Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Season Review

2021 Season Review

I thought we might have a Season Review thread but it seems we don't have one this year and it's a bit late to start one now. So, I'm posting this link to a Season review from The Roar here: Unexpected delights: Sydney Swans season review (theroar.com.au). Interesting to read but doesn't seem super well informed and there are various bits I don't agree with e.g. I don't think R1 v Brisbane was our best win, I don't agree that Pyke gets all the credit for our evolving gamestyle, I think the prediction that we will finish between 3rd and 12th next season is pathetic (why even bother with such a loose prediction? - might nearly as well say between 1st and 18th) etc. Also I think that a season where we jumped from 16th to 7th and from 5 wins to 15 (that pretty well nobody predicted) deserves an A rating, despite the disappointing loss to the Giants in the Finals.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I thought we might have a Season Review thread but it seems we don't have one this year and it's a bit late to start one now.
    Went from the last game thread straight to the recruitment thread - no time for contemplation/measured analysis/evaluation. I guess that's the 21st century for you. Perhaps after the draft things will settle and you can start up a preview thread.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I thought we might have a Season Review thread but it seems we don't have one this year
    Then start one...

and it's a bit late to start one now.
    Not really.

Suspended by the MRP
    Great season

I think the season was par. We were bottom four in 2019/2020, however these teams were the best bottom 4 teams in living memory. The injury list was horrendous in 2019/2020 and many of the losses were narrow.

I full bounce back was expected with a healthy list and some young guys maturing.

The season was par with a 2 foot tap in.

What a difference having a single competative ruckman can make.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    What a difference having a single competative ruckman can make.
    That, and our young guys improving. An exciting brand of footy to watch and exceeded expectations.

Of course we still have a few gaps to fill but very satisfied with our progress. Applying pressure for 4 quarters is difficult for a young team but if we can improve on this then we should finish top 4 next year!

Go Swannies!

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    An exciting brand of footy to watch and exceeded expectations.
    Not everyones expectations.

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    For me we exceeded expectations.

I guessed preseason that 9th to 12th would be where we would finish, any higher would be a bonus any lower a failure to utilise the talent we had.

I was basing my prediction on having similar run with injuries as previous years, Buddy being managed and playing about 2/3 of the season.

What I didn't expect was how much the recruits would step up, Buddy getting through most of the year, how well we adapted to the covid interruptions and the changed game plan.

Losing those winnable games, hurt us.

So for me the year was a B, a B+ would have been making the top 4 and to get an A we needed to make the GF and winning would be A++.
    sprite

Veterans List
    Are you home alone and bored, watch the replay of our thumping wins against all predictions, the young talent on show, Horse with damp eyes after a win, that's the way to brighten a dull evening and to feel good about the 2021 season.

We were shyzenhouzen against Hawks and Gold Coast and for a period against Freo which burns and eventually cost us a top two spot. That's what makes 2021 a hard to evaluate season.

Great season. Hickey showed that it only takes 1 or 2 list holes to be filled and you can quickly climb the ladder.

Coaching setup looks optimal.

Veterans List
    Way above par IMO. No one predicted we would make finals and if someone had said we'll win 15 matches and be a chance for top 4 they would have been laughed at (ie: I don't for one minute believe Bangalore's conveniently 'hindsight' claims).

Game plan was great....no complaints there, list is relatively healthy and the future indeed looks bright. I would give the season a B+......if we'd beaten GWS in the first final, it would have been an A.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast