Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Brownlow Thread (2021)

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by SCGonasunnyday View Post
    Can’t believe dom sheed polled 1 vote in the game where we won by 92. Seems suss
    That is truly bizarre.....and says a lot about the umpires 'attitude' towards the our team. Just gobsmacking.....

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    That is truly bizarre.....and says a lot about the umpires 'attitude' towards the our team. Just gobsmacking.....
    I went and looked at the stats. He did have a lot of possessions and topped the Dreamtime (name?) score. But I think a lot of that was just useless short possessions in the Eagles' back half.

I listened to the first few minutes of the Damo and Nat podcast on the AFL site this morning. They mentioned that the umpires now have access to the match stats before they cast their votes. That may explain - in part - why the mids who get huge amounts of ball dominate the votes nowadays, even if, sometimes, their impact isn't borne out by possession numbers.

(It doesn't entirely explain away the current day dominance of the Brownlow by midfielders because, as that podcast also points out, pretty much every other award, including the AFLCA award, is also dominated by midfielders.)

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonBible View Post
    TB, who are you referring to...? I will assume Chad and... Hickey? Or Errol??
    Gulden and Chad

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I went and looked at the stats. He did have a lot of possessions and topped the Dreamtime (name?) score. But I think a lot of that was just useless short possessions in the Eagles' back half.

I listened to the first few minutes of the Damo and Nat podcast on the AFL site this morning. They mentioned that the umpires now have access to the match stats before they cast their votes. That may explain - in part - why the mids who get huge amounts of ball dominate the votes nowadays, even if, sometimes, their impact isn't borne out by possession numbers.

(It doesn't entirely explain away the current day dominance of the Brownlow by midfielders because, as that podcast also points out, pretty much every other award, including the AFLCA award, is also dominated by midfielders.)
    Hi Liz,

I thought about this too, and came to a reasonable conclusion I hope.

The disparity between a midfielders dominant games and quiet games is a lot less than say a key forward or a defender or a small forward.

A midfielder who averages 30 possessions like Macrae or Wines could have a "quiet game" by their standards and only get 20-25. That could still be enough to net them a vote here and there. But a forward needs to regularly get a bag of goals to poll consistent votes, because 4.1 looks very different to 1.1.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    It was silly, but I didn't mind - it meant the Bont got so agonisingly close, only to see it snatched away.

An exact replica of what I hope happens Saturday night and I wanna see up close shots of the heart break on the face of him and his team mates.
    I'm with you 100%. The worry is that if the GF is as close as the Brownlow, the umpires might become involved and get the Poodles over the line.

Go Dees!!! Please put the Poodles to sleep!!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    I'm with you 100%. The worry is that if the GF is as close as the Brownlow, the umpires might become involved and get the Poodles over the line.

Go Dees!!! Please put the Poodles to sleep!!
    I'm hoping the 'breaking the drought' fairytale which got the Pups over the line in 2016 gets the Dees over the line this year. It shouldn't be this way but if the Dogs get robbed and the Dees win.....it will be sweet sweet karma!

Then we can witness the self unaware hypocrisy from Fairypup fans as they cry "We were robbed!"

The Bont had a look on his face after the brownlow count of "... how could the umpires not gift me the brownlow?... "
    Its become an expectation out near the sewerage works of werribee.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    And if Mills didn’t go to the rugby game he wouldn’t have spent 14 days in a hotel room, and if he didn’t spend 14 days in a hotel room his Achilles injury might not have flared up, and if his Achilles hadn’t flared up he would have played in the EF, and if Mills had played in the EF .......

Lol. have to be content with his 14 Brownlow votes ....
    Conclusion = we must eradicate rugby.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Ollie Wines one of the most average players to win the brownlow?

Like he's obviously a decent player but lacks the x factor of a lot of past winners.
    Tony Liberatore says hi

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post

I went back and checked a write up of that game, largely because I couldn't remember if it was Sheed or Shuey that elbowed Mills (it was Shuey). But the Mongrel Punt article that I landed on, was discussing why they didn't include Sheed as one of their best players for the day. They pointed out, that while Sheed had just as many disposals as their BOG, Mills; Sheed's disposal efficiency was 45%, compared to the 76% achieved by Mills.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    The Bont had a look on his face after the brownlow count of "... how could the umpires not gift me the brownlow?... "
    Its become an expectation out near the sewerage works of werribee.
    LOL.. Werribee a long way from Footscray. Melbourne geography lesson needed.

Veterans List
    Mills five BOG's, developing nicely :-)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast