Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Grand Final. The season is dead: long live the season!

The Grand Final. The season is dead: long live the season!

While Neil has posted this link in another thread, I did want to do it again, because I do like the underlying themes of the article.

Melbourne’s streets without the AFL grand final are a requiem for a team | Western Bulldogs | The Guardian

One thing which I liked, was the sense of history. That is, the game has being going on for a long time. For over 160 years, people just like us have been playing the game, supporting the game, learning about the game, writing about the game, agonizing over the game, rejoicing in the game, and possibly most importantly of all, socializing with others through the game.

The other thing I liked, was how it identified some of the little rituals that we do to, in our own way, become part of the game. The decking out of a garden gnome in club colours. The painting of walls. The showing up at grounds. The nights spent at training. The making of donations. And I could make a very long list, of things that the author didn't mention, of the many ways that we self identify as being part of the game. But there's no real need for a long list. Though I will say, that whatever would be on the list, hints at something very fundamental about how our minds work.

Essentially, I think we're social creatures that have evolved to form social groups. And fundamental to that, is learning and planning. We learn from the past, then discuss what we've learned with other members of our group, in order to plan for the future. Then we might put those plans into action. So, by dressing in club colours, kicking a ball, paying money at the gate, or by writing on a forum, we're saying that we want to be part of a group. And that in our own ways, we think can contribute to a successful future for our group: our team. And of course, the annual plan for our team is a premiership.

Which is a major reason why I'll be going for the Demons on Saturday night. For each season since 1964, their staff, their players and their supporters, have been making plans to bring home a premiership. Each year, many of them would have been working tirelessly to convert those plans into successful action. And each year, they have failed to achieve the ultimate goal. While I'm sure that some of those seasons would have been marred by dumb planning and deranged infighting, I feel just as sure, that in many of those seasons, the plans and the actions would have been sound: and it was only dumb luck that led to another year where the dream wasn't fulfilled. Or maybe it was just an even better plan from another team? But anyway, after a while, the lack of success becomes a bit tragic, so, go the Demons.

And for the other clubs that won't be there on Saturday? Well, we're already looking at draft prospects, working out trades, discussing issues, and hoping that next season, will be our season.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Thanks for starting this thread deja !

If both teams play as well as they did in the PFs, this should be a cracking game. And that will be great - as long as the Demons emerge triumphant!

I have a number of very good friends who are long suffering Demon supporters and I would love to see their loyalty rewarded.

As has been pointed out in another thread, the umpiring "ins" are a plus for the Poodles and that's a big concern. I know I should be over it by now but I just can't forget or forgive what we copped in the GF of 2016 and I hope the Demons don't have to suffer the same injustices. I hope to never see another Poodle premiership in my lifetime so.........

GO DEES!!!! PLEASE!!!

Veterans List
    Great opening post Deja, a good read.....and I will also be going for the Dees.

Actually, won't all RWO'ers?!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Thanks for starting this thread deja !

If both teams play as well as they did in the PFs, this should be a cracking game. And that will be great - as long as the Demons emerge triumphant!

I have a number of very good friends who are long suffering Demon supporters and I would love to see their loyalty rewarded.

As has been pointed out in another thread, the umpiring "ins" are a plus for the Poodles and that's a big concern. I know I should be over it by now but I just can't forget or forgive what we copped in the GF of 2016 and I hope the Demons don't have to suffer the same injustices. I hope to never see another Poodle premiership in my lifetime so.........

GO DEES!!!! PLEASE!!!
    That's okay. I often enjoy it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Great opening post Deja, a good read.....and I will also be going for the Dees.

Actually, won't all RWO'ers?!
    Ta.
    Well, certainly the overwhelming majority.

I'm also hoping for Dees win.but fearing similar 2016 omens occuring for Bulldogs:
    - 2016 first time pre-finals bye came into existence which benefitted Dogs.greatly with their injury list.
    - 2021 first time pre-GF bye comes into existence & again benefits Dogs injury list.
    - Like 2016 Dogs make GF from outside top 4
    - 2016 win knockout final by kick. 2021 win knock out final by kick.
    - 2016 Stevic umpires GF. 2021 Stevic umpire GF.

I hope the demons, but I think the dogs have nothing to lose, and so will thrown everything at them, and steel it.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    I'm also hoping for Dees win.but fearing similar 2016 omens occuring for Bulldogs:
    - 2016 first time pre-finals bye came into existence which benefitted Dogs.greatly with their injury list.
    - 2021 first time pre-GF bye comes into existence & again benefits Dogs injury list.
    - Like 2016 Dogs make GF from outside top 4
    - 2016 win knockout final by kick. 2021 win knock out final by kick.
    - 2016 Stevic umpires GF. 2021 Stevic umpire GF.
    Now you're scaring me! Please don't let the end result be the same as 2016! GO DEES!!

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I wanna see Matt Stevic stumble across Easton Wood's knee and damage it badly in the opening minutes, and the Dogs lose in an embarrassing or cruel fashion. That is all.

Plus, I'm sure there's a thread somewhere on here re fave players from other clubs, but Gawn has to be up there, so go the Dees.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

I want a repeat of the Melbourne v Geelong prelimary final. Melbourne dominant from first bounce. With the Bont to replicate Gary Rohan's effort.

Hoping for a great game but a Dees win, as it is surely their turn.
    Hate to admit it but the Poodles are a very good team and so the two best teams will entertain us, I’m sure.

If the Dees get robbed by the umps like we were in 2016 there will be blood in the streets that will match the recent Melbourne protests!

Doggies throwing ability is elite, so go Dees!

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    In 1993, when the Swans were in dire trouble, Melbourne sent Ron Barassi to save the club. From that point on, we became competitive and 12 years later, we broke our premiership drought.

20 years later, we returned the favour when Roos took over as coach of Melbourne. Barassi recruited Roos from Fitzroy.

So I'm hoping Melbourne breaks their own drought. Sure, they've won a lot of premierships, but they have not won any for decades. It's time.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Out of Bounds on the Full Goal Sneak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    In 1993, when the Swans were in dire trouble, Melbourne sent Ron Barassi to save the club. From that point on, we became competitive and 12 years later, we broke our premiership drought.

20 years later, we returned the favour when Roos took over as coach of Melbourne. Barassi recruited Roos from Fitzroy.

So I'm hoping Melbourne breaks their own drought. Sure, they've won a lot of premierships, but they have not won any for decades. It's time.
    I love this. What Ron was able to do in his time in Sydney changed the trajectory of the club at a time where it seemed hopeless. It'd be fitting for the fruits of that labour to return and help steer them toward a long-awaited premiership. All the better if it's at the expense of the dogs.

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast