Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The Grand Final. The season is dead: long live the season!

The secret to bring able to enjoy this grand final is not be too invested in the result. It's going to be hard with the dogs being involved, but if the umpiring is fair, I won't begrudge them a win.

Senior Player
    Someone on Twitter said that the bye makes it feel like the season is over, even though they know the GF is still to come. I know what they're saying. Not fond of hanging around all day for the game either.

I think it could be a very good game. It is after all, essentially the top 2 teams of the year, allowing for the Bulldogs late season slump. I know most of us have mixed - or worse - feelings about the Dogs, but I did begrudgingly admire the way they played through the finals series.

So many questions. Will the long break really disadvantage the Dees? Do they have the mental strength required? How will the Dogs start the game? They seem to relish the underdog status. Can they do a "shock and awe" first quarter, like the Hawks did to the Swans in 2014? Or will it be a tight one all the way to the end.

I think it's the Dees to lose and their best should win it. And I'd like them to, without being especially emotionally invested in the result. Not long until all the questions are answered.

The Dogs are as welcome on here as the Germans were in Stalingrad.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    In 1993, when the Swans were in dire trouble, Melbourne sent Ron Barassi to save the club. From that point on, we became competitive and 12 years later, we broke our premiership drought.

20 years later, we returned the favour when Roos took over as coach of Melbourne. Barassi recruited Roos from Fitzroy.

So I'm hoping Melbourne breaks their own drought. Sure, they've won a lot of premierships, but they have not won any for decades. It's time.
    Allow me to make two comments.

Barassi's move to Sydney brought us premierships, respect and even the ethos and team we still have.

We owe him everything.

From 1955 to 1964, when I was a youth, Melbourne won 6..SIX.. of the available premierships.

And I saw them all. They toyed with the opposition.

"They've not won any for decades", but they're still fresh in my mind. Seems like yesterday. And I hated them.

But 2016 is even fresher in my mind.

Go Demons, and Ronald Dale, I hope you get a lot of pleasure from the win.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    The Dogs are as welcome on here as the Germans were in Stalingrad.
    Got that right Ludwig. Carn the Dees - get the job done.

Hopefully the Dogs season ends in the same way as the germans in Stalingrad.... total annihilation. We can only dream!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Do we think Matt Stevic will:

* just gently slip a couple of extra frees the way of the Dogs, and let Libby throw a few ‘handballs’
    * go for the ones that matter and both deny the Dees a couple of goals at critical times, and gift the Dogs a couple too right when they are struggling
    * go on a full start-to-finish frenzy that sees Dees fans turn into Melbourne construction workers outside his house for the next 20 years.

My bet is the middle one as it’s more his style, but can’t put the latter beyond him.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Bontempelli to be called for chucking the ball in front of the goals in the dying seconds to result in a Dee's win

Veterans List
    One of the big negatives of the Bulldogs being in the Grand Final is that they keep showing footage from the 2016 GF. It still hurts and I hate seeing or hearing anything to do with it.

I would not be angry if the free kick count was 30 to 2 melbours way.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    One of the big negatives of the Bulldogs being in the Grand Final is that they keep showing footage from the 2016 GF. It still hurts and I hate seeing or hearing anything to do with it.
    On last week's Front Bar, they showed a thirty second segment from 2016, that went from a smother by Biggs to a goal by Picken. I was surprised by the number of times that I angrily uttered "ball", in that brief period. God knows what I'd do to my head, if I tried to watch the whole match.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Someone on Twitter said that the bye makes it feel like the season is over, even though they know the GF is still to come. I know what they're saying. Not fond of hanging around all day for the game either.

I think it could be a very good game. It is after all, essentially the top 2 teams of the year, allowing for the Bulldogs late season slump. I know most of us have mixed - or worse - feelings about the Dogs, but I did begrudgingly admire the way they played through the finals series.

So many questions. Will the long break really disadvantage the Dees? Do they have the mental strength required? How will the Dogs start the game? They seem to relish the underdog status. Can they do a "shock and awe" first quarter, like the Hawks did to the Swans in 2014? Or will it be a tight one all the way to the end.

I think it's the Dees to lose and their best should win it. And I'd like them to, without being especially emotionally invested in the result. Not long until all the questions are answered.
    Exactly my thoughts.

If Melbourne play near their best they'll win, but they also feel like the most likely team to choke.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Spot on, Mel_C, spot on.
    Go Demons!!

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast