincy model.

I'm also anticipating Isaac Heeney will be promoted into the Leadership Group. Not sure if he'll replace any of the existing 8 (Parker, Kennedy, Rampe, Franklin, Papley, Cunningham, Mills & Lloyd) or if he'll be just an addition.

Interesting discussion. We should be finding out soon enough - clubs typically announce their leadership groups sporadically over the pre-season and the practice matches are just over a few months away.

Rampe and Kennedy might be in their final years. I think they will relinquish their co-captaincies, and Parker & Mills, our two standout players and leaders from the middle in 2021 will be our two captains. It has been written that Mills will captain this club, and what better time to do so than after a year leading our Brownlow votes!!

Papley will remain, as will Franklin. Cunningham also likely - it seems Harry has really blossomed into a fine leader!

Lloyd might've been a leader of circumstance. Post-2020 season .. we lacked senior players, we were in the COVID hub .. he stepped up when he needed to. He is not as needed now as the list is in a different place, and as a new father, may have other priorities.. he could give his position up.

Heeney i will guess will want to focus on his individual priorities .. getting fit, adapting to a new role in the mids.

A surprise may come in the form of a young gun being promoted.. young Errol Gulden has 'future captain' written all over him.. he already seems a born leader .. mature beyond his years and his teammates seem to respond so well to him .. Justin McInerney could also be recognised for this reason .. he is like Paps was a few years ago .. a crowd favourite who doesn't scream 'leader' in the traditional sense, but who his teammates love and are inspired by. I wouldn't under-estimate Ollie, either. He is frequently given media responsibilities, is coming into his prime now as an athlete, and finished top 10 in the best & fairest which shows how highly he is regarded!!

Definitely believe one of those 3 youngsters will be elevated .. we have an evolving list that is charging into the future and our leadership group will reflect that, with Joey and Dane sticking around to provide their invaluable wisdom!

CHEER CHEER

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I think there's a consensus Joey will likely step down - though if he doesn't, no skin of my nose. He comfortably sits among the greats of this club. But the transition to Mills seems natural. It's then a question of whether Ramps goes round again or not.

I'm not sure re Heeney. This is not a knock on him, but some blokes seem happier without that pressure, and he strikes me as that kind of guy. Wasn't he in the leadership group a few years back, then went out?

Someone above mentioned McInerney, and I reckon the comparison to someone like Paps is a great call.

As for Gulden, he'll be there one day but don't do that to a second year player. And Ollie should be more focused on being a must-have first 22 player. With our new depth, that's not a 100 percent given right now.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by NeonBible View Post
    Interesting discussion. We should be finding out soon enough - clubs typically announce their leadership groups sporadically over the pre-season and the practice matches are just over a few months away.

Rampe and Kennedy might be in their final years. I think they will relinquish their co-captaincies, and Parker & Mills, our two standout players and leaders from the middle in 2021 will be our two captains. It has been written that Mills will captain this club, and what better time to do so than after a year leading our Brownlow votes!!

Papley will remain, as will Franklin. Cunningham also likely - it seems Harry has really blossomed into a fine leader!

Lloyd might've been a leader of circumstance. Post-2020 season .. we lacked senior players, we were in the COVID hub .. he stepped up when he needed to. He is not as needed now as the list is in a different place, and as a new father, may have other priorities.. he could give his position up.

Heeney i will guess will want to focus on his individual priorities .. getting fit, adapting to a new role in the mids.

A surprise may come in the form of a young gun being promoted.. young Errol Gulden has 'future captain' written all over him.. he already seems a born leader .. mature beyond his years and his teammates seem to respond so well to him .. Justin McInerney could also be recognised for this reason .. he is like Paps was a few years ago .. a crowd favourite who doesn't scream 'leader' in the traditional sense, but who his teammates love and are inspired by. I wouldn't under-estimate Ollie, either. He is frequently given media responsibilities, is coming into his prime now as an athlete, and finished top 10 in the best & fairest which shows how highly he is regarded!!

Definitely believe one of those 3 youngsters will be elevated .. we have an evolving list that is charging into the future and our leadership group will reflect that, with Joey and Dane sticking around to provide their invaluable wisdom!

CHEER CHEER
    If we are thinking prospects for leadership amongst the younger brigade, I think Rowbottom is a real chance. He seems to exhibit those characteristics on the field and have a lot of respect amongst his peers. I would imagine that TheBloods, would bristle at the thought.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    If we are thinking prospects for leadership amongst the younger brigade, I think Rowbottom is a real chance. He seems to exhibit those characteristics on the field and have a lot of respect amongst his peers.
    I was thinking the same thing. He's a senior 'young gun' now, is very confident with media (good communicator) and onfield he has a lot of ROK about him IMO. As long as his footy holds up, he would be a definite future candidate for the leadership group.

when ever watching training or being closer down to the fence at a game Rampe and PArker seem to be the spiritual leaders

Mills not far behind.
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Thats cool its a fact!!

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    It's now official that Mills is in, with JPK stepping back to be just a member of the leadership group - with Bud, Paps and Harry C the other three in there.

Mills has long been a captain in waiting so major kudos to him, and we should all bend the knee on a daily basis to be thankful to JPK for being one of the great Swans.

Mills joins Parker and Rampe as Sydney co-captains
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    It's now official that Mills is in, with JPK stepping back to be just a member of the leadership group - with Bud, Paps and Harry C the other three in there.

Mills has long been a captain in waiting so major kudos to him, and we should all bend the knee on a daily basis to be thankful to JPK for being one of the great Swans.

Mills joins Parker and Rampe as Sydney co-captains
    Sort of sad that Kennedy is stepping down, but Mills should be an excellent replacement.
    I wonder which of the co-captains, will get to be captain on grand final day?

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Sort of sad that Kennedy is stepping down, but Mills should be an excellent replacement.
    My sentiments too.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Veterans List
    Last edited by stevoswan; 2nd February 2022 at 10:56 PM.

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    it's illegal to walk around wielding guns like that

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast