Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Season Review

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    No one predicted we would make finals and if someone had said we'll win 15 matches and be a chance for top 4 they would have been laughed at
    Stop facing north, and talking out of your south facing orifice.
    Seriously, go check the 2021 pre season expectations thread - there were actually quite a few RWOers predicting finals.
    And yes, there was a small amount of amuseemnt - but not from anyone worth listening to.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Seriously, go check the 2021 pre season expectations thread - there were actually quite a few RWOers predicting finals.
    Yeah but they were laughed at.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Way above par IMO. No one predicted we would make finals and if someone had said we'll win 15 matches and be a chance for top 4 they would have been laughed at (ie: I don't for one minute believe Bangalore's conveniently 'hindsight' claims).
    Bangalore did predict that we could win the premiership and was probably the most optimistic of all of us. He was also very close on his player predictions. Laughed at or not, he probably came closer than anyone else about how our season would pan out.

I think a lot of us thought we could make finals if things went well, and a lot of things did go well.

And yes, there was a small amount of amuseemnt - but not from anyone worth listening to.
    We were coming off 5 wins Rucky, and playing pretty awful football. Sure, we had Buddy out for the year but there were no guarantees he would get through most of 2021.

We may have been hoping for finals, but the reality is that our game plan was flawed last year and without a plan B, if you recall. We stayed relatively injury free this year, our game plan changed, our youngsters all improved and confidence returned. And re: big Tom, most were sceptical about his value and who could have predicted the influence he was able to exert from the ruck?

Well done to those who predicted finals and 6th place or better. It would have been more on a hope and a prayer rather than careful analysis, I submit.

I’m giving this year an A.

Veterans List
    So I'm talking out of my arse am I? Maybe I should have said 'some' rather than 'no one'. Would you rather I said we had a crap season that didn't meet 'expectations' and I rate it a C-?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Yeah but they were laughed at.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 7th October 2021 at 12:59 PM.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Bangalore did predict that we could win the premiership and was probably the most optimistic of all of us. He was also very close on his player predictions. Laughed at or not, he probably came closer than anyone else about how our season would pan out.

I think a lot of us thought we could make finals if things went well, and a lot of things did go well.
    True but that is basically optimism over reality....most of us ardent fans have that quality in the pre season. It's just a bonus when that optimism actually delivers. It often doesn't....so I would say this season went better than 'most' of us expected. I believe that is an accurate assessment.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 7th October 2021 at 12:59 PM.

Senior Player
    Having no or very few injuries helps the most I think. There is continuity, the best players are out there and players 16-22 think they
    are a chance to get dropped every week, and that keeps them on their toes (mostly). Doing well while we were on the road for two
    months this year was a significant achievement. That experience could have gone badly. The single most important player for me this
    year was Hickey. Having a mobile ruckman who can rack up possessions is like having an extra player. Hopefully he can stay healthy.
    It would be good next year if we can get back to winning almost every game at the SCG. It was such a bonus for us back in the day.
    Plus it makes the walk back to the car after the game more enjoyable.
    Last edited by KTigers; 8th October 2021 at 05:13 AM.

Veterans List
    Here's our clubs top distance per game runners according to this AFL article: Marathon men: Telstra Tracker reveals your club's running machines Look, a link! (which I always provide)

Top-five most distance covered per game in 2021

Callum Mills, 14.03km
    Lewis Melican, 13.55km
    Dane Rampe, 13.49km
    Harry Cunningham, 13.45km
    Errol Gulden, 13.38km

Top-five most distance covered in a game in 2021

Hayden McLean, R7 v Geel, 16.74km
    Errol Gulden, R5 v GWS, 16.27km
    Hayden McLean, R8 v Melb, 15.79km
    Oliver Florent, R18 v GWS, 15.53km
    Sam Wicks, R12 v StK, 15.37km
    Last edited by liz; 2nd November 2021 at 02:48 PM. Reason: deleted subtitle (result of thread merging)

Some surprising results there. Lewis Melican - who would of thought?

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    He is a hard worker can never fault his effort , just lacks a footy brain

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    Lewis was probably running around the carpark looking for his opponent...
    sprite

Senior Player
    Also interesting looking at the fastest players results Harry was our fastest but we were the team with the slowest top speed in the competition so maybe we are not quite as fast as we think.

Speed kings: Telstra Tracker reveals your club's fastest player in 2021

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast