Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: General off-season footy chat

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    Side note of interest…The AFL is the fourth highest attended sports league in the world.
    1) NFL - average attendance 67,405
    2) German Football League - 43,458
    3) EPL - 38,168
    4) AFL - 36,637

The NRL is 10,687!!! Also interesting is home many EPL teams have stadiums with capacity in low-mid twenties.
    When you take into account the relative populations, the AFL is way ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    I think averages can be pretty deceiving when looking at these things. Looking at the relative size of each EPL team's stadiums, a huge disparity is apparent as newly promoted teams like Brentford have small stadiums. Median is probably better.

Yeah that was kinda my point.

Senior Player
    Not really. There is very little in it. England's population is 54 million, ours just under 26 million. You have to take into account that
    there are 380 games in an EPL season (total attendance 14.5 million) and 198 in the AFL home-and-away season (total attendance
    7.25 million). So basically England has double our population and double our total attendance at games. They are however better at
    producing great rock bands than us, but our weather is better than theirs. Their rail network is better than ours but our beer tastes
    better. Our golf courses and theirs are on par overall I would say. So it's a toss up really between the two countries in so many respects.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    I think averages can be pretty deceiving when looking at these things. Looking at the relative size of each EPL team's stadiums, a huge disparity is apparent as newly promoted teams like Brentford have small stadiums. Median is probably better.
    I'd suspect median for the EPL might still tell broadly the same story.
    - 5 grounds < 30K
    - 6 grounds 30K - 40K
    - 2 grounds 40K - 50K
    - 7 grounds >50K

Given they have such high average % attendances to capacity, then median likely to lie somewhere near the average capacity size.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

I just looked at the link below which lists all EPL grounds, ranked by crowd capacities. The median is Everton at just shy of 40,000.

Premier League Stadium Capacity 2021/22 - Sports Ball Blog

So our beloved game holds up well! Our ticket prices are much lower too as we sensibly have a salary cap of sorts and so our top players don't earn obscene amounts unlike soccer. Buddy at his highest earnt A$1.6 million, Lionel Messi at PSG is estimated to earn well over US$40 million this season and Ronaldo at Manchester United is on £26.5 million!

Lionel Messi PSG salary: How much does he make per hour, day, week, month, and year?

On the veteran's list
    So our beloved game holds up well! Our ticket prices are much lower too as we sensibly have a salary cap of sorts and so our top players don't earn obscene amounts unlike soccer. Buddy at his highest earnt A$1.6 million, Lionel Messi at PSG is estimated to earn well over US$40 million this season and Ronaldo at Manchester United is on £26.5 million.
    And they don’t even have to use their hands. They have one skill - kicking a round ball.

Veterans List
    It sounds like he wants the AFL to go the way of the English Premier League and have a small number of clubs with much more revenue than the rest due to wealthy owners and large supporter bases dominating the competition each year.
    Sounds like he is trying to get ahead of his fear of failure. To even suggest McGuire on the AFL Board is tantamount to trying to rig the competition.

And they don’t even have to use their hands. They have one skill - kicking a round ball.
    Its actually a very skilful game and includes heading as well. I think a lot of modern trends in AFL have borrowed from tactics used in topline soccer eg building a wall of defenders right out from the box who take away all of the space from attackers and adding outriders to bring the ball straight back in if defenders try to clear the ball. Sounds like Richmond and the Dees to me! We know coaches like Clarko have spent plenty of time studying these tactics and even spent their off-season visiting these fabled clubs. This cross-fertilisation of ideas and tactics across Codes will continue as things become more professional.

This cross-fertilisation of ideas and tactics across Codes will continue as things become more professional.
    I reckon professional field hockey has taken some tactics from AFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I reckon professional field hockey has taken some tactics from AFL.
    Seeing we are completely off on a tangent - I never watch much field hockey, but always enjoy it when I do. Find it a good game in general to watch - very tactical, but with great moments of skilled mixed in. Definitely the most watched of the olympic sports in my household.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Kinda Swans (Swansea Swans) related ... with crowds back next year anyone need a new t-shirt?
    https://www.redbubble.com/i/t-shirt/...42206954.22W0K
    Might be fun to wear against Brisbane?
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017